A Foreshadowing of Ned Stark's Death

I just started re-reading a few days ago, and I've already ran across points that I completely missed the first time. I looked to see if anyone else had posted about this, but no one has.

When I read these particular lines last night I got chills, knowing what would happen in the future.

The first is when Robert arrives at Winterfell. "Ned! Ah, but it is good to see that frozen face of yours."

The second is Robert again, down in the crypts. " And if I hear "Your Grace" once more, I'll have your head on a spike."

Much later, Ned's head is, indeed, on a spike. His face frozen in death.

Yes, these certainly are common insults, but given the fact that the mother dire wolf was found with a stag antler found in its throat, I agree that Robert's arrival at Winterfell is deliberately infused with harbingers of doom, including his one-sided jocular remarks.  

14 hours ago, Citadel_acolyte said:

Yes, these certainly are common insults, but given the fact that the mother dire wolf was found with a stag antler found in its throat, I agree that Robert's arrival at Winterfell is deliberately infused with harbingers of doom, including his one-sided jocular remarks.  

2 hours ago, Lady Lark of the NorthWood said:

I hadn't even thought about the mother direwolf, but, now that you've mentioned it, it makes those remarks even more chilling.

The symbolism of the finding of the Direwolf pups -- and specifically the significance of how the mother wolf died -- was something that both Catelyn and Ned reflected from the very beginning of AGoT. 

I have started to re-read the series and put down the first book this afternoon because I am at the part where Joffrey is out riding with Sansa and hears the thumps of Arya and Mycah playing. I couldn't bear to read on (for now). 

Archived