Is House Tarth a big enough house that can send a large amount of soldiers if called upon during times of war?

mystickristoff

They were most definitely part of the war of the Five Kings as they were prominent Renly supporters.

"Do you think a few bolts of cloth will make you king?"
"Tyrell swords will make me king. Rowan and Tarly and Caron will make me king, with axe and mace and warhammer. Tarth arrows and Penrose lances, Fossoway, Cuy, Mullendore, Estermont, Selmy, Hightower, Oakheart, Crane, Caswell, Blackbar, Morrigen, Beesbury, Shermer, Dunn, Footly . . . even House Florent, your own wife's brothers and uncles, they will make me king. All the chivalry of the south rides with me, and that is the least part of my power. My foot is coming behind, a hundred thousand swords and spears and pikes. And you will destroy me? With what, pray?

They did have a contigent sent to Renly, but apparently Brienne wasn't involved in their leadership. They were probably among the stormlander infantry that got left behind in Bittersbridge and got subsequently culled by Tarly.

I guess it depends. We don't really now much about Tarth. It appears to be like a mini New Zealand, misty, with what might be great pasturelands for sheep, but its also somewhat mountainous, so I don't know if it's a agricultural producer. Is there a decent population there? Any sizable towns that might have a robust maritime commerce system? 

7 hours ago, Lord Cactus said:

Why have an army when you have a Brienne?

They needed a thousand soldiers.

They had one woman.

She was enough.

Tarth were kings before they were subdued by Storm Kings, so it's safe to say that they are high lords, they have few smaller houses sworn to them. They have strong navy, in TWOIAF is said that Baratheon choose to Tarth for they navy center.

16 minutes ago, Cragen said:

Tarth were kings before they were subdued by Storm Kings, so it's safe to say that they are high lords, they have few smaller houses sworn to them. They have strong navy, in TWOIAF is said that Baratheon choose to Tarth for they navy center.

They do? Wiki doesn't say anything. That's new info to me. 

1 hour ago, Paxter Redwyne said:

Tarths aren't as powerful as reach houses like hightower, redwyne or tarly, but they are still quite strong by stormlands standard. Their island is bigger than greenstone, so they may be even stronger than estermonts.

Well several houses are weak if you compare them to Hightowers or Redwyne. Tarlys are bit problematic since we don't how strong they are compared to another houses in the reach.

Most likely they are average second tier lords. Not superpowerfully, but not weak either. 

11 hours ago, Annarkie said:

According to Arianne I in the Winds sample chapters, Tarth may have fallen to Connington & co.

It's also implied in ADWD...though I have this theory that Papa Tarth is secretly a Targ supporter.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:48 PM, thelittledragonthatcould said:

They were most definitely part of the war of the Five Kings as they were prominent Renly supporters.

I do not think this is true. I think that they stayed neutral in the W5K and that Brienne left to support renly was a source of contention between her and Selwyn.

Selwyn refused Stannis (through Davos) and never joined forces with Renly. Since he is sworn to Storm's End that is odd. The fact that GRRM confirms that Dunk is an ancestor of Brienne (and of Selwyn) the question arises as to whom Dunk had a child with (a child that would be the parent of Selwyn and grandparent of Brienne). The most likely would be one of Aegon's two sisters, I forget which, which might mean that the Evenstar is holding onto Targaryen loyalties.

4 hours ago, HairGrowsBack said:

It's also implied in ADWD...though I have this theory that Papa Tarth is secretly a Targ supporter.

I don't think it is so secret now that GRRM has put Dunk as the grandfather of Brienne possibly by a Targ princess.

Selwyn can very well be half targ himself.

41 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

I don't think it is so secret now that GRRM has put Dunk as the grandfather of Brienne possibly by a Targ princess.

Selwyn can very well be half targ himself.

Well...secret in-universe, I mean, they don't seem to be particularly well-known for being fervently pro-Targ or anything. But then, House Tarth is shrouded in mystery..

Archived