Should I Tell Vegetarians There's Meat in the Food They Ordered?

Xray the Enforcer

11 hours ago, The Shamrock that hides said:

Tradition was once  the wedding cake is broken over the brides head.     I'm now envisioning waking a bride over the head with a dead barbecued goat. 

You could teabag the bride with the goatcakes swollen scrotum. :P (They did not remove the fur from the head and the scrotum for some reason)

27 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

I appreciate being told, personally. I recently took some potato salad thinking, "Yum, potato salad" before realizing it was potato salad with little bits of animal corpse in there.

Meat in potato salad? Weird.

I really want potato salad now. 

X-Ray, sounds like you got this.  I was veg for 10 years, but completely ignored things like my stepsister cooking everything for the holidays in cream of chicken soup.  I mean, if one can stomach a casserole with a potato chip topping, then the chicken part is no big deal.

I'd be more worried if they were so picky that they were completely unable to eat it.  My ex-husband will not eat anything that has a mushroom in it.  He's tougher to feed at Italian restaurants than most of my vegan friends.

Generally, of course you should tell them. It would be rude otherwise. I was vegetarian for 20 years, and absolutely appreciated people pointing things out that I didn't realize whether it was from a friend or waitstaff. I generally asked and tried to make sure in advance but sometimes you aren't thinking or just assume. I recently was with friends and the vegetarian ordered home-made tater tots at the restaurant... and the waiter happily thought to warn her there was bacon in it. Its not something I would have thought to ask about. *shrug*

there are probably exceptions in things like travel or at people's houses but I always err on the side of being helpful. I've never had someone take it the wrong way--I never did when I was veggie. the person on the receiving end can make the informed decision for themselves about it. If you're throwing judgment on the decision, then that's on you. 

5 minutes ago, Rubies & Jade said:

the "onus"? no thanks, I prefer to be friendly and helpful and not treat my friends and relationships in an everyone for themselves kinda way. Its not a war. But maybe that's just me and my friends. *shrug*

onus interrogandi, the burden of asking, which is generally accounted heavier than the onus probandi, the classical burden of proving, but lighter than the anis interrogandi, the asking for the ass.

7 minutes ago, sologdin said:

onus interrogandi, the burden of asking, which is generally accounted heavier than the onus probandi, the classical burden of proving, but lighter than the anis interrogandi, the asking for the ass.

I didn't think vagitarians asked for that.   This board is very informative today.

1 hour ago, sologdin said:

I thought everyone asked for Nasrudin..?

I try to give people a heads up if they are at my house, and they are brave enough to eat my cooking. I admit I have been more willing to ask questions about food, since I have to count carbs for my son. 

Also depends if they are assholes or not.

I would point it out if I thought the person would be upset from having consumed this product by accident. I have done it, for instance, to my Muslim student from Bangladesh, when he ordered chicken corden bleu for dinner entree and the menu didn't describe what it is. I told him there's ham wrapped inside the chicken and so he changed his order.

I think, in general, halal/kosher is just near-impossible in America unless you are extra super vigilant or if you eat only around a Muslim/Jewish-neighborhood. Most of my friends who do care about dietary observance opt for vegetarian entrees when eating out to avoid this. Some resolve the conflict by only eating proper food when they do the preparation themselves, and not let it bother them too much when dining out.

I'd tell them. I don't see what the advantage could be of not. If they know and they're lax then can say ''thanks, but i'm not that bothered'' if they didn't know they will be appreciative of being told. Unless they're a defensive asshole. 

I'd tell them.  I know my gf would be appreciative, and while I severely limit my meat intake to 1-2 times per week, I'd appreciate knowing what does and doesn't contain meat products.

Well, it sounds like this isn't relevant to X-Ray's specific situation, but there's also the question of do you know there's animal product in the food or do you only suspect there's animal product? Because if you only suspect it, it could be that there's not any, and furthermore it could be that the vegetarian already did their homework, found out that the meal is fine, and doesn't need somebody else trying to monitor their dietary habits.

I know I'd appreciate my friends looking out for my interest even if I had already done the homework myself. It shows they care, you know?

YMMV.

Unless the other person is family or someone your in a relationship with, I would consider comments on their menu choices as innapropriately forward. Personally I prefer to take personal ownership of such choices and am most definately NOT interested in bystanders comments over any consumer choices I make. Those choices would include meal orders but also extend to items I buy in the checkout line, apparel, groceries, etc.

Nothing more annoying than a emcee checkout clerk or a lurkish type looking and acting as if they want to stick their finger in your dish ( yes both have happened to me btw). When it comes to this stuff in public, I vote for the buttoutski route.

Archived