is there another dragon egg - or the dragons will extinct?

Itai Peer

35 minutes ago, Knight of Onions said:

If I remember correctly, Maester Aemon says something about the sexes of dragons. Either it was that they're changeable, or that dragons are neither male nor female.

You are correct, dragons are without sex (part of the reason that he thinks the prince who was promised prophecy might have been misread and that no one was looking for a girl).

51 minutes ago, Itai Peer said:

Are there more eggs ? who has them ?

Euron had one that he threw away in a black mood. I don't actually believe he threw it away, but there is one there. I get the sense from early on in GoT by the way Jorah spoke that, while rare, dragon eggs are not unheard of. Jorah knew what they were right away and further had a basic idea of their value.

Further, in Clash, while she is leaving Qarth dany notes merchants on the waterfront selling dragon eggs which she suspects were just painted rocks. Even though those weren't real dragon eggs, the fact that someone would forge rocks and pawn them off as dragon eggs would seem to suggest that they are at least common enough for there to be a thriving trade in them...even if they are so rare that that trade is limited to the very wealthy.

This is more of a question than an answer, but ....do you think we will see more dragons in the series? I would love to see some more dragons. Let's have Aegon Blackfyre hatch a dragon for no apparent reason (that grows really fast), so that he can have a dragon on dragon fight with Daenerys. 

17 minutes ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

This is more of a question than an answer, but ....do you think we will see more dragons in the series? I would love to see some more dragons. Let's have Aegon Blackfyre hatch a dragon for no apparent reason (that grows really fast), so that he can have a dragon on dragon fight with Daenerys. 

Aegon cannot hatch Dragon , only Targ' princess (female) can  .

20 minutes ago, Itai Peer said:

Based on? ...Prophecy? I don't think this is logical, supposedly her dragons have increased magic in the world. See no reason Aegon couldn't hatch a dragon. 

What happened to the eggs that were at Summerhall?

The dragons mix of magic and non-magic is interesting to me. They are obviously the encarnation of fire magic and are called such many times, but beyond breathing fire they are decidedly un-magical. They eat and sleep, which magic often seems to make unnecessary. They behave like you would expect a fairly intelligent animal to. They can be killed by normal means. But at the same time they are indisputably magic, so much so that their sheer existence has changed the world. 

I also think its very interesting that dragon eggs seem to just petrify if they don't hatch instead of decaying. 

1 hour ago, Itai Peer said:

I don't think this is right. As I remember, every young Targaryen had a dragon egg put in it's crib. And every Targ hatched their own dragon and had a special bond to that dragon.

12 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

I don't think this is right. As I remember, every young Targaryen had a dragon egg put in it's crib. And every Targ hatched their own dragon and had a special bond to that dragon.

And furthermore, if there were wild dragons at one point in Planetos then they necessarily must have hatched on their own (or at least without human intervention).

3 minutes ago, Red Man Racey said:

And furthermore, if there were wild dragons at one point in Planetos then they necessarily must have hatched on their own (or at least without human intervention).

right.

However, the nature of their hatching would be something interesting to go into. Presumably they were hatched by other dragons

Euron probaby paid the Faceless Men with a dragon egg for killing Balon, and covering the killing as an accident.

The Faceless Men would like to know how to hatch the egg, so they send Jaqen to the Citadel.

Euron does not worry because he hopes that with his horn he can make even that potential dragon obey him.

By the way he told Victarion about throwing the egg into the sea. In the case of braavos, it was not even a complete lie.

At least I think like this.

It is possible that dragons still dwell beyond Asshai.

1 minute ago, 1/7 Maester said:

It is possible that dragons still dwell beyond Asshai.

I don't think so.  Again, the whole strengthening of fire magic is noticed in Westeros and Essos when the dragons are further east.  It is presented as a clear "no dragons vs. some dragons" difference rather than just having dragons closer than normal.

50 minutes ago, YOVMO said:

No - not every Targaryen. A number of Targaryens tamed old dragons:

Aegon I, Maegor I and Viserys I tamed Balerion

Visenya and Aemond tamed Vhagar (as did Laena Velaryon)

Helaena tamed Dreamfyre

Aegon I,5 tamed Quicksilver

There are the dragons that Bran saw, too:

He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

So, nothing points out at an upcoming eradication of the species. Hell, the dragons were thought extinct at the beginning of the series, and they got considerably better.

39 minutes ago, Jaak said:

No - not every Targaryen. A number of Targaryens tamed old dragons:

Aegon I, Maegor I and Viserys I tamed Balerion

Visenya and Aemond tamed Vhagar (as did Laena Velaryon)

Helaena tamed Dreamfyre

Aegon I,5 tamed Quicksilver

Fair enough. I do think it was custom, at least at one point, for Targaryen's to put a dragon egg in the crib. It is mentioned that some hatch and some don't. The ones that do form bonds with the person whose cribs they were in.

No where does it say that a targ princess is needed for hatching nor would it make sense as the other poster said.

But yes, some dragon lords had trained some dragons.

The past Targaryens would have presumably hatched their dragons from relatively fresh 'viable' eggs, in tPatQ there is some mention of expecting one of the living dragons to lay a fresh clutch and sharing out those eggs. Dany seems to be unique in that she was able to hatch aged fossiled eggs. As previous male Targs failed to hatch aged eggs it seems highly unlikely Aegon (or Jon etc) would be able to hatch dragons unless one of Dany's 3 is able to lay eggs.

I for one believe that the X factor that allowed Dany to hatch her dragons was nothing to with being a Targ (except that Targs are more likely to be crazy enough to make an attempt). Women are often considered magical in a 'life-giving' sense as they bring new life into the world and Dany was the first woman to try and the only person to succeed so it may have only been possible for a woman to hatch dragons from dead eggs. More specifically, she first felt heat in the dragon eggs the morning after she conceived, so I believe that link was essential to hatching them and without having sacrificed the life of her unborn child nothing would have happened on the fire.

Count the individuals who expressly hatched their own dragons in childhood:

Aegon II/Sunfyre

Aegon III/Stormcloud

Baela/Moondancer

Daeron/Tessarion

Rhaena/twice, second time Morning

Rhaenyra/Syrax

Jacaerys/Vermax

Joffrey/Tyraxes

Lucerys/Arrax

Jaehaerys/Shrykos

Jaehaera/Morghul

There is no apparent preference for girls. Boys can hatch dragon eggs just as well.

2 hours ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

There are the dragons that Bran saw, too:

He lifted his eyes and saw clear across the narrow sea, to the Free Cities and the green Dothraki sea and beyond, to Vaes Dothrak under its mountain, to the fabled lands of the Jade Sea, to Asshai by the Shadow, where dragons stirred beneath the sunrise.

So, nothing points out at an upcoming eradication of the species. Hell, the dragons were thought extinct at the beginning of the series, and they got considerably better.

There were no dragons left, 'and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with music of dragons.'

That is narration, that is Martin. Further Quaithe will support this idea. A person from Asshai,

" They shall come day and night to see the wonder born into the world again. And when they see they shall lust... for dragons are fire made flesh... and fire is power."

Born into the world again. Seems like the world was without and she would know after all.

What Bran is seeing is the future, remember that vision is early on, and in Martin's world the visions of the past and present are literal, but the visions of the future are symbolic, like the tide coming to Winterfell, the Iron Born. What Bran is seeing beneath the sunrise, the east, is the Red Comet and the return of the dragons. Bran will later be tied to the comet in chapter 66, and of course 72 is the comet and the dragons being born again in the east and Dany will be tied to Quaithe who is tied to Asshai where the dragon eggs are said to have come. Perhaps Quaithe even sold them to Illyrio.

51 minutes ago, Jaak said:

Count the individuals who expressly hatched their own dragons in childhood:

Aegon II/Sunfyre

Aegon III/Stormcloud

Baela/Moondancer

Daeron/Tessarion

Rhaena/twice, second time Morning

Rhaenyra/Syrax

Jacaerys/Vermax

Joffrey/Tyraxes

Lucerys/Arrax

Jaehaerys/Shrykos

Jaehaera/Morghul

There is no apparent preference for girls. Boys can hatch dragon eggs just as well.

True. It's all a matter of having the "dragon-hatching" gene which mean Daenerys baby-maker is a hot commodity right now.

Archived