What is your opinion on House Arryn?

UFT

i think they are underappreciated and badass overall.

they have a long tradition of chivalry and knighthood, and produced some of the greatest kingsguards. 

I don't have much of an opinion yet even if I love the theme and idea behind it, there have been next to no Arryns in the story or even background so far that its hard to make any conclusions about them. In fact I think that the Arryns are probably the Great House that has the weakest presence so far in both background and main series.

If we got to see some Arryns in the main series, Dunk&Egg and background I might even leave House Lannister the falcon. But so far there's nothing on the horizon which seems to be in the area of changing this situation.

A shame and pity if you ask me.

Big house with its name scattered all over westeros history since their arrival from across the narrow sea, warred with the Kings of winter, married Targs, fought countless battles with first men houses, played one of the biggest parts of Roberts rebellion. Sadly a bit quiet under Lysas rule during Wot5k though but the name will continue to appear throughout the books with interesting storylines I'm sure. 

Artys Arryn must of been a badass to have the Andals unite behind his leadership at a young age. Most great houses founder seems shrouded in legend (Brandon the Builder, Lann the Clever, Durran, etc.) but the Arryns was an established badass who took down another badass to claim his kingdom. The Talon also had a cool nickname...

I'm hoping Harry the Heir inherits and takes the Arryn name, it deserves better than a weakling brat like Sweetrobin.

Honestly, I think House Arryn from what we've seen so far isn't really something with intricate story purpose. As their sigil indicates, they are above the fray, and they are built out from Jon Arryn being basically the proto-Ned Stark, and that's rough because Ned Stark essentially defines House Stark in our mind, which doesn't appear to leave a lot of room for Arryn to have a unique personality in the plot based on what the House is said to stand for.

Obviously as GRRM fills out history he explores wrinkles to show that House Stark isn't all like Ned, and stories could be written around specific members from the past where Arryn & Stark could be contrasted in some way, but as the actual ASOIAF central story, House Arryn thus far essentially is just an echo of House Stark.

Of course the involvement of Lysa, Littlefinger and Sweetrobin is causing it to play out differently in its details, but in the end GRRM will either show House Arryn triumphant in the end along with the Starks, or it will serve as the counterpart to the Starks as a House where honor was not enough to save it.

House Arryn is super cool and a bit of a sleeper because of Lysa's policy of being bat shit crazy and sweetrobin's policy of taking his mothers policy and adding insufferable little twat to it.

That said, any house that has Bronze Yohn as a loyal bannerman is awesome af.

They are a storied house and with a fantastic tradition of chivalry, an interesting culture, a Baratheon bastard lurking about and the only army in westeros that is totally fresh. I expect big things from them...big things indeed.

I've always seen the Vale as Switzerland. Nobody attacks them because they have geography on their side while at the same time, they stay out of most major conflicts that happening on the rest of the continent.

16 hours ago, UFT said:

i think they are underappreciated and badass overall.

they have a long tradition of chivalry and knighthood, and produced some of the greatest kingsguards. 

House Arryn are filthy Andals. 'Nuff said.

4 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

House Arryn are filthy Andals. 'Nuff said.

Curious then how its filthy Andals that plots to return the Starks to Winterfell while the noble master race is dividing itself between Bolton and Baratheon. And House of good and ancient First Men stock, like the Boltons and Karstarks, are at the front to fight the Starks.

1 minute ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

That's show only, Lannister.

Really? I recall Umber, Locke, Dustin and Ryswell being with Roose in Winterfell. I recall the Karstarks trying with some great shenanigans to first lure Stannis into a trap and then to put a dagger in his back when battle is joined. And the books are rather clear that the Boltons are of the same ancient First Man stock as the Starks.

Not to mention the Manderlys' plotting to save Rickon or that it was the Manderlys who gav the North an actual city which previous First Men Houses in the same location had not done.

And so on.

2 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

Really? I recall Umber, Locke, Dustin and Ryswell being with Roose in Winterfell. I recall the Karstarks trying with some great shenanigans to first lure Stannis into a trap and then to put a dagger in his back when battle is joined. And the books are rather clear that the Boltons are of the same ancient First Man stock as the Starks.

Not to mention the Manderlys' plotting to save Rickon or that it was the Manderlys who gav the North an actual city which previous First Men Houses in the same location had not done.

And so on.

What? You only mentioned the Arryns plotting to put Starks back in Winterfell. I never mentioned those houses. 

Archived