NBA Offseason: The Draft, Free Agency and Trade Rumors Oh My!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

16 minutes ago, sperry said:

It's not a good sign when you weren't very good in college. There were much better risk/reward picks in the draft.

The flipside to that is guys who never played a lick of college ball but turned out to be Hall of Famers. Kobe, LeBron, Shawn Kemp, Kevin Garnett, etc, etc. I think a 19 year old Freshmen is pretty much the equivalent.

Funny how we've seen leaving college early become so expected over the years.

When I was a kid really only guys with Hall of Fame superstar potential left college early.

Then it's slowly became well now most players with a bit of star potential are leaving early.

To now we are almost at the point that anybody with a shot at being a decent nba role player is a one and done.

If nba didn't change the rules the NCAA might not produce a single nba player anymore

37 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Funny how we've seen leaving college early become so expected over the years.

When I was a kid really only guys with Hall of Fame superstar potential left college early.

Then it's slowly became well now most players with a bit of star potential are leaving early.

To now we are almost at the point that anybody with a shot at being a decent nba role player is a one and done.

If nba didn't change the rules the NCAA might not produce a single nba player anymore

That goes back to the risk/reward thing too. If you had kids staying 3-4 years, the risk factor wouldn't be nearly as great. You'd have a much better idea of what you were getting.  

47 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Team USA better be serious if they don't want to get embarassed. That's a beatable team.

By who?

Heres the squad coach K will be working with- 

projected depth chart

Parentheses indicate secondary positions:

PG: Kyrie Irving / Kyle Lowry / (Butler)
SG: Klay Thompson / Jimmy Butler / DeMar DeRozan
SF: Kevin Durant / Paul George / Harrison Barnes / (DeRozan)
PF: Carmelo Anthony / Draymond Green / (Durant) / (Barnes)
C: DeMarcus Cousins / DeAndre Jordan / (Green)

Looks like a gold medal roster.

^^^ I have to agree with that, don't see a lot of weakness here.

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

Yeh it will be clearly the best team there by miles but it's not invincible. 

I still think it's the weakest team since the bronze 2004, which on paper looked just as dominant as this team

I agree any given night any team can lose. Coach K's main challenge will be getting players who are used to being the goto option, to flll the role player duties. As the saying goes there's only one ball, so these guys will need to make sure they are moving w/out the ball and not watching each other play one on one and hero ball. I think Carmello is a terrible choice for this team. 

But all in all, i'd be pretty surprized if they get upset (less than gold). It would be pretty entertaining to see them get upset though, lolol.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I agree any given night any team can lose. Coach K's main challenge will be getting players who are used to being the goto option, to flll the role player duties. As the saying goes there's only one ball, so these guys will need to make sure they are moving w/out the ball and not watching each other play one on one and hero ball. I think Carmello is a terrible choice for this team. 

But all in all, i'd be pretty surprized if they get upset (less than gold). It would be pretty entertaining to see them get upset though, lolol.

Carmello has always played great at the Olympics. 

So Durant has denied meetings with the Wizards (cold, brother) and the Lakers but implied within that is that he will meet with the Warriors, Spurs, Heat and Celtics. Maybe even the Knicks. Has to be concerning to OKC that he's open to hearing pitches from so many teams. 

Heard Simmons saying he'd have OKC as the favorite next year if Durant returns as he thought they were the best team in the playoffs this year and made themselves even better with Oladipo. Of course if the Warriors or Spurs steal him away, they'd be even heavier favorites. It's not quite Lebron deciding where to take his talents in 2010 but future titles likely hang in the balance of Durant's choice. Based on the Durant I saw in this year's playoffs I'd be shocked if he doesn't get a ring before his prime is done. 

I hope he re-signs in OKC, Golden State reloads with Nowitzki (would really help diversify their offense) and Cleveland trades Love for assets that make them better. The elite contenders gave us two great playoffs series this year and I really want to see the move/countermove dynamic this offseason. 

So if you're a team that isn't on Durant's radar and are interested in Barnes, you offer him a nice deal right out the gate right?  Golden State only gets three days to match him, and it's unlikely Durant decides where to go that quickly.  It would really fuck them over if a team offers Barnes a big deal the first day of free agency.  If they match, they're out of the Durant sweepstakes.  If they don't and Durant goes elsewhere, they don't have the money to replace Barnes with someone better without trading away several players.

If I were Durant I would stay but San Antonio is one hell of an option; the chance to be Duncan to Robinson for Duncan.  But Portland makes more sense than Boston, the Knicks, or the Heat.  I got a laugh today when a local site reported Denver has reached out to him.  Dream big I guess.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

So if you're a team that isn't on Durant's radar and are interested in Barnes, you offer him a nice deal right out the gate right?  Golden State only gets three days to match him, and it's unlikely Durant decides where to go that quickly.  It would really fuck them over if a team offers Barnes a big deal the first day of free agency.  If they match, they're out of the Durant sweepstakes.  If they don't and Durant goes elsewhere, they don't have the money to replace Barnes with someone better without trading away several players.

Yeah and I was skeptical GS would match the kind of offers Barnes was gonna get to begin with but especially now after his awful Finals performance. I also think the Nowitzki and Batum rumors point to them already looking in other directions. 

1 hour ago, Triskan said:

Someone on the radio today threw out "Why isn't Portland considered a possible destination for Durant?" 

As a Portland fan I am well aware of our challenges landing big NBA free agents, so of course the answer feels like "Because it's Portland."

But from a pure basketball perspective imagine a team with Lillard and CJ in the backcourt that adds Durant?  I would think they'd be really strong and contend in the West as difficult as that is to do.  It's kind of like Washington but with a better coach in that it's a really good young backcourt that just needs one more big scorer.

But of course that's not happening.  It would be utterly crazy to have Durant on the Warriors. 

I think as a 7 footer, Durant's feet will not let him consider going to Portland. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

What would be really interesting is some serious Cloak and Dagger shit from the Thunder. Say they can convince Durant to feign interest in signing with the Warriors while they go after Barnes. Then once they complete the deal with Barnes, Durant pulls out and announces he's staying with the Thunder.

23 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

What would be really interesting is some serious Cloak and Dagger shit from the Thunder. Say they can convince Durant to feign interest in signing with the Warriors while they go after Barnes. Then once they complete the deal with Barnes, Durant pulls out and announces he's staying with the Thunder.

You know back when Wade was a FA in 2010, Riley had him meet with other teams (i.e.: Chicago) largely to gain intel. Wade was always re-signing in Miami. I don't think Durant or the Thunder are that Machiavellian but with visits with the Warriors and Spurs on tap...it'd be kinda awesome if they were.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

They can't do that because, without renouncing Durant's cap hold, which they would never do if they wanted to retain him, they won't have the cap space to sign Barnes to what he's going to make in free agency.  Cap holds exist specifically to ensure teams can't do that sort of thing.

5 hours ago, Triskan said:

Someone on the radio today threw out "Why isn't Portland considered a possible destination for Durant?" 

As a Portland fan I am well aware of our challenges landing big NBA free agents, so of course the answer feels like "Because it's Portland."

But from a pure basketball perspective imagine a team with Lillard and CJ in the backcourt that adds Durant?  I would think they'd be really strong and contend in the West as difficult as that is to do.  It's kind of like Washington but with a better coach in that it's a really good young backcourt that just needs one more big scorer.

But of course that's not happening.  It would be utterly crazy to have Durant on the Warriors. 

Well, Lillard and Durant is just kind of a worse version of what Durant already has now with Westbrook, only Westbrook is arguably a top five NBA player who plays defense.  Lillard is arguably a top twenty player who plays no defense.  Not that Lillard is bad or anything, but I just think abandoning Westbrook for Lillard is an obvious downgrade, so I just don't see why Durant would consider it.

Archived