NBA Offseason: The Draft, Free Agency and Trade Rumors Oh My!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Plus how do you change that culture/mindset? It's not going to happen on the fly.

"Hey guys, I think we've accrued enough talent to make a run now, what's say we start winning?"

Usually you have to make a public sacrifice.  That means firing your coach.  It's damn near impossible to take the same coach from tank years into competing years.

Has there ever been a time tanking worked?

Spurs getting Duncan wasn't tanking.

They had legit injuries to their stars which put them barely missing the playoffs. They only had like 1 or 2 balls in that lottery iirc.

Even if you are THE worst team of the season that gives you a 20something% chance at getting the 1st overall pick. 

I wouldn't be surprised if people were tanking a season to get a Shaq or Lebron but tanking for college all stars seems like a nonstop hail mary

33 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Has there ever been a time tanking worked?

Spurs getting Duncan wasn't tanking.

They had legit injuries to their stars which put them barely missing the playoffs. They only had like 1 or 2 balls in that lottery iirc.

Even if you are THE worst team of the season that gives you a 20something% chance at getting the 1st overall pick. 

Yeah, In the NBA, not so much. NFL? Maybe.

8 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Tanking for a specific Quarterback maybe. How good can tanking for Calvin Johnson or. N'???? Suh actually make you.

Well yeah, The "Suck for Luck" deal with Indy was probably the most recent example. A once in a generation QB seems to be worth the lack of effort, I suppose.

58 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Well yeah, The "Suck for Luck" deal with Indy was probably the most recent example. A once in a generation QB seems to be worth the lack of effort, I suppose.

SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!! INDY LOST ALL THOSE GAMES BECAUSE THEY WERE A BAD TEAM. THEY TRIED VERY HARD.....

Not really.

15 minutes ago, trickster said:

SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!! INDY LOST ALL THOSE GAMES BECAUSE THEY WERE A BAD TEAM. THEY TRIED VERY HARD.....

Not really.

Straighten your spine! You pathetic excuse for a man...

The Colts lost those games with as much dignity as could be had with Curtis Painter at QB.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Straighten your spine! You pathetic excuse for a man...

The Colts lost those games with as much dignity as could be had with Curtis Painter at QB.

That speaks volume about the "effort". 

:leaving:

28 minutes ago, Ramsay Blow said:

My Lakers buddy just came up to me outraged over this. Seriously though, what the fuck are they thinking?

The Lakers are run by idiots now. Which is great if you are not a Lakers fan.

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

Lakers have offered Mozgov 65 million over 4 years.

Makes sense. Hollywood is always looking for the next great actor

2 hours ago, Tinker said:

Any time you can pay a guy who wasn't even good enough to get on the floor in the Finals two weeks earlier 65 million dollars, you gotta do it, right?

10 hours ago, Tinker said:

In a desperate attempt to keep the title of Dumbest Franchise in the NBA the Knicks have offered Noah 4 years at almost 20 mil a year. Yes,  that's 4 years for a 32 year old who can't play offense,  has had multiple surgeries, and relies on throwing his body around to be effective. That Mosgov contract looks amazing in comparison. 

26 minutes ago, Relic said:

In a desperate attempt to keep the title of Dumbest Franchise in the NBA the Knicks have offered Noah 4 years at almost 20 mil a year. Yes,  that's 4 years for a 32 year old who can't play offense,  has had multiple surgeries, and relies on throwing his body around to be effective. That Mosgov contract looks amazing in comparison. 

I agree. Noah is washed up and was never an elite player, imo. 

10 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I don't see it happening and unless they could move a piece of two I don't think they have the money for it, but Jared Dudley would be a nice fit in Cleveland. And, I think they're doing themselves an injustice by not trying to get a little better, rather than trying to bring everyone back.

The problem is that they have no cap space in a year when over half the teams in the league have money to burn.  They have the mini-MLE to spend, but most of the halfway decent free agents are going to sign for more than that this year simply because everyone has cap money to throw away.  Anyone who signs with the Cavs is going to have to be willing to take less money to play for a contender.  

Archived