Why Was Riverrun Revisited In The Show?

Iron Mother

It seems the show went to great lengths to boomerang back to Riverrun, we haven't dealt with that place or those themes in a LONG time on the show.  Which makes me believe there is coming some significance I have yet to understand in the greater story.

Edmure and Blackfish don't have really much significance to anything in the larger scheme..... but the show sent Jaime there and people were trying to get in, there was a whole siege, spent screen-time.  All I can see is "Riverrun can't help Sansa because they are too busy right now".  Did there need to be a big explanation of that context?

Can anyone explain what purpose going back to all that is serving in the larger story?  It brought the Freys back to our consciousness and the red wedding, and that Edmure has a child he hasn't seen with the Frey girl.  Freys kept him hostage.

I have to be missing something maybe obvious.

Why did the books bring us back to RiverRun? It's the same all around I think, get Jaime out of the city when Cersei has her trial, bring most viewers to a place the would probably root for (given the Tullys supported the Stark's), reintroduce Walder Frey so he can be slaughtered eventually, reintroduce the brotherhood w/o Banners, give us a chance for Brienne and Jaime to meet up again, I think have us see Jaime initially fall captive to the Brotherhood, etc etc.

I was hoping it was to have the Tully's leave Riverrun and help out the Starks up north, but that never happened.  So it must be more of a whole Frey/Lannister thing where they need to show us the relationship between those two as well as giving Jaime a purpose to leave KL and giving us another look at Walder Frey before he bites it.

23 minutes ago, Trump the Builder said:

I was hoping it was to have the Tully's leave Riverrun and help out the Starks up north, but that never happened.  So it must be more of a whole Frey/Lannister thing where they need to show us the relationship between those two as well as giving Jaime a purpose to leave KL and giving us another look at Walder Frey before he bites it.

Yeah think Frey Lannister thing is happening next episode. Plus the whole thing was a Jamie character moment.

2 hours ago, The Dames do Moan said:

Why did the books bring us back to RiverRun? It's the same all around I think, get Jaime out of the city when Cersei has her trial, bring most viewers to a place the would probably root for (given the Tullys supported the Stark's), reintroduce Walder Frey so he can be slaughtered eventually, reintroduce the brotherhood w/o Banners, give us a chance for Brienne and Jaime to meet up again, I think have us see Jaime initially fall captive to the Brotherhood, etc etc.

Pretty much this.  Except Jaime won't fall captive to the BwB...it will be Brienne and Pod (just like in the books), but this time, The Hound is taking the place of LSH as the vengeful leader of the group.

After all, The Hound has every reason to hate Brienne after she almost killed him.  

1 minute ago, SevasTra82 said:

Pretty much this.  Except Jaime won't fall captive to the BwB...it will be Brienne and Pod (just like in the books), but this time, The Hound is taking the place of LSH as the vengeful leader of the group.

After all, The Hound has every reason to hate Brienne after she almost killed him.  

I don't think the Hound will hate Brienne, but I could be wrong, they have intentionally brought up the fact that the Hound lost to her on 2 seperate occasions (Brother Ray and Lem Lemoncloak).

You don't think he is going to fall captive to the BwB in the books? I figured there was no other place Brienne would end up taking him, but could be they steal off. In the show i think it may happen either at the Twins or post Twins.

It was weird.

The Blackfish is dead, and Edmure is off to Casterly Rock, making their scenes, however nice they were in a vacuum, totally extraneous and pointless in the larger story.  They could just as easily have had Jamie go to the RL for the Frey wedding if he needs to be there for future plot reasons, and dispensed with the siege since it was like a stand alone piece w/no relevance to the rest of the story.  Same with Brienne, she could have been sent  South to look for Arya if she needs to be in the RL for future events.

But, since this was the season of bringing back secondary characters for no reason except to die....I guess that's the answer.  LOL.

13 hours ago, Iron Mother said:

It seems the show went to great lengths to boomerang back to Riverrun, we haven't dealt with that place or those themes in a LONG time on the show.  Which makes me believe there is coming some significance I have yet to understand in the greater story.

Edmure and Blackfish don't have really much significance to anything in the larger scheme..... but the show sent Jaime there and people were trying to get in, there was a whole siege, spent screen-time.  All I can see is "Riverrun can't help Sansa because they are too busy right now".  Did there need to be a big explanation of that context?

Can anyone explain what purpose going back to all that is serving in the larger story?  It brought the Freys back to our consciousness and the red wedding, and that Edmure has a child he hasn't seen with the Frey girl.  Freys kept him hostage.

I have to be missing something maybe obvious.

The writers are out of ideas. GRRM obvious only gave them the major plot points and not how the plots organically connect.  They are struggling to come up with content to fill the inbetween major plot point moment. That's why we have had Tyrion telling jokes for 5 minutes, Riverrun boomerang that ends exactly where it started, why they took one chapter of Mercy and adapted lit 3 times, and apparently will adapt it again this Sunday, etc.

This is also why they want to end the show in 13 more episodes, honestly they probably should just end it in 10 episode in one season. Because if they stretch it out to two seasons there will just be more of these to fill the necessary minutes, 

18 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

The writers are out of ideas. GRRM obvious only gave them the major plot points and not how the plots organically connect.  They are struggling to come up with content to fill the inbetween major plot point moment. That's why we have had Tyrion telling jokes for 5 minutes, Riverrun boomerang that ends exactly where it started, why they took one chapter of Mercy and adapted lit 3 times, and apparently will adapt it again this Sunday, etc.

This is also why they want to end the show in 13 more episodes, honestly they probably should just end it in 10 episode in one season. Because if they stretch it out to two seasons there will just be more of these to fill the necessary minutes, 

hey I'm still confused of how many more episodes are happening????

I read there a season 7 consisting of 7 episodes.  You just said above there are 13 more episodes (including season 6 ep 10)...I looked on wikipedia and it didn't mention anything but being renewed for another season................. THEN I sae the 7 episodes are long ones, running about 90 minutes each or something.

Can someone please look into the fire and interpret what all is going on with that

2 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

hey I'm still confused of how many more episodes are happening????

I read there a season 7 consisting of 7 episodes.  You just said above there are 13 more episodes (including season 6 ep 10)...I looked on wikipedia and it didn't mention anything but being renewed for another season................. THEN I sae the 7 episodes are long ones, running about 90 minutes each or something.

Can someone please look into the fire and interpret what all is going on with that

There will be two more seasons rumored to be 7 in season 7 and 6 more in season 8. Hence 13 more episodes after season 6.

4 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

There will be two more seasons rumored to be 7 in season 7 and 6 more in season 8. Hence 13 more episodes after season 6.

r u sure????????  positive?  where is proof?

3 hours ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

Riverrun was 100% revisited because they needed filler.

Exactly.

There were no BWB connections or development.

There was zero character development in Jaime because he reverted back to season 1 Jaime even though this was his time to shine with his realizations he doesn't desire/love Cersei anymore.

There is no Brienne to bring Jaime to the fate of... someone... per LSH and the BWB, which moves the plot forward. (A struggle on the show this season)

The show gave us more backwards development with Edmure and Blackfish... unless the show is trying to all of the sudden give us a hidden sub-plot, which I doubt because what you get on the show is it. Shallow as a teaspoon.

There are no Westerlings at all which are used to develop the ongoing, larger plot .

And there is no symbolic snowball fight that happens. Laugh all you want show show apologists, these "insignificant" details are building up to something big.

So basically, filler, filler, shock... filler, filler, shock.

I think they don't know what to do with Jaime but need to keep him alive for something later on and Riverrun was already basically written for them so they used it. Also to get him away from KL for whatever is going to happen there.

Archived