UK Politics: The Morning After

Datepalm

Here comes the recession.

Brought to you by elite politicos bi-partisanly quaffing champagne and caviar whilst implementing austerity measures that never impact themselves. Turns out people didn't like that. Hurrah.

5 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Here comes the recession.

Brought to you by elite politicos bi-partisanly quaffing champagne and caviar whilst implementing austerity measures that never impact themselves. Turns out people didn't like that. Hurrah.

I wonder how many people decided on Brexit as a result of the EU's handling of Greece.

Wow. If the results hold steady, what a momentous day.

Quite simply, it reminds us that there are still more important issues in our lives than maximising material wealth, that not everything is worth sacrificing on the altar of economic growth. Besides, the panicked market response is almost certainly overblown and will swing back closer to normality eventually.

This vote could change the world, perhaps encourage other EU countries to follow, and maybe, just maybe, stop the merciless advance of the one world mono-culture. I am not even British, and sure, some of my investments are worth a bit less today than they were yesterday, but I am elated.

Nigel Farage may just go down as the man who changed not just Britain, but the world, when history looks back at this moment.

Well done, Britain. Bloody good show.

6 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I wonder how many people decided on Brexit as a result of the EU's handling of Greece.

My impression is that brexiters would have thought the opposite. The EU was too easy on Greece. "Fuck those moochers, I don't want to give them my tax money"

thts just my impression from across the pond.

5 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

As Mr Marx noted long ago, the UK has an all-powerful Parliament. The EU was a bourgeois attempt to restrict its power.

cosmopolitanism requires us to prefer the EU over the UK, just as we prefer the UN over both? (shouldn't we want the UK to be abolished, all things considered?) and surely bourgeois internationalism over medievalist localism?

4 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Wow. If the results hold steady, what a momentous day.

Quite simply, it reminds us that there are still more important issues in our lives than maximising material wealth, that not everything is worth sacrificing on the altar of economic growth. Besides, the panicked market response is almost certainly overblown and will swing back closer to normality eventually.

This vote could change the world, perhaps encourage other EU countries to follow, and maybe, just maybe, stop the merciless advance of the one world mono-culture. I am not even British, and sure, some of my investments are worth a bit less today than they were yesterday, but I am elated.

Nigel Farage may just go down as the man who changed not just Britain, but the world, when history looks back at this moment.

Well done, Britain. Bloody good show.

Nigel Farage will go down in history as the fucking scumbag racist he is. 

3 minutes ago, sologdin said:

cosmopolitanism requires us to prefer the EU over the UK, just as we prefer the UN over both? (shouldn't we want the UK to be abolished, all things considered?)

Except that the EU is undemocratic and has a structure that favours the imposition of neoliberal economics. The UK Parliament (since it is actually elected) allows people the voice EU doesn't. 

Diane Abbott on the BBC just now, some strange comments.......Corbyn, having said he's 70% in favour of remain, is the closest political leader to the populaces opinion. I really hope this isn't their strategy, to back up and pretend he was never fully in favour. Even if he wasn't, it can't go down well to appear so flaky on it.

2 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Except that the EU is undemocratic and has a structure that favours the imposition of neoliberal economics. The UK Parliament (since it is actually elected) allows people the voice EU doesn't. 

am wanting to liberalize the world first, then socialize.  so this is a good thing? the EU is progressive over the NAFTA, say--as the former has free movement of persons and is therefore workable, whereas the NAFTA lacks FMP.

Just now, DaveSumm said:

Diane Abbott on the BBC just now, some strange comments.......Corbyn, having said he's 70% in favour of remain, is the closest political leader to the populaces opinion. I really hope this isn't their strategy, to back up and pretend he was never fully in favour. Even if he wasn't, it can't go down well to appear so flaky on it.

Corbyn was privately Leave all along. His difficulty was that he was forced by the Parliamentary Labour Party (once again out of touch with its own voters, as the result out of Stoke shows) to mouth Remain platitudes. I think Corbyn's much, much happier than Cameron tonight.

4 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Corbyn was privately Leave all along. His difficulty was that he was forced by the Parliamentary Labour Party (once again out of touch with its own voters, as the result out of Stoke shows) to mouth Remain platitudes. I think Corbyn's much, much happier than Cameron tonight.

Oh I agree, I just think that for appearances sake him saying 'well I always said I was only 70%' is dreadful considering his already shaky hold on the Labour Party. His integrity is his whole USP, without that he's nothing.

4 minutes ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

I have a question to the more well-versed in UK politics: does this mean the UK will actually leave the EU within a short timeframe? Or is it more of a Swedish-style nonbinding "maybe, someday" election result?

I believe it is technically unbinding on the UK government, but it obviously is pretty binding politically.

Once the UK officially requests to leave their is a process written into the EU rules which allows for a two year leaving period.

Archived