My theories on CleganeBowl

Chainiar

During AGOT, Bran had a vision of Sansa and Arya surrounded by shadows. One looks like the Hound, another looks like Jaime and the last one, which is higher than the two others, looks like Robert Strong which is believed to be Cregor Clegane.

What if that vision refered to incoming events ? What if Arya and Sansa were somehow reunited and Jaime and Sador were both here to protect them from Cregor ? There would be a pretty nice fight, wouldn't there ?

Tell me if you think I am right or if I am as mad as Cersei.

Robert Strong is Cersei's creature; Jaime will feel responsible for the devastation she causes.

I like the idea of Jaime + Sandor; it has nice symmetry, both are recovering from injury, both are unused to needing help, or even needing a friend.

I saw a quote yesterday that seems to foreshadow Cleganebowl at least:

“Ah, fuck you, Ned,” the king said hoarsely. “I killed the bastard, didn’t I?” A lock of matted black hair fell across his eyes as he glared up at Ned. “Ought to do the same to you. Can’t leave a man to hunt in peace. Ser Robar found me. Gregor’s head. Ugly thought. Never told the Hound. Let Cersei surprise him.”

I've been thinking about that vision recently, and I don't think it makes sense for the man armoured like the sun to be Jaime. It makes more sense for it to be Oberyn.

One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood.

The first is obviously the Hound. But over both of them loom the giant in stone armour. It makes sense if this is Gregor Clegane; he looms over both Sandor and Oberyn in a way that he simply doesn't with Jaime. Gregor made Sandor the way he is; all of Sandor's hatred and anger stems from the night when Gregor burnt his face. Likewise, Gregor made Oberyn the way he is, too; all of Oberyn's hatred and anger comes from the death of Elia, at the hands of Gregor. It doesn't fit with Jaime; Jaime is not the way he is because of Gregor.

That said, I don't believe that the vision Bran was having was any kind of prophecy. Everything else he was seeing was happening at present. I don't think he was looking into the future.

At the time of that vision, Cregor Clegane wasn't Robert Strong yet although he is decribed as such. The one in an armor like sun can't be Oberyn, the shadows are over Sansa and Arya. Oberyn has never met Arya at all.

For me, this one is about the future. The giant in armor made of stone sounds like a threat to both Sansa and Arya and the two "small" shadows are like protectors. One protector by Stark girl ? or two of the best fighters ever needed to stop a moutain from crushing two wolfes ? 

Robert Strong would only attack the Starks if Cersei asks him too. Jaime has made a promise, that he would save the daughters of Catelyn Stark, no matter what. Jaime is a man of honor, so it would be very interresting to see how he would deal with that situation, torn away between honor and love.

I don't know how it will turn out but as said Robert Jordan, "I always except the best from George R. R. Martin, and he always delivers." If it happens as I think, then it is a storyline I am excited to discover. If it doesn't occur like that, I am excited anyway because I will have no idea of what's gonna happen. Hopefully, he will finish that book before Winter comes, right ?

7 minutes ago, Chainiar said:

At the time of that vision, Cregor Clegane wasn't Robert Strong yet although he is decribed as such. The one in an armor like sun can't be Oberyn, the shadows are over Sansa and Arya. Oberyn has never met Arya at all.

For me, this one is about the future. The giant in armor made of stone sounds like a threat to both Sansa and Arya and the two "small" shadows are like protectors. One protector by Stark girl ? or two of the best fighters ever needed to stop a moutain from crushing two wolfes ? 

Robert Strong would only attack the Starks if Cersei asks him too. Jaime has made a promise, that he would save the daughters of Catelyn Stark, no matter what. Jaime is a man of honor, so it would be very interresting to see how he would deal with that situation, torn away between honor and love.

I don't know how it will turn out but as said Robert Jordan, "I always except the best from George R. R. Martin, and he always delivers." If it happens as I think, then it is a storyline I am excited to discover. If it doesn't occur like that, I am excited anyway because I will have no idea of what's gonna happen. Hopefully, he will finish that book before Winter comes, right ?

I agree with this.

And Jaime has had a baleful influence on the Stark girls already - crippling their father (leading to his death), crippling their brother, and making war against another brother (leading ultimately to Winterfell being undefended and lost). That sounds enough like a looming shadow to me.

1 hour ago, chrisdaw said:

Yeah but there's a lot more to it, I run through it in this thread.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/128966-cleganebowl-why-and-how/

Indeed, there are far more than I thought. I made this theory only with that vision, without all the forshadowings from the books, they are far too numerous. What's more, I've read the books in french ad the foreshadowings are harder to find, so I've just started to read them in english and that vision has always disturbed me. I'm happy to see that my theory is not stupid at all and that there are others hints in favor of it.

Archived