What were the Old Gods called back when they were still a new religion?

John Doe

On June 24, 2016 at 3:48 PM, John Doe said:

Just curious. I mean, the first believer of the Old Gods wouldn't have called them that, would he?

Good question. Probably either Pommes Frities or Pan Perdu.

On June 24, 2016 at 8:56 PM, Curled Finger said:

I have a feeling Craster knew precisely to whom he was sacrificing his sons.   

Absolutely. He refers to himself as being a godly man over and over. Mormont tells Jon that they worship cruel gods north of the wall.

he might have been doing it for selfish reasons or out of fear, but it seems fairly clear that Craster worshipped the others and gave blood sacrifices to them in the form of his male offspring 

1 hour ago, YOVMO said:

Absolutely. He refers to himself as being a godly man over and over. Mormont tells Jon that they worship cruel gods north of the wall.

he might have been doing it for selfish reasons or out of fear, but it seems fairly clear that Craster worshipped the others and gave blood sacrifices to them in the form of his male offspring 

I'll add the possible explanation that he did it out of the same sort of twisted familial bond that lead him to rule his wives and daughter the way he did. Once he's dead, the women more or less openly tell Sam that Craster's sons are Others. So the fate of his male children isn't at all unknown within the keep. We also know that Craster hates being an abandoned bastard. In a way, he's "taking care" of his sons by handing them over to become gods, just like he's "taking care" of his daughters by turning them into wives (marrying literally every woman he meets).

I think it really depends on your perception of the the nature of the different gods and religions within the series.  We know plenty about the Creator of their world, and it really boils down to whether or not the gods, be they old, new, or any of the rest are simply manifestations of His power.  If they are, then great, they all ultimately have the same name.  If not, well, we'll likely never know.

On 6/24/2016 at 0:48 PM, John Doe said:

Just curious. I mean, the first believer of the Old Gods wouldn't have called them that, would he?

I was some unpronouncable word in the speech of the children that sounded like wind thorough the trees in a forest and water flowing through a brook 

Archived