Round of 16 (Day 1) Switzerland/Poland, Wales/Northern Ireland, Croatia/Portugal

In a few hours, we will be getting to the do or die section of the tournament, and I am looking forward to all four and a half hours of play. All of the matches are fairly close, so I will only predict Wales as a winner because obviously, they will win the whole thing. 

Could be a rather close day result-wise. In my office betting, I've got Croatia reaching the semis, so they have to win. Obviously. Also, I've got Switzerland reacing the quarter finals. 

I'll admit that in my scenario, neither Wales nor Northern Ireland was left at this stage. So that match is obviously not taking place.

I anticipate a goalless draw at Switzerland - Poland after 90 minutes. After that, anything could happen but if I had to choose I'd go for Poland to edge it, since they've conceded zero goals so far and Switzerland haven't really impressed in front of goal in the group stage.

Wales will win against Northern Ireland, unless Will Grigg comes on. In that scenario, I predict a 10-1 win for N.I. 

Croatia v Portugal should be the most enjoyable of the bunch. I expect an open game. The result will really depend on how well Ronaldo plays, really. Still, Croatia should be dominant in midfield and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

My predictions:

Switzerland 0-1 Poland, or 1-1 plus shootout - tight and a bit dour

Wales 3-1 Northern Ireland - Wales will overpower NI but get caught on the break

Croatia 2-1 Portugal - open and quite attacking but the Croats have more overall quality

It was late, but had little chance of being dangerous and was on the halfway line. Clear yellow card. It only looks worse cause of the strange way Lewandowski fell, which isn't Schär's fault at all.

5 minutes ago, The Killer Snark said:

Time lag on this match because it's partly Tivo Box recorded. That has to be one of the most exquisite Euro goals I've ever seen.

Everything about it was great, and he fit it into a tight window. 

Archived