acroPHILIA lucky #13...Rocksniffer's cherry has been popped...and the crowd goes wild! !

rocksniffer

I managed to guess Varys even though I didn't get the eight legs ~ spider reference at all. I kept thinking of a group of eight people (or eight gods but that seemed an impossible quest) and I figured that Varys was a member of the Small Council, which consisted of eight people if we count the king as well. That seemed reasonable enough, but it was the sparrow = 'little bird' connection that directed me to Varys first. Later I also remembered that Varys impersonated different characters and perhaps he appeared as eight different people altogether in the books, but I didn't actually count it. However, I was also satisfied with ogdoad referring to a person who appears as many different persons, i.e. a "group of people". 

Awesome theme! It's really impressive what creative themes you come up with, sniffer. Mine were always so simple. And I guess I shold update the registry... sometime...

I also got Varys, but like Julia with a completely different interpretation of ogdoad... I somehow tried to explain it by the eight bastards of Robert Varys claims to know of. I never wold have expeced it to mean eight-legged, since there is a perfectly fine o-word meaning exacly that (octoped).

I didn't get clue #7 (my guess was Greatjon Umber, because he carried and thus touched Roslin during the bedding ceremony of the Red Wedding), but "egged" refering to the donation of the dragn eggs is really cool. I'm torn to switch my vote to it, but I guess in the end #3 is still more impressive. Such a perfectly clear clue for such a minor character!

I managed to get Cersei wrong, despite starting with a shortlist of Cersei and Dany for this clue. Cersei seemed a bit wrong as she doesn't 'oblige' Maggi except perhaps by behaving exactly as was needed to make the prophecy correct - is that what it means? Then once I got the theme, I did a lot of searching and wiki reading and discovered that the Widow of the Waterfront supported Bennaro the preacher of the fire god (who is definitely a castigating type) who supports Dany and the slaves against the rulers. Since blood magic seems to be part of fire magic I rationalised this was the answer. This is known as over researching and losing common sense, I believe. I think its also that she is a favourite character of mine so I wanted to see her in a game. 

ok people...got all the votes and 99% of the clues so since the board quit acting out on me i am readying the results...

good job everyone... :cheers:

and thanks for understanding that life and a general disdain for deadlines is causing my usual procrastination to become record breaking....

:smoking:

Round 3 Words

First a few random words…excellent clues everyone, as a result there is no limit on author points this round… and to repeat, the theme was people who shared a drink (wine/ale) with Tyrion on page…

Results…

1. Ragged, dirty, old tramp? Courageous honorable sentinel. – YOREN

author: JULIA H.

guessing = 30 points

author = 4 points

theme = 5 points

voting = 1 point

favorite votes = 1 points

bonus = 5 points

points spent = -1

sum = 45 points

2. Lengthy “cleaver’s” elderly bearer. (original form) – JEOR MORMONT

author: CASTELLAN

guessing = 27 points

author = 6 points

theme = 5 points

voting = 1 point

points spent = - 1

sum = 38 points

3. Revealing Duty Officer turned Cyvasse humbling service.– QAVO NOGARYS

author: DOLOROUS GABE

guessing = 27 points

author = 4 points

theme = 2 points

voting = 1 point

favorite votes = 1 point

sum = 35 points

4. Round does ogdoad tread consulting his sparrows.– VARYS THE SPIDER

author: SER NOT APPEARING

guessing = 15 points

author = 8 points

voting = 1 point

favorite votes = 4 points

sum = 28 points

5. Rich dowager obliges the castigating hemoglobin-drinking soothsayer. – CERSEI LANNISTER

author: YOMI

guessing = 24 points

author = 5 points

voting = 1 point

sum = 30 points

6. Rewarded dues of title, castle, hottie. Stoked!– SER BRONN OF THE BLACKWATER

author: STONED HEART (cause that is the name in my spreadsheet ;) )

guessing = 15 points

author = 7 points

theme = 5 points

voting = 1 point

favorite votes = 2 point

sum = 30 points

7. Lord ceremonially egged bride.– ILLYRIO MOPATIS

author: :ninja:

author = 7 points

theme = 5 points

voting = 1 point

sum = 13 points

8. Red-head defines obvious trait, catchy humorous saying. – JON SNOW, THE BASTARD OF WINTERFELL

author: FRAGILE BIRD

guessing = 27 points

author = 6 points

theme = 5 points

voting = 1 point

points spent = -6

sum = 33 points

9. Lordship celebrated. Evicted. Brrrrrrr!– JANOS SLYNT

author: LADY BLIZZARDBORN

guessing = 24 points

author = 4 points

over theme bonus = 5 points (for guessing over theme...everyone can earn these 5 points at anytime...)

voting = 1 point

favorite votes = 3 points

points spent = -5

sum = 32 points

10. Regrets “debauchery”, obliges the church. “House” sex.– LANCEL LANNISTER

author: LIL GHOST

guessing = 9 points

author = 8 points

voting = 1 point

sum = 18 points

11. *****Leaves Casterly…enjoys browbeating. – TYWIN LANNISTER*****

author: SHE who must be OBEYED...and she insisted on voting for her favorite this round...Ser N/A and his sparrow loving ogdoad...

well boys and girls, this round is finally finished…sorry for the unforeseen delays…last 2 rounds should be faster…I hope :blink:

Standings so far…

Castellan ………………………115 points

Fragile Bird…………………….114 points

Julia H………………………….111 points

Dolorous Gabe………………..105 points

Lady Bizzardborn……………..95 points

Yomi……………………………89 points

Stoned Heart………………….73 points

Lil’ Ghost………………………69 points

Ser Not Appearing……………50 points

a :ninja: ……………………..43 points

Aegon the Poached…………..7 points

alrighty then...Julia H. had a kick ass round scoring 45 pts :owned:...not only did she get a perfect guessing and theme score she was the first and only to do so garnering the 5 pt bonus :bowdown: this outstanding round has slid her into 3rd place ...looks like Castellan has sneaked past our darling Fragile Bird to take the overall lead with her hot round of solid guessing of answers and theme :cheers: ...and Bird's tendency to spend points for hints ;) ... Dolorous Gabe with his uncanny ability to ferret out the answers fell only slightly short and is laying in the cut at 4th position...just like a spider waiting to pounce :devil: ...finally congrats to Lady Blizzardborn who might have missed the theme for the round but totally went for the brass ring and guessed the overtheme for the game - earning her 5 bonus points :commie: ... good job everyone else :cheers: ...

...remember everyone can go for the big picture theme and earn 5 points with a correct guess... here's a hint...in case you are a show watcher go for season 2 or 3...in case you are not a show watcher...well...youtube will help you along your path to enlightenment...good luck :cool4:

additionally, my math could be totally whack since i am depending on my MS-excel skills which are iffy at best...so if you notice a mistake feel free to talk shit to me...just don't give me the she-bear treatment, cause my member is short enough as it is... :leaving:

1 hour ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Brief explanation:

Ogdoad, as a collection of eight, refers to Varys' nickname of spider. Sparrows was chosen as a misdirect, as it has meaning in another sense but meant a "little bird" in this usage.

Aeron! :ninja:

But it was my favorite clue vote, very much. Not only because it was an interesting clue for me, but also because it seems that it made other people interested, too :ninja: So maybe soon we will have twelve clues like this one every round!

7 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

Brief explanation:

Ogdoad, as a collection of eight, refers to Varys' nickname of spider. Sparrows was chosen as a misdirect, as it has meaning in another sense but meant a "little bird" in this usage.

I believe you created your very best clue so far, Ser. I loved it! Just the right level of misdirection. Once I realised it referred to eight legs, I burst out laughing.

On 8/29/2016 at 9:55 PM, yomi said:

I didn't get clue #7 (my guess was Greatjon Umber, because he carried and thus touched Roslin during the bedding ceremony of the Red Wedding), but "egged" refering to the donation of the dragn eggs is really cool. I'm torn to switch my vote to it, but I guess in the end #3 is still more impressive. Such a perfectly clear clue for such a minor character!

Thank you, yomi  :D

I felt like I couldn't reasonably make an obscure clue for such an obscure character but I did try to make it interesting. Still, it looks like only 4 people got it.

I didn't get Yoren. I realise now I should have thought of him but I think it pissed me off that Barristan wasn't the answer, so my pettiness is probably to blame for not properly thinking it through.

Overall, this was by far the best round of clues in game 13 in my opinion.  :cheers: to all

On 30.8.2016 at 8:26 AM, Castellan said:

I managed to get Cersei wrong, despite starting with a shortlist of Cersei and Dany for this clue. Cersei seemed a bit wrong as she doesn't 'oblige' Maggi except perhaps by behaving exactly as was needed to make the prophecy correct - is that what it means? Then once I got the theme, I did a lot of searching and wiki reading and discovered that the Widow of the Waterfront supported Bennaro the preacher of the fire god (who is definitely a castigating type) who supports Dany and the slaves against the rulers. Since blood magic seems to be part of fire magic I rationalised this was the answer. This is known as over researching and losing common sense, I believe. I think its also that she is a favourite character of mine so I wanted to see her in a game. 

That's what I meant, yes.

Anyway, I suprised that only five people got my clue. It seemed quiet obvious to me. But maybe I just created too many Cersei clues so that by the end any of them seemed easy. If you are interested, here is the list of my Cersei leftovers:

Hide contents
  1. Loves crown. Evil bitch.
  2. Rich daughter obliges the castigating hemoglobin-drinking soothsayer.
  3. Rich daughter only truly cherishes herself, sadly.
  4. Rich daughter offers three children, humoring soothsayer.
  5. Rich daughter orchestrates treason, crowning her sons.
  6. Rich daughter omits treason, confessing harmless sins.
  7. Royal deliqent's option: Trial combatting, hovering ser.
  8. Royal deliqent offers to crowd her sight.
  9. Routinely discerns opponents. Trusts canard herself spawned.
  10. Lioness cannot escape brother.

hahahhahahah yes this round had good clues this is why i did not restrict author points, you all deserved them...

and i see that i was wrong about my own interp of why cersei obliged...i assumed she obliged by pricking finger so maggy could taste blood...see how literal i am... ;)

Round 4 begins....

CLUES:

1. Made abrasive quarrel vehemently terminate.
  2. Son evidences brutality, moony mount’s “rod” eliminator.
  3. Smiling, eager, brash. Murderer, mutilated, regretful. Exiting?
  4. Sprite embarrasses brother, makes memorable regnal entreaty.
  5. Must avoid Queen. Vulcan’s trainee.
  6. ‘Mercy acts’ quiescently vaccinate threats.
  7. Sewer escape bodyguard madeth, mad relative evadeth.
  8. Mute appeal quickly vanished. Tree! 
  9. Should enemies bear malice? Members require exercise.
  10. Snowy “entitled" bastard. Many men rebel, eventually.

this round there are only ten clues as we have only ten active players left...and for this round SwmbO did not need to contribute...

is that a hint... :idea:

DEADLINE FOR THIS ROUND...SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 10TH,

sometime after the cocktail hour begins...

characters for the final round along with acros will follow shortly

ETA: i made a mistake...SHOCKER....note the change to clue number 2...everyone should check to be sure i copied their words correctly... thanks

ROUND 5 ACROS

well my dear debauched brethren...the final round is upon us... time to send me an outstanding clue for your last characters which will posted momentarily...

and since we started the game with 3 and 6 letter acros lets finish up the same way...

BST   or     HMSYAN

and because i am feeling generous, here is an extra acro for those of you who feel the need to be different...

ORNFRSIFKEC

i didn't say it was random... anybody game...:lmao:

edited to say...your characters are posted so check your inbox :devil:

alrighty sweetlings, time for ye olde 'sniffer to find a naked girl and a drink...

:pimp:

Archived