acroPHILIA lucky #13...Rocksniffer's cherry has been popped...and the crowd goes wild! !

rocksniffer

i shall respond...with these random words...

the subject of a clue might be the answer or the subject might point to the answer...there is no rule that one or the other must be true...

each clue has only one answer...though one is the loneliest number...

:devil:

I find this reply of Rocksniffer's amusing right now. I am sure when I am bug eyed with frustration staring at the clues I will curse him

10 hours ago, Julia H. said:

Hm... what do you all think of clues that mention two characters (for example, as the subject and the object of a sentence) or clues that refer to situations involving two characters? I seem to detect several of this type in this round. Suppose I solve the clue, how do I know which character is meant to be the answer? Is there a common agreement like, the answer must be the subject rather than the object?  

I personally prefer that there is a way of distinguishing between subject and object in the structure and grammar of it.

I do think the subject should be the answer and any object should be used to point to the subject.

As a general rule, the subject is almost always referenced first, although I must admit that at least one of these does seem a potential exception to that rule. I did create a clue once that used only objects, but it had a structure that informed how the objects related to the subject.

1 minute ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I personally prefer that there is a way of distinguishing between subject and object in the structure and grammar of it.

I do think the subject should be the answer and any object should be used to point to the subject.

As a general rule, the subject is almost always referenced first, although I must admit that at least one of these does seem a potential exception to that rule. I did create a clue once that used only objects, but it had a structure that informed how the objects related to the subject.

That's what my intuition tells me, but I seem to remember cases when the answer turned out to be the object, and there are no rules against it. It is confusing, because even if you solve the clue, there is no sure way of knowing what the answer is. 

2 hours ago, Julia H. said:

That's what my intuition tells me, but I seem to remember cases when the answer turned out to be the object, and there are no rules against it. It is confusing, because even if you solve the clue, there is no sure way of knowing what the answer is. 

I would suggest making a proposal that if a player can demonstrate that he/she understands the full meaning of the clue, said player is entitled to learn if he/she has chosen the wrong character referenced by the clue.

I did the same as host a few times. One I recall was an incredibly clever clue by Fragile Bird that used Doran's reference to himself as "complaisant grass" that hides the viper until he strikes. Since it also referenced Oberyn, many people thought Oberyn was the subject/answer. So I asked that people demonstrate that they understood the clue's meaning, so that if they did and quite reasonably chose Oberyn I would tell them that the "complaisant grass" was actually the subject.

20 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I would suggest making a proposal that if a player can demonstrate that he/she understands the full meaning of the clue, said player is entitled to learn if he/she has chosen the wrong character referenced by the clue.

I did the same as host a few times. One I recall was an incredibly clever clue by Fragile Bird that used Doran's reference to himself as "complaisant grass" that hides the viper until he strikes. Since it also referenced Oberyn, many people thought Oberyn was the subject/answer. So I asked that people demonstrate that they understood the clue's meaning, so that if they did and quite reasonably chose Oberyn I would tell them that the "complaisant grass" was actually the subject.

That's a good idea. :agree:

8 hours ago, Julia H. said:

that is what the theme is for...it usually will prove the wall that only one of the possible answers can cross... :read:

i just reviewed the clues again and made a slight adjustment to clue 2....however i am confident that not only are the clues specific...several in very clever ways...so that even without theme the answer is there...but with the theme the few that offer 2 obvious choices only one fits...

now i am off to the pub...you may talk among yourselves...

:cheers:

On 8/5/2016 at 8:27 PM, Castellan said:

<snip>

I find this reply of Rocksniffer's amusing right now. I am sure when I am bug eyed with frustration staring at the clues I will curse him

and i shall absorb the curses with a smile....

...bug eyes rule... 

:wideeyed:

just a friendly reminder that i shall be leaving home on friday morning,12 aug, and not checking in again til sunday the 14th...so if you want to submit some prelim guesses try to get them in by thursday so i can respond before i hit the road... 

:smoking:

I have an unfortunate habit of sending prelims at a point that our dear host disappears.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:47 PM, rocksniffer said:

now i am off to the pub...you may talk among yourselves...

I did not think pub was a word you used Stateside. I found it weird when Jack Bauer used it in the UK based 24: Live Another Day season.

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

I have an unfortunate habit of sending prelims at a point that our dear host disappears.

I did not think pub was a word you used Stateside. I found it weird when Jack Bauer used it in the UK based 24: Live Another Day season.

Some do, some don't. May depend partly on one's heritage and how many generations have lived since the ancestors came over on the boat. Also some of our bars/taverns/watering holes actually have "pub" in the name. O'Reilly's Pub, for example (there has to be one somewhere like Boston, NYC, or Chicago).

On 8/9/2016 at 7:56 PM, Dolorous Gabe said:

i'm still here...for a few hours anyway...

i have 2 excuses to use the word pub...my first is that i value a bar that caters to regulars over yahoos...that is a pub - a local watering hole that looks after the old farts who come every day for a pint or 7...and second...if i can get a glass of stout on tap...though granted it is cold....and a hot basket of fish and chips... it is a pub all day long...Gabe, i am sure you would agree

9 hours ago, a free shadow said:

it tastes like sadness... it tastes like batteries, it tastes like ASSES!

well as an ass man i can't see the issue with that..... :leer:

i shall now offer a shallow apology for the chauvinistic quality of that last sentence...

oh yeah and to be sure everyone understands that tomorrow around dark EDT i will be heading west to dance sing and drink in KC for worldcon...BWB beware...

so any prelims not offered yet need to get in tonight or tomorrow morning as well as any questions you want answered before sunday...i will check in sunday...if i am able... :smoking:

everyone should raise a glass of wine to the sniffer's virgin worldcon experience...it will be one for the memory books

:pimp::leer::commie:

I think I have the right answers to all the clues now. Just hoping there isn't more to the theme.

8 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

i have 2 excuses to use the word pub...my first is that i value a bar that caters to regulars over yahoos...that is a pub - a local watering hole that looks after the old farts who come every day for a pint or 7...and second...if i can get a glass of stout on tap...though granted it is cold....and a hot basket of fish and chips... it is a pub all day long...Gabe, i am sure you would agree

I do indeed agree.

A top stout can be ruined by coldness. Ideally, I like it a little colder than room temperature. I frown when I see Guinness Extra Cold. Why would they do that? You get warmer weather than I do though. I'm rather keen on red ales currently. O'Hara's Irish Red is a favourite of mine at the moment. Beautiful stuff!

7 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

everyone should raise a glass of wine to the sniffer's virgin worldcon experience...it will be one for the memory books

Enjoy!  :cheers:

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I shall be sending truthful reports....

A legally binding statement  :D

Archived