Round of 16 (Day 2)France/Ireland, Germany/Slovakia, Hungary/Belgium

I agree about France and Germany, there will be little intrigue in those games.

With Belgium vs Hungry there is the chance for an upset, the Belgians haven't been too impressive so far and they can be neutralized by a good defense. They've been at their best with counter attacks where they had lots of space to do whatever they wanted and I don't think they'll get any of that today. Sweden or Ireland weren't a real test and we don't know yet how good they are.

France and Germany should get through. Based on how the tournament has gone, I don't think it will be a walk in the park for either side though. Belgium v Hungary has huge potential for an upset. The first goal will be crucial. The loss to Italy has actually worked in Belgium's favour and I'm sure that the players realise what a golden opportunity this is to get to the final. I think they will get the job done and beat Hungary.

As a French, I do support les Bleus, but I'll be really sad to see the Irish go, them and their supporters ! 

Anyway, glad they at least put one goal (so far) ! 

Dear France, in 2009 T.Henry handballed a goal against Ireland. This solitary, despicable act caused France to qualify for the 2010 World Cup at the expense of the Irish.

Today's match is your chance for redemption, for your great nation and people.

RoI put up a good fight but France were just too good. Griezmann had a great game. Germany/Slovakia was a walk in the park for the Germans. Slovakia completely outclassed from start to finish. Germany looked so much better and fluent in attack today.

At least Shane Duffy showed (for teh second goal) that there's a reason he's not at Everton any longer. Too bad he had to be sent off - he never had a chance against Griezman in a sprint.

The other game means the quarter final will be interesting no matter who wins tomorrow. 

Now, Belgium will crush the Hungarian will to live. We're just that much better.

Archived