[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion - one last time ;o)

The only thing I really disliked was Margaery's sixth sense of imminent doom that everyone had to split from Baelor's Sept immediately.  Seemed artificial.  Cersei blowing off the trial could have meant any number of things, including blowing off the trial. 

Favourite thing was probably Tommen's understated black comedy death dive.

1 hour ago, Mike Morgan said:

Every part of the episode was "outright objectionable."  It was anticlimactic AF since they were telagraphing it if you are a book reader or have the internet. Then they just jammed in a random scene with Bran to squeeze it in to the finale. Coldhands was all like "Hey kid, here is the wall.  Better sit for a minute and have a quick dream about your bro". it was just poorly done for the sake of a finale boner

This irked me too. Benjen was just an Uber for Bran and company. What a waste. #Bujer

While I enjoyed the last two episodes you just have to accept that all subtlety is gone from the show. The simplify everything to the point where things just happen out of sheer convenience. It really bothers me that this shit isn't scrutinised further but it is what it is. D&D are quite justified in doing it as the fans of the show clearly eat up anything they produce.

2 minutes ago, Wendel Shoemaker said:

I thought it was the best episode in a long time, just due to the music and camera shots, as well as most actors being able to act. The writing falls apart once you consider the rest of the season. Teleporting is out of control. Out. Of. Control.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. This was the best pile of poop in an outhouse. The score was incredible and really made the first 10 minutes spellbinding. And then.....teleportation. At it's worst. 

1 hour ago, teemo said:

We have to stomach Game of Thrones stuff EVERYWHERE.  We have to stomach most of our friends and family being in love with the show and just smile and nod so we don't look like assholes.  If we criticize it anywhere on social media, particularly a place like Reddit, you will be completely torn apart.  You like to go through your news feed on Facebook?  Well, get ready to see GoT everywhere!  Facebook today even politely asked me if I would like to make my status update about the Game of Thrones finale.  How sweet!

Ugh.  This is literally the only place for people like us and others still try to come in here and argue with us and harass us, when 99% of the internet agrees with them.

This, so much this. 

I am at 1:05 with 15 minutes left and I swear it has taken me like 5 hours to get here....I keep getting distracted.  It is so boring and frustrating. How do you guys get through it?? Alcohol???

2 minutes ago, Wendel Shoemaker said:

I thought it was the best episode in a long time, just due to the music and camera shots, as well as most actors being able to act. The writing falls apart once you consider the rest of the season. Teleporting is out of control. Out. Of. Control.

Based on the direction, editing, music, etc, alone I thought it was the best episode of the show so far. It looked (and felt) positively cinematic, way more than the somewhat generic way it's usually shot/edited. Miguel Sapochnik really knows how to frame a shot. 

Shame he's not working with a better script tho. 

The storylines have all come apart at the hands of the writers these last two seasons but the teleportation element irks me most of all. And I like the fact that Olenna, all the way out in Dorne, hears of the burning but then Jamie and Bronn, who are on route, are completely surprised once they reach King's Landing. 

5 minutes ago, teemo said:

I am at 1:05 with 15 minutes left and I swear it has taken me like 5 hours to get here....I keep getting distracted.  It is so boring and frustrating. How do you guys get through it?? Alcohol???

Laughter. Though that only helped a little bit this week.

16 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

This irked me too. Benjen was just an Uber for Bran and company. What a waste. #Bujer

Because it is Bran SL - we get more time Bronn and Jaime talking about women than Ben and Bran talking about Ned, ... It all happened probably off screen.

They are just more interested in Bronn than Bran. 

23 minutes ago, Unbent_Unbroken said:

-So, how did Cersei explain Tommen's death? And why does no one care that she's a kinslayer? 

-If the Septon was such a beloved popular figure, shouldn't the people care that he and the Sparrows were blown sky high?

-So, if Sansa's ok with Jon being KITN over her, couldn't she at least have gotten a line in supporting him?

-The Dornish plot is still stupid.

-Varys stole Littlefinger's teleporter.

Any of the decent moments came from stick the books in a blender and serving the results.

There would be riots and chaos in the city and everywhere. Everybody in the Seven Kingdoms would be up in revolt once they hear a woman with no claim on the throne becomes queen.

Why Littlefinger doesn't push for Sansa's inheritance and marriage proposal is beyond anybody. I support you and you marry me, I think that's the whole point of the teleporting army.

I hated the music and slow shots, not because they were bad, but because they were just hamfisted in, in an attempt to build up the tension of what was happening.  When you are telegraphing things so far in advance, there is no reason to hang for 6 seconds on someone's face with brooding music unless you are giving everyone and their Homer Simpson-minded friends a chance to figure it out before it happens.

You put all the pegs in the correctly shaped holes? Congratu-fucking-lations!

You want to shock people? Surprise them?  Then blow the fucking lid off in the middle of Marg saying "Something is wrong..."

There was no reason for this episode to be 7 minutes over, other than hype.  There was easily 7 minutes (most of it those gods-damn slow-music shots) that could have been cut or rearranged earlier in the season. Or of Lancel deciding to scew orders and follow some random kid down into the sewer. Oh sorry, I forgot it was a 'suspicious' kid.

Case in point: Here's looking at you, Sam.  Oldtown and the Citadel should have been in Episode 1.  And the fucking Citadel shouldn't ever not know about the Wall's situation seasons after its happened.  Even if no one sent a single raven after Sam left, Aegon sure as shit sent them a raven saying he was dying and to expect a replacement trainee.  Nope. Citadel DGAF and didn't care they weren't getting letters from the Wall anymore. Nothing to worry about right?

Carol the Tiger Mom, no shits given about Tommen dead.  She got what she wanted: To be Queen.  Oh, and Telegraphed Larry is going to abandon her because she didn't give a shit about Tommen dying.  Or maybe he'll just get some of that mad queen action like always.

If there is one thing this season has taught us, its that no matter how ridiculous or outlandish an explanation we come up with, the answer is just D&D DGAF.

3 minutes ago, The Knight in Motley said:

I hated the music and slow shots, not because they were bad, but because they were just hamfisted in, in an attempt to build up the tension of what was happening.  When you are telegraphing things so far in advance, there is no reason to hang for 6 seconds on someone's face with brooding music unless you are giving everyone and their Homer Simpson-minded friends a chance to figure it out before it happens.

You want to shock people? Surprise them?  Then blow the fucking lid off in the middle of Marg saying "Something is wrong..."

There was no reason for this episode to be 7 minutes over, other than hype.  There was easily 7 minutes (most of it those gods-damn slow-music shots) that could have been cut or rearranged earlier in the season.

Well you know, that's what Hitchcock said about how shock is just blowing up a room out of a sudden while suspense is seeing the bomb under the table before it goes off. I personally prefer a suspenseful build-up over a shocking out-of-nowhere stabbity-stab, especially because we had way too much of the latter this season. 

But I agree that it took a bit too much time, even if I liked it and thought it was done pretty well. 

51 minutes ago, Defiance@duskendale said:

My main criticism with this episode and really the whole season is that it's become too fan service-y. The show stood out because it was morally grey and nuanced. Now it's been reduced to a paint by numbers fantasy action tv series. Jon the bastard is the secret son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. Fine, but they are literally turning him into some kind of messiah figure, like neo from the matrix. He's proclaimed king in the north for no understandable reason. And to be honest the north itself is a very confusing place with motivations and loyalties that shift from episode to episode. It was good to finally see a mereen resolution of sorts and an end to the high sparrow plot line. its pretty obvious the show doesn't think more than a scene at a time, there is no internal logic to its storytelling or sense of continuity.

Agreed. "Fan service-y" perfectly encapsulates this whole season. Some viewers were impatient with the slower, more reasonable pacing so D&D introduced teleportation. Some viewers wanted "righteous revenge!" for the Starks so Arya and Sansa up and killed their enemies (rather violently) and smiled while doing it. All the while, logic and narrative harmony are thrown out the window. 

Mereen, Braavos, King's Landing, the North, Bran. Each and every storyline felt slapdash and incoherent (and ultimately unnecessary considering how all the storylines resolved themselves). And Sam's storyline was utterly unnecessary. If you can leave out Bran for one whole season then you can certainly omit Sam and Gilly. 

As for the wavering loyalty of the North...it's better explained in the books. Ramsey kept hostages from the different houses to ensure their obedience. And it's sad that Sophie Turner and Kit Harington play the key characters in the North because both are such uncharismatic, stone-faced actors (not to mention Emilia Clarke's Daenerys). Bad acting plus a bad script make for a very unhappy viewer. 

5 minutes ago, lalunadelmar said:

Agreed. "Fan service-y" perfectly encapsulates this whole season. Some viewers were impatient with the slower, more reasonable pacing so D&D introduced teleportation. Some viewers wanted "righteous revenge!" for the Starks so Arya and Sansa up and killed their enemies (rather violently) and smiled while doing it. All the while, logic and narrative harmony are thrown out the window. 

Mereen, Braavos, King's Landing, the North, Bran. Each and every storyline felt slapdash and incoherent (and ultimately unnecessary considering how all the storylines resolved themselves). And Sam's storyline was utterly unnecessary. If you can leave out Bran for one whole season then you can certainly omit Sam and Gilly. 

As for the wavering loyalty of the North...it's better explained in the books. Ramsey kept hostages from the different houses to ensure their obedience. And it's sad that Sophie Turner and Kit Harington play the key characters in the North because both are such uncharismatic, stone-faced actors (not to mention Emilia Clarke's Daenerys). Bad acting plus a bad script make for a very unhappy viewer. 

I can't wait for GRRM's Winds of Winter.

to be fair arya's story was f'd even before she went to bravos

The idea that someone (Cersei) could obliterate the Faith, the lord paramount of the Reach (Mace), his heir, the Queen, the Sept of Baelor, the Hand of the King (Kevan) and not only survive another day but then be crowned Queen is preposterous. The peasants alone would go into full rebellion and storm through the city for the death of their high priest, then there's the entire Tyrell army and all of its bannermen. Then there's the multiple allegations of kinslaying. But you know... plot convenience and here we are. 

5 minutes ago, tormund's beard said:

to be fair arya's story was f'd from before she went to bravos

You know I can see what you mean but her story from before Braavos never irked me as much. I felt that any element of her Westeros storyline that bothered me would at least be redeemed by her Faceless Men plot but...alas no.

14 minutes ago, Celtic Cross said:

The idea that someone (Cersei) could obliterate the Faith, the lord paramount of the Reach (Mace), his heir, the Queen, the Sept of Baelor, the Hand of the King (Kevan) and not only survive another day but then be crowned Queen is preposterous. The peasants alone would go into full rebellion and storm through the city for the death of their high priest, then there's the entire Tyrell army and all of its bannermen. Then there's the multiple allegations of kinslaying. But you know... plot convenience and here we are. 

Just imagine someone blowing up the Vatican with the pope inside and people just don't giving a damn. 

Archived