[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

4 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

The problem I have with this I see the will as something completely different as the Lords proclaiming Jon as the KitN. In my opinion the Lords only proclaimed they would accept the leading Stark as the KitN because they are declaring themselves as independence from the southern kingdoms. There is no question that no other Stark would be able to call him king before Robb because Robb is the eldest son of Ned. 

When Jon will become the KitN because of the will, it will be because Robb decided this is the line of succession, because Jon is the next leading Stark. This has nothing to do with anyone proclaiming anyone. I think any problems that might arise regarding the succession will be because of the question which Stark is actually the real heir of Robb; which Robb might have messed up with his will. And this is actually even made more complicated what will be the consequences of the fact Jon is not really Ned's son but Lyanna's.

In the show Lyanna Mormont said literally she only follows a Stark as their King. She said this earlier. It is about the name and the lineage of the Starks. They just decided Jon was the heir to Robb and not Sansa (and I can sort of agree with them not to have Sansa as their Queen)

----

But to be honest, I actually think D&D probably did not spend any one though to this. This is just one of their fantasies they wanted to make true; no matter this does not make any sense

(I am actually just defending my darling Bran's rights; Bran for King! Usurpers)

I agree, a Will would be completely different. A declaration by the Lords is completely different.  They did it that way because they didn't do the Will (why would Robb have a Will when he had a pregnant wife, in the show?) and they wanted a KitN scene - because they think it's dramatic (even if the logic behind the Lords' reasoning is iffy, to say the least).

The showrunners wanted to get Jon into that position, but not as Robb's heir (the monarch's succession has literally been ignored since the Red Wedding), but as a declared king in his own right irrespective of his legitimacy.

I'm a Bran-fan too, and Winterfell is his.  :commie: (Perhaps the Commie symbol isn't overly appropriate.  :laugh: )

Yes, they just wanted to get from point A to point B. Doesn't matter how they get to point B.

They wanted Jon to be king, because he likely is in the books (the Robb's will plot).

Bran will return, and then something else will happen, books and show.

They just got the show to point B. They said that's how they are setting up the end part of the story:

As Dan said, we’ve known the end for quite some time and we’re hurtling towards it. Those last images from the show that aired last night showed that. Daenerys is finally coming back to Westeros; Jon Snow is king of the North and Cersei is sitting on the Iron Throne. And we know the Night King is up there, waiting for all of them. The pieces are on the board now. Some of the pieces have been removed from the board and we are heading toward the end game.

http://deadline.com/2016/06/game-of-thrones-season-6-finale-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-hbo-1201780242/

Bran King in the North!!

my perfect scene would have been  Bran appearing in the hall and the northern lords saying that......

and then Sansa and Jon smiling at him and saying "You are alive brother!!" And everyone happy and crying of joy

2 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Bran King in the North!!

my perfect scene would have been  Bran appearing in the hall and the northern lords saying that......

and then Sansa and Jon smiling at him and saying "You are alive brother!!" And everyone happy and crying of joy

Sadly we are talking about GoT :( There will probably some faux-tension. 

18 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Oh please. not. just not

I think he will be much more important in the books and in the ending, especially.

of course I don't know, and maybe the show will invent everything, but I really hope they don't kill Bran.

I think that they will avoid him being heir because he has " a magic arc", and "is not a SUper Four", but won't kill him. 

After all, the only ones who deserve to be Kings and Queens and Hands have to be SuperFours.

I was just having some fun :) . I hope they won't kill him. Anyway I think they will still use him as a prop for the Nights King to get through the wall. But who knows, it's not as if there is an actual plot to the story.

Just now, Aryya Stark said:

I was just having some fun :) . I hope they won't kill him. Anyway I think they will still use him as a prop for the Nights King to get through the wall. But who knows, it's not as if there is an actual plot to the story.

Yep, I'm not a fan of the Trace on Bran. I don't think that's a book thing at all.

1 minute ago, Ser Quork said:

Yep, I'm not a fan of the Trace on Bran. I don't think that's a book thing at all.

Me neither. I think perhaps, they know or think they know that GRRM will eventually bring down the wall or something but they do not know exactly how, so they have improvised using this silly ruse.

On one hand I hate the show and what they have done to the story, on the other hand it must be really tough on them because they are ahead of the books and don't know what to do next. I wish they had used this time to actually go back and do the stuff in the books they had ignored. However, whatever the case, nothing changes the fact that we are the ones being tortured having to watch this nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Aryya Stark said:

Me neither. I think perhaps, they know or think they know that GRRM will eventually bring down the wall or something but they do not know exactly how, so they have improvised using this silly ruse.

On one hand I hate the show and what they have done to the story, on the other hand it must be really tough on them because they are ahead of the books and don't know what to do next. I wish they had used this time to actually go back and do the stuff in the books they had ignored. However, whatever the case, nothing changes the fact that we are the ones being tortured having to watch this nonsense.

There were lots of things they could have done with the hints in the book:  What about that horn Sam has taken to the Citadel?  What about Nan's story that the Wall will stand whilst the NW stays true?  There are these nuggets that they could use, but they choose space/time/dimension-busting travels of the NK and his whole horde of spider wights through some mark placed on Bran in his virtual travels.  That's totally wacky and has no set-up whatsoever. :bang:

1 hour ago, Ser Quork said:

There were lots of things they could have done with the hints in the book:  What about that horn Sam has taken to the Citadel?  What about Nan's story that the Wall will stand whilst the NW stays true?  There are these nuggets that they could use, but they choose space/time/dimension-busting travels of the NK and his whole horde of spider wights through some mark placed on Bran in his virtual travels.  That's totally wacky and has no set-up whatsoever. :bang:

I agree. I wish they had introduced the (f)Aegon plot as well. So many things but they dug themselves into a hole and can't seem to get out...all they can do is keep digging.

4 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

Season 6 review: 

Yep, enjoyed that, and a perfect rebuttal to those criticising him for using the books in his criticism.

I miss the zany elements and humour but for this it made sense to play it absolutely straight.

23 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Yep, enjoyed that, and a perfect rebuttal to those criticising him for using the books in his criticism.

I miss the zany elements and humour but for this it made sense to play it absolutely straight.

Just finished it myself, and I agree. While I think most ranters would agree that this doesn't work as adaptation, it doesn't even work as a television program on its own merits. 

21 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Yes, they just wanted to get from point A to point B. Doesn't matter how they get to point B.

They wanted Jon to be king, because he likely is in the books (the Robb's will plot).

Bran will return, and then something else will happen, books and show.

They just got the show to point B. They said that's how they are setting up the end part of the story:

http://deadline.com/2016/06/game-of-thrones-season-6-finale-david-benioff-d-b-weiss-hbo-1201780242/

I don't really see Jon becoming "king in the north" in the books or even the heir to Winterfell.  My prediction is that this is just fan service for the TV show.  Jon is not even a Stark, really.  He's a Targaryen bastard, and will be seen that way in the North regardless of the secret marriage status that might be claimed later.  Lyanna was not in line for Winterfell anyway.  Besides Jon is an oathbreaker if he leaves the Night's Watch, and will be seen as such regardless of "but I found a loophole" argument.  All the other Stark children would have  to die, including Sansa (possible I guess) in order for Jon to be made "King in the North."  This also excludes the small possibility that Rob's widow is pregnant.  Yeah, Rob made a will, but Rob thought Jon was his real brother at the time.  Imagine what Lady Stone Heart will think about the bastard usurping her own children, she's going to hanging some northmen to say the least.

Does no one find it strange in the "girls on top" season, that only legitimate female claimant to be "on top" is denied that.  Sansa is the only female character that would have made sense to be made a queen, yet she is not made that in this season.  Cersei and the Dornish women all were made "on top" by mass murder and had no legitimacy. 

I think the show is basically and deliberately doing the opposite on many things in the future books.  Book-Littlefinger has already predicted (foreshadowed) the 'War of the three Queens.'  It's not the 'War of one King and two Queens.'  And as it appears, he is maneuvering Sansa in place to be one of those said three queens, with him playing the role as her grand vizier.  I predict that it will be Sansa Stark, Queen in the North, versus, possibly, Cersei (if we take the TV show seriously) and Dany.  Now of course, anything can happen in the upcoming books, but I think Jon as "king in the north" is a huge diversion.

48 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Yup, excellent video. Still disagree with him about season 6 being the worst, i believe season 5 was worse. And Stannis' very bad day is still the worst episode of the series for me.

1 hour ago, williamwire said:

Does no one find it strange in the "girls on top" season, that only legitimate female claimant to be "on top" is denied that.

Sadly, no. It's telling and very revealing of the mindset of the creators of the show, but I can't really consider this to be "strange" because it's a pattern that is extremely familiar over the course of the six seasons.

It ought to be regarded as being strange. But in D&D&C's world, it's par for the course.

2 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Yup, excellent video. Still disagree with him about season 6 being the worst, i believe season 5 was worse. And Stannis' very bad day is still the worst episode of the series for me.

Im with you on that

Archived