[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

3 hours ago, PuddleFace said:

I came across this article. It's got some really good points and doesn't just blatantly state "the books are better". It says "the books are better" and gives really good reasons as to why the show isn't as good as it was anymore. It's something many of you have been saying since S5 but it's nice that some mainstream media sites are picking up the valid criticisms. 

Also, I have a question for you guys. Some of you were saying how a lot that happened in S6 was due to the checklist effect. So how much do you think will actually happen in the books? Let's forget about how it will happen but just focus on the events themselves. Like will Jon be KITN? Will the Vale join the North? Martin said a couple of people will sit upon the IT so who will get it? Will Dany finally sail for Westeros? Just wondering lol

I think Jon will be made KITN but the context will make sense and be vastly different in tone. He'll have earned that title whereas in the show he was just given it even though his decisions were terrible. I think Sansa will lead the Vale army to WF through her marriage to Harry and her reveal of being Sansa Stark.  Dany will probably set sail for Westeros but with Aegon in mind. She'll want to test if he's really who he says he is and if not she'll probably destroy him. After reading a lot of poorquentyn's blog theories, I could see her inadvertently blowing up KL through dragon fire, because of all the wildfire still scattered around the city. I don't think it will be Cersei but I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, rosehustle1 said:

I think Jon will be made KITN but the context will make sense and be vastly different in tone. He'll have earned that title whereas in the show he was just given it even though his decisions were terrible. I think Sansa will lead the Vale army to WF through her marriage to Harry and her reveal of being Sansa Stark.  Dany will probably set sail for Westeros but with Aegon in mind. She'll want to test if he's really who he says he is and if not she'll probably destroy him. After reading a lot of poorquentyn's blog theories, I could see her inadvertently blowing up KL through dragon fire, because of all the wildfire still scattered around the city. I don't think it will be Cersei but I could be wrong.

I agree with these, although I'm having a hard time with the Vale army going north as winter has hit Westeros by the end of ADwD.  I'd be surprised if the Vale army goes to retake Winterfell.  Maybe, it or part of it will sent to join Jon's forces against the Others later down the narrative. :dunno:  Currently, the Vale forces being north in the show just feels like forcing Sansa to have relevance in the Northern storyline.

25 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

I agree with these, although I'm having a hard time with the Vale army going north as winter has hit Westeros by the end of ADwD.  I'd be surprised if the Vale army goes to retake Winterfell.  Maybe, it or part of it will sent to join Jon's forces against the Others later down the narrative. :dunno:  Currently, the Vale forces being north in the show just feels like forcing Sansa to have relevance in the Northern storyline.

Or maybe it will be something in which it looks like Sansa and company will be going North but something unforeseen causes a delay. I still wonder what role the Mad Mouse will play in her arc. Something definitely bad will happen at that tourney.

4 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

Or maybe it will be something in which it looks like Sansa and company will be going North but something unforeseen causes a delay. I still wonder what role the Mad Mouse will play in her arc. Something definitely bad will happen at that tourney.

:agree:this seems on the cards.

Robb's will will likely play out in the books. The battles will go very differently, with different players (Stannis, for starters). And the Vale plot will not go down as LF telegraphed, either. That's not the way LF does things in the books, and it's not the way GRRM tells stories. It's not even possible, there are no jetpacks in the books, and winter actually matters.

Events in the Vale/Riverlands are in play that will surely change the game in various ways. Hopefully Sansa doesn't let herself be pimped out by LF, and saves Sweetrobin instead. Also Sandor is right nearby, and there are many hints along those lines that he will play into her story. I think when they cut LSH, that affected Sansa, Sandor, Brienne, and Jaime.

They are making things up, swapping and shifting everyone around in various ways...

5 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

It is increasingly hard, if not impossible to predict what the characters are going to do or where they will go and why on AGOT. There is so much nonsense that it has taken away the intrigue, especially in this offseason as to what might happen. Some may say this is a good thing but I for one would like some logic in their "High Jacking" of GRRM's work.

I think they will stick to very broad story points, but in between, all bets are off. We can only go by what they telegraph. Everyone is just going to do whatever they want them to do. For maximum melodrama, violence, and shock. Although shock is quite predictable at this point.

12 hours ago, PuddleFace said:

I came across this article. It's got some really good points and doesn't just blatantly state "the books are better". It says "the books are better" and gives really good reasons as to why the show isn't as good as it was anymore. It's something many of you have been saying since S5 but it's nice that some mainstream media sites are picking up the valid criticisms. 

Also, I have a question for you guys. Some of you were saying how a lot that happened in S6 was due to the checklist effect. So how much do you think will actually happen in the books? Let's forget about how it will happen but just focus on the events themselves. Like will Jon be KITN? Will the Vale join the North? Martin said a couple of people will sit upon the IT so who will get it? Will Dany finally sail for Westeros? Just wondering lol

I would expect Dany to take control of a large part of the Dothraki.  I don't think she'll travel to Vaes Dothrak as a prisoner (I don't think that Khal Jhaqo has long to live) because she and Drogon are now clearly closely bonded.  I do expect her to undergo some form of trial by ordeal, in order to confirm to the Dothraki that she is the Stallion Who Mounts the World.  I also expect her to promise them the accumulated treasures of Western Essos as their reward for following her.

I think the Battle of Meereen will be done by the time she returns there. The Ironborn, and the defection of the Windblown and Brown Ben's company will have swung it in favour of her side.  I think that it's quite likely that a great deal of the Volantene navy will have defected to her, under the influence of the Red Priests.

I would expect to see revolution in Volantis in her favour, together with an invasion of Western Essos, with Volantis and Pentos then being used as bases for the invasion of Westeros.  I think Dany will reach Dragonstone by the end of TWOW, but not any earlier in the book.

At home, I don't know if Aegon and Arianne will marry, but I'm sure they'll be allies, and take Kings Landing with the aid of the Golden Company.  I think that they will be eventual antagonists to Dany, resulting in the eventual destruction of House Martell (I take Arianne's comment "Nymeria burned as bright as any man, and so shall I" to foreshadow her eventual fate).

So, I just realised something. During Kingsmoot, when Theon says "gallivanting", Euron asks if that's what DOCTOR says when he cuts off your cock. Shouldn't he say maester? I never heard word "doctor" used in aSoIaF/GoT before.

Maybe as the show goes on, the Iron Throne will lose its meaning. Being the British monarch used to come with ll the power in the world, but through history, it has become a non-executive position and Elizabeth the II wields no real power. 

Even now, I dont view Cersei as the real power of Westeros. Ironically not since Robert has the actual King/Queen been the most powerful . Tywin was the real power after King Robert died, then when Tywin died, power was vested in the remaining Lannister's and Tyrells, who squandered it and allowed the High Sparrow to divide them (although it was mainly Cersei fault).

Vary's said power is located where men believe it to be. And Tyrion quite rightly said armies give you power. The 'Iron Throne' is an illusion of power. The Iron Thrones power derives from the meaning men give to it. I think as time goes by,the Iron Throne will lose its prestige. nd the only person who can restore its prestige and meaning, is Dany - she will need to do what Aegon did and conquer the seven Kingdoms with her dragons. No one else is capable of unifying all 7 kingdoms. However, I dont think Dany will do what Aegon did. Thus, the Iron Throne is overrated. 

4 hours ago, Deatheye said:

So, I just realised something. During Kingsmoot, when Theon says "gallivanting", Euron asks if that's what DOCTOR says when he cuts off your cock. Shouldn't he say maester? I never heard word "doctor" used in aSoIaF/GoT before.

That's hilarious... he said doctor. :lol:

I was curious. I checked out the "doctor" thing.

Asbaek's delivery is extremely unclear but I'm quite certain he is supposed to be saying "is that the sort of thing you start to say once your dick gets chopped off?"

The "you start to" bit does sound quite like "doctor" in his delivery of it.

2 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Asbaek's delivery is extremely unclear but I'm quite certain he is supposed to be saying "is that the sort of thing you start to say once your dick gets chopped off?"

Ah, another French sleeves/fringed sleeves thing.

I did look through the books briefly and it's always called a cock, not a dick. Also looking through the show transcripts, it's always called a cock, too.

This was an odd line. The whole scene was oddly written.

Also gallivanting is off. Not used in the books, or on the show before this.

21 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Ah, another French sleeves/fringed sleeves thing. The point there was, it was telling that people expected mistakes.

I did look through the books briefly and it's always called a cock, not a dick. Also looking through the show transcripts, it's always called a cock, too.

This was an odd line. The whole scene was oddly written.

It was indeed oddly written, and good point about "dick" vs "cock"

Kinslaying and Kingslaying not only acceptable but praiseworthy.

Euron's winning plan.

Yara's phantom supporters.

I do feel a little sorry for Asbaek. I liked him in everything else I've seen him in (A Hijacking and Borgen). He is miscast here and given dreadful material.

So Dinklage, Clarke, Harrington all nominated for acting Emmys.... 

Even knowing how meaningless awards generally are, this is a new low. Headey and Williams I can buy, they're solid and consistent even when their writing sucks. But Dinklage??? Except for the dragon tamer scene and the Hand scene at the end, he's been phoning it in since last season.

Clarke.... come on. No really, come on.

At least Harrington looks like he's trying. But trying doesn't deserve awards. 

We also have D&D for writing (LOL), Best Drama and Directing for The Door and BOTB (I am OK with these last 2). 

18 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Yeah, I was curious too. I watched it with the closed captioning on, this is what he says.

"Gallivanting? Is that the sort of thing you start to say once your dick gets chopped off? Did the great lords of Westeros teach you words like that?"

The fact that I had no doubts he did say doctor, until I check it out, says a lot about d$d's writing in of itself.

24 minutes ago, Crixus said:

So Dinklage, Clarke, Harrington all nominated for acting Emmys.... 

Even knowing how meaningless awards generally are, this is a new low. Headey and Williams I can buy, they're solid and consistent even when their writing sucks. But Dinklage??? Except for the dragon tamer scene and the Hand scene at the end, he's been phoning it in since last season.

Clarke.... come on. No really, come on.

At least Harrington looks like he's trying. But trying doesn't deserve awards. 

We also have D&D for writing (LOL), Best Drama and Directing for The Door and BOTB (I am OK with these last 2). 

:agree: 

Although, that the bolded is even possible, renders these awards completely meaningless to me. I haven't been able to take the Emmys seriously at all, since d$d was nominated for their first one. That somehow they actually won?? :o  What a joke. 

Archived