[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

4 hours ago, Chebyshov said:

:wideeyed:. At least she's safe.

D&D still get the gold for their butchery of Ellaria, but not a single PoV character has fared well. If you're a fan of the big three, this can't have been easy at all. You've got Jonny Mouthbreather, Arya Todd, and Deadpan Card-born.

Yes, she's safe that's the good side of it.

Ellaria was probably the most butchered character. Seems like she is some mix of Arianne, Obara and Darkstar with an LS personality on the show.

It wasn't easy. Especially not during the last two seasosn and watching Season 4 as a Jaime fan was outright terrible. I watched season 4 with my parents (who haven't read the books) and had to explain to them why Jaime is one of my favourite characters in the books :(.

Stannis is one of my favourite non-POV characters. So imagine how I felt about watching the last two episodes of season 5....

I don't like Tyrion in the books, but still.. you have Peter Dinklage, an Emmy-award winning actor ,and all you let him do for one season is telling dick jockes???

I haven't read all pages of this topic, so can you tell me why you refer to Arya as "Arya Todd" and to Daenerys as "Deadpan Card-born"?

23 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

I can't decide between Cersei and the White Walkers. I just hope she either kills everyone with wildfire or the White Walkers kill everyone, so that this shit is finally over. 

I was rooting for the WW until they killed Summer. Now my favorite is a possible existent earth quake or another natural disaster. 

2 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I was rooting for the WW until they killed Summer. Now my favorite is a possible existent earth quake or another natural disaster. 

Maybe there are still some hidden CotF who can do a second hammer of the waters. Just on a larger scale ;)

6 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

I don't like Tyrion in the books, but still.. you have Peter Dinklage, an Emmy-award winning actor ,and all you let him do for one season is telling dick jockes???

I haven't read all pages of this topic, so can you tell me why you refer to Arya as "Arya Todd" and to Daenerys as "Deadpan Card-born"?

We call show!Tyrion "Saint Tyrion" around here, because he's so perfect that he fits the TvTropes definition of a Mary Sue to the letter. His drinking games were just painful.

"Arya Todd" is mostly because she reminded me of Sweeney Todd in this moment, lol. "Deadpan Card-born" is because someone forgot to tell Emilia Clarke that emoting is sometimes cool. We actually have a whole glossary, though most are intuitive. It avoids the whole book!character/show!character convention. The only weird ones are that Cersei and Jaime are "Carol" (now "Cheryl" actually; it was her evil alternate personality) and "Larry" just because...they're very not like Cersei and Jaime.

We have our fun....

1 minute ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Maybe there are still some hidden CotF who can do a second hammer of the waters. Just on a larger scale ;)

That certain CotF would certainly be my favorite character of the whole series. (Or maybe Bran will learn this power. Come on, Bran. You will be finally more than some exposition machine :rolleyes:)

6 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

I'll root for Missandei. She's delightful.

Just now, Chebyshov said:

I'll root for Missandei. She's delightful.

I admire her for surviving those conversation with Saint T. She must have a lot of patience for that. 

23 minutes ago, Chebyshov said:

We call show!Tyrion "Saint Tyrion" around here, because he's so perfect that he fits the TvTropes definition of a Mary Sue to the letter. His drinking games were just painful.

"Arya Todd" is mostly because she reminded me of Sweeney Todd in this moment, lol. "Deadpan Card-born" is because someone forgot to tell Emilia Clarke that emoting is sometimes cool. We actually have a whole glossary, though most are intuitive. It avoids the whole book!character/show!character convention. The only weird ones are that Cersei and Jaime are "Carol" (now "Cheryl" actually; it was her evil alternate personality) and "Larry" just because...they're very not like Cersei and Jaime.

We have our fun....

The book snob glossary is hilarious :D.

My personal favourite is Meli-sans-bra.

Which reminds me that there was one good thing about season 6: less nudity.

That and the music, but this still doesn't make up for how they've pretty much ruined every single storyline. 

4 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Joins the party really late..

I haven't used my account in four years, but I've decided to come back, because this is the only place where people share my views about the show. Everyone on Facebook loved it and most reviews where positive and I couldn't understand why. 

I was a show watcher before I came a book reader. 

I loved this show, beause it was complex, intelligent, had interesting characters and was different.

The same with me. I will still watch the show, but all my hopes are with the 6th book. I think D&D did a great job adapting text into scenes, but enventing things and rewriting them were disasters. The e9-10 in s6 seemed a write off of some average fanfic to me.

I think many superficial viewers (yeah, I'm a snob) loved the show because of sudden twists, sex scenes and visual effects. The complexity of characters who are neither good nor bad went over the head. Daenerys is cool because she is hot and has dragons. Tyrion is great because he is witty guy and so on.

I agree with what you said about deathes. Every death in ASOIAF has its meaning and not for a shock sake. And even all the butchering in s5-s6 doesn't bring GOT points for being so brutal. I watch Vikings now, and GOT is a Cinderella cartoon compared to Vikings in terms of violence.

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:58 PM, Chebyshov said:

We have our fun....

I like "Arya Todd", and it's quite fitting.

I think that the way Emilia Clarke plays Daenerys is quite fitting - if you think that Daenerys is a cold, selfish, ruthless autocrat;  but, I'm not sure that's what the Show producers are aiming for (nor George Martin, for that matter).

On 11-10-2016 at 6:34 PM, SeanF said:

I like "Arya Todd", and it's quite fitting.

Yes... What with the crazy grin over a Frey Pie. But Todd is also a first name, and confusing. How about Sweeney Stark? It's the Sweeney we tend to associate with cannibal pies, mad grins while slashing throats.

26 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Yes... What with the crazy grin over a Frey Pie. But Todd is also a first name, and confusing. How about Sweeney Stark? It's the Sweeney we tend to associate with cannibal pies, mad grins while slashing throats.

My wife said that Arya looked as if she was having an orgasm as she watched Lord Walder die.

56 minutes ago, Ruhail said:

Everyone gets amnesia around Tyrion and finds the unctrollable urge to tell and take shitty jokes its known as:

St.Cockilphygusism.

:lmao:

I don't agree with most of Preston Jacob's theories, but I have to give him credit when credit is due. I just watched this video where he tries to find explanations for some of the stuff that happened in season 6 and the video is hillarious. To be frank his explanations make a bit more sense than some of the explanations given by the showrunners and the cast and the video has some good ranting.

Yay i finally found a place where i belong lol. Everyone around me is always raving about the show and I'm just like :rolleyes:

Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys a question. Is there ANY character left in the show that you actually care about?

My sister never read the books but even she can tell how ridiculous the writing has become and how these characters are so OOC. I can see her constantly eye rolling throughout the episodes lol. I don't understand how people still call this "The best tv series ever!"

32 minutes ago, Moonmoon said:

Yay i finally found a place where i belong lol. Everyone around me is always raving about the show and I'm just like :rolleyes:

Anyways, I wanted to ask you guys a question. Is there ANY character left in the show that you actually care about?

My sister never read the books but even she can tell how ridiculous the writing has become and how these characters are so OOC. I can see her constantly eye rolling throughout the episodes lol. I don't understand how people still call this "The best tv series ever!"

Gilly's magically unageing baby. I am heavily invested in discovering his secret of eternal youth.

5 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Gilly's magically unageing baby. I am heavily invested in discovering his secret of eternal youth.

There are so many mysteries in the show. What do you think about tommen's sudden growth spurt? Too bad we'll know his secret :(

@ Moonmoon: 

Welcome, nice ranting

I don't understand why people call it the best TV series ever, either.

The characters I care about right now are: 

Ghost, but they really try to honour his name.

I really like Meera in the show.  The fact that she basically gave up everything in order to help Bran makes her really sympathetic to me. Instead of running and trying to save her own life after the whole Hodor thing the still tried to save Bran, knowing that she would most likely die as well. I think these factors make her one of the morally best characters of the show. How many of us would do the same?  Unfortunately she's sort of a backround character right now.

Somehow I really like Cheryl/ Charol. She's not Cersei from the books, but somehow I like her. Even after the wildfire thing. Maybe because I hope that she will just blow the entirety of Westeros up? 

It's good that your sister recognises how terrible the writing has become. In the past I've watched each season twice. Once after it aired in the US and then again when it aired in my home country (which is usually 10 months after the US release). I normally did the second watch together with my parents who have not read the books and who are really casual viewers and don't really know the name of the characters. Daenerys is "the girl with dragons", Cersei "the blonde evil queen", Jon "the guy at the wall", etc. None of us liked season 5 and when I told my mother what kind of stuff happened in season 6 she said "this is ridiculous how did they get an Emmy for this?". She recognised that it was bad without even having watched season 6. I also convinced her to read the books and I hope that she'll start soon. 

Hello fellow ranters, glad to read most of you again!

I just wanted to post (albeit being late to the party) that I just love Linda's piece on season 6. (Don't know where else to put it.) What a wonderful, poignant summary of basically all that was wrong with the season... She's not mincing words, either. I think I'll have to change my signature soon... Anyway, strongly recommended to those who haven't watched it yet.

@Moonmoon: I somewhat cared about Loras until the bitter end, not really sure why... It probably had more to do with the actor than with what they made this character. He did the best he could with what they gave him, which can't be said about most of the main actors anymore.

ETA: Wow, I'm a nobleperson now! Not bad for a lowborn, former hedgeknight,

Archived