[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

12 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Ah, Alex Graves. What a joker.

I didn't know abou these. Thanks for the link. 

His comments on the Jaime/Brienne bathtub scene, Sophie's comment and the fact that he directed the Jaime/Cersei sept scene aleady gave me a low opinion about him.  No wonder they didn't use him as a director again after Season 4. 

This stuff is bad as well.

Why is there no one at HBO who checks what kind of stuff they put into the commentaries? 

Apparently not . HBO was SHOCKED that the producers used a George W. Bush head as one of the spiked heads in one early scene (Joffrey and Sansa) -- and then boasted about it on the DVD commentary. The company had to issue a tepid apology and re-edit the episode.

8 minutes ago, TepidHands said:

Apparently not. HBO was SHOCKED that the producers used a George W. Bush head as one of the spiked heads in one early scene (maybe Joffrey and Sansa) -- and then boasted about it on the DVD commentary. The company had to issue a tepid apology and re-edit the episode.

I knew about the George Bush head, but not that they boasted about it.

It's amazing how often D&D or other people involved in the production self-incriminate themselves. They would really benefit from checking this stuff, before releasing it. 

It was, to me, a sign of the frat-boy, Goldman Sachs Trustafarian hijinks to come. And come, they did. Look at that recent picture at WotW of Benioff and Emilia Clark and some girls (or that lovely shot of him flipping off the camera as his wife liplocks with Pedro Pascal after an Emmy-fest). There's  fundamental lack of seriousness about these guys. HBO ladles money over this production but they seem poor stewards of the story, personally, emotionally, financially. 

OMG! I just googled "Trustafarian Benioff" and my profile was the first result!

It was a word scholarship students at Princeton (and probably other Ivies) used to describe the legacies who slummed in their $200 jeans and huaraches handmade on their last family trip to Guadalajara and sniggered at the 1600 SAT kids with their knockoff jeans and Chucks before they were cool.

Sorry. This is not the space for classist ranting! :unsure: 

Still, there is a big whiff of "privilege" about the way these showrunners treat "the help." I think their treatment of Siddig shows that (oh, and book readers like Ian McElhinney). 

1 minute ago, TepidHands said:

OMG! I just googled "Trustafarian Benioff" and my profile was the first result!

It was a word scholarship students at Princeton (and probably other Ivies) used to describe the legacies who slummed in their $200 jeans and huaraches handmade on their last family trip to Guadalajara and sniggered at the 1600 SAT kids with their knockoff jeans and Chucks before they were cool.

Sorry. This is not the space for classist ranting! :unsure: 

Still, there is a big whiff of "privilege" about the way these showrunners treat "the help." I think their treatment of Siddig shows that (oh, and book readers like Ian McElhinney). 

This was so sad!!!!!!!!! He was so good! But Tyrion had to become regent, after being slave only during two episodes

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Actually, they wanted to make a sex scene with Sansa since s2 IIRC.

While they were WRITING season 2 and they wanted her with Ramsay then. Sophie was 14/15 years old at the time they wrote Season 2. Benioff even commented that he felt very uncomfortable when shooting Season 2 when Sophie's father came to the set (it was a surprise but her mother had to chaperone her then as she was under 16) and they were filming the KL mob scene where they throw Sophie/Sansa on a straw floor and is about to be gang raped before The Hound saved her. He was feeling uncomfortable as her parents were seated on either side of him and he knew that the production team planned on having her marry Ramsay in a few years (ironically they knew it would be filmed when she was "18" at the time). They had it planned for a while.

On 12/8/2016 at 2:36 PM, TheCasualObserver said:

People will argue until they are blue in the face about why Sansa didn't tell Jon about the imminent cavalry. Whatever the in universe reason you come up with, the truth will always be that they wanted the Vale Knight's arrival to be a surprise, an utterly futile gesture since there was no other way the battle could end; people assumed that the Vale knights would show up to save the day and watched to see if that would be proven wrong. It wasn't. 

I think that's a big mistake the show makes often, things are so contrived. Some of the supposed spoilers for next season are coming off that way, too. There are ways to be surprising without contrivances.

And the other thing they do is telegraph things, a character will sometimes literally state, this is going to happen next. And you actually hope it doesn't, just to make it interesting, but sure enough, it plays out just that way.

In this case, Littlefinger said he was going to invade with the Vale troops in season 5. And so he did. So really, everyone spent all of that time thinking, so this is going to happen, and it did. And then they didn't even play that up.

They contrived that Sansa was saving the day. But she just played into his hands. They could have played up that he pulled the strings, that would have at least accounted for the telegraphing/lack of suspense.

What would have been unexpected and yet her saving the day would be if she told Jon about it, and they could have sent a raven to Sweetrobin telling him what LF did, he sent the troops for Sansa anyway, he said so ("she's my cousin").

But then there would be no contrived plot for this season. But who needs one? Make up a plot that's not contrived! She's had virtually no character development that was not tossed out, so give her some of that back.

Also I think the high production values paper over the flaws in the stories.

On 12/8/2016 at 2:36 PM, TheCasualObserver said:

People will argue until they are blue in the face about why Sansa didn't tell Jon about the imminent cavalry. Whatever the in universe reason you come up with, the truth will always be that they wanted the Vale Knight's arrival to be a surprise, an utterly futile gesture since there was no other way the battle could end; people assumed that the Vale knights would show up to save the day and watched to see if that would be proven wrong. It wasn't. 

I think this is the heart of it. Maybe people truly get enjoyment out of spinning Watsonian excuses to make sense of the narrative. It allows for a lot of creativity, though there's often problems inherent that are contradictory to other elements (see: any rationalization for why the High Sparrow thought Cersei would show up for her trial in the finale, when she "chose violence" before. There's no way to spin it that works). But it's a matter of getting people to realize that Watsonian considerations on this show just aren't worth it at all, since everything illogical and inconsistent permeates on a deep level.

The good news is it's relatively easy to get people on-board. You can point out something like "why did Lancel chase after the little boy?" It's pretty much universally accepted it was to create a cooler looking boom on screen, because there is no in-verse reason such a thing would happen. Ditto for Sansa and the Vale Knights. Then you can get into Arya's gutsy parkour, why Bran bothered to replay the Stark home movie when they were running from the army of the dead, why Margaery was being tailed by a septa while Cersei was running around (accused of high-treason) unattended, or even smaller things like why Dany withheld being a khaleesi until she was in front of Khal Python. It adds up to a pattern that is just devoid of any thought beyond "we want big moments."

4 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

I think that's a big mistake the show makes often, things are so contrived. Some of the supposed spoilers for next season are coming off that way, too. There are ways to be surprising without contrivances.

And the other thing they do is telegraph things, a character will sometimes literally state, this is going to happen next. And you actually hope it doesn't, just to make it interesting, but sure enough, it plays out just that way.

In this case, Littlefinger said he was going to invade with the Vale troops in season 5. And so he did. So really, everyone spent all of that time thinking, so this is going to happen, and it did. And then they didn't even play that up.

They contrived that Sansa was saving the day. But she just played into his hands. They could have played up that he pulled the strings, that would have at least accounted for the telegraphing/lack of suspense.

What would have been unexpected and yet her saving the day would be if she told Jon about it, and they could have sent a raven to Sweetrobin telling him what LF did, he sent the troops for Sansa anyway, he said so ("she's my cousin").

But then there would be no contrived plot for this season. But who needs one? Make up a plot that's not contrived! She's had virtually no character development that was not tossed out, so give her some of that back.

Also I think the high production values paper over the flaws in the stories.

I may be jumping the gun, but season 7 looks to be full of contrivances. Euron's fleet from nowhere is one for sure and the idiotic wight hunt as well. I'm convinced that Cersei having any power at all at this point is one of the worst, so that's going to be a season long problem. Who is supporting her at this point? Euron? How does that help?

3 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

:lol:

Have you seen the uniform of the Queensguard? 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzpXXmYW8AAfdQo.jpg:orig

Someone in the Costume department must have been confused about the difference between KG and NW and which colours these organisations wear...

9 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

I may be jumping the gun, but season 7 looks to be full of contrivances. Euron's fleet from nowhere is one for sure and the idiotic wight hunt as well. I'm convinced that Cersei having any power at all at this point is one of the worst, so that's going to be a season long problem. Who is supporting her at this point? Euron? How does that help?

Apparently the Tarlys support her as well, but I agree that it's totally contrieved that Cersei manages to stay in power for so long. 

2 hours ago, Chebyshov said:

I think this is the heart of it. Maybe people truly get enjoyment out of spinning Watsonian excuses to make sense of the narrative. It allows for a lot of creativity, though there's often problems inherent that are contradictory to other elements (see: any rationalization for why the High Sparrow thought Cersei would show up for her trial in the finale, when she "chose violence" before. There's no way to spin it that works). But it's a matter of getting people to realize that Watsonian considerations on this show just aren't worth it at all, since everything illogical and inconsistent permeates on a deep level.

The good news is it's relatively easy to get people on-board. You can point out something like "why did Lancel chase after the little boy?" It's pretty much universally accepted it was to create a cooler looking boom on screen, because there is no in-verse reason such a thing would happen. Ditto for Sansa and the Vale Knights. Then you can get into Arya's gutsy parkour, why Bran bothered to replay the Stark home movie when they were running from the army of the dead, why Margaery was being tailed by a septa while Cersei was running around (accused of high-treason) unattended, or even smaller things like why Dany withheld being a khaleesi until she was in front of Khal Python. It adds up to a pattern that is just devoid of any thought beyond "we want big moments."

I'm not especially active on off seasons, but I've noticed a "relaxing" of many posters on explaining how and why things happen in Weiseroff. I guess we've reached a point where people can't justify the bullshit to the same extent that they could in earlier seasons. My problem isn't posters on a forum for the books, my problem is the endless articles from the media still holding on the the idea that GOT is high art with a serious point to make about politics, or indeed anything else. But when everything that happens is contrived to shit and focused around schlocky elements, it's analysis that doesn't hold up.

How can GOT have anything meaningful to say about politics when the only way characters succeed in-universe is through violent murder? How can GOT have anything meaningful to say about sexual violence when it uses it as windrow dressing or cheap shocks? How can GOT have anything to say about the medieval period in general if the writers just use the setting to excuse themselves for putting distasteful things on screen? 

I don't see how it can. After a long time feeling angry with GOT and those who watch it and rave about it, I'm acclimatizing to those who simply watch it for the dragons and the battles. When Ian McShane said "it's just tits and dragons" I cheered, because that is a sentiment which confronts what the show has become since the red wedding and maybe before that. But those who defend the show on grounds of "artistic integrity" or who point to it as an example of "smart tv" still get my hackles up. 

20 minutes ago, TheCasualObserver said:

I'm not especially active on off seasons, but I've noticed a "relaxing" of many posters on explaining how and why things happen in Weiseroff. I guess we've reached a point where people can't justify the bullshit to the same extent that they could in earlier seasons. My problem isn't posters on a forum for the books, my problem is the endless articles from the media still holding on the the idea that GOT is high art with a serious point to make about politics, or indeed anything else. But when everything that happens is contrived to shit and focused around schlocky elements, it's analysis that doesn't hold up.

How can GOT have anything meaningful to say about politics when the only way characters succeed in-universe is through violent murder? How can GOT have anything meaningful to say about sexual violence when it uses it as windrow dressing or cheap shocks? How can GOT have anything to say about the medieval period in general if the writers just use the setting to excuse themselves for putting distasteful things on screen? 

I don't see how it can. After a long time feeling angry with GOT and those who watch it and rave about it, I'm acclimatizing to those who simply watch it for the dragons and the battles. When Ian McShane said "it's just tits and dragons" I cheered, because that is a sentiment which confronts what the show has become since the red wedding and maybe before that. But those who defend the show on grounds of "artistic integrity" or who point to it as an example of "smart tv" still get my hackles up. 

well said.

Archived