[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussions - First We Take King's Landing Edition

Ran

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

In theory the ending has always been the same, and I don't think Martin will tell it before, unless he becomes  a writer of S8.

Yeah, if he tells us, he'll tell us after S8.

What I was trying to say was - we really don't have a guarantee whether they'll change the ending or not. What if, let's say, Tyrion is supposed to die in the end, but because he's such a fan favorite, D&D keep him alive to be Hand of the King or whatever in the show ending? Same goes for Jon and Dany. OTOH, we have seen in previous seasons how they treat characters they don't like (Stannis, Jaime) so they might kill off characters who aren't that popular or something (like Bran :mellow:). You never know - all we have got as spoilers for the future books is grains of truth mixed in with a whole lot of crap from S5 and S6, so they could follow that pattern in the final seasons as well.

17 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

What I was trying to say was - we really don't have a guarantee whether they'll change the ending or not. What if, let's say, Tyrion is supposed to die in the end, but because he's such a fan favorite, D&D keep him alive to be Hand of the King or whatever in the show ending? Same goes for Jon and Dany. OTOH, we have seen in previous seasons how they treat characters they don't like (Stannis, Jaime) so they might kill off characters who aren't that popular or something (like Bran :mellow:). You never know - all we have got as spoilers for the future books is grains of truth mixed in with a whole lot of crap from S5 and S6, so they could follow that pattern in the final seasons as well.

I don't think they will change the ending (last epsiods of s8) but I could see Tyrion having more protagonism or things like that.

1 hour ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I don't think they will change the ending (last epsiods of s8) but I could see Tyrion having more protagonism or things like that.

I agree and I think the ending will be the same in the way that whoever of the main characters will die will also die in the books and whoever will live will also live in the books. Whoever will be King or Queen will also be King or Queen in the books, but they way in which these things come to pass might be completely different. On top of that the show will never tell us the endings of characters like Arianne, LS, Aegon, Victarion, Strong Belawas, and Val to only name a few. Apart from that the show will never reveal some mysteries like who the hooded man of winterfell was or what exactly happened with Ashara Dayne. So, some basic things might be the same, but the books will give us a fuller picture. On top of that I could  see D&D killing off a few characters they consider useless for the end game in order to fulfill the show's chocking death quota. Characters like Missandei, Bronn (who has been given a bigger role on the show than in the books) or Meera (who is barely gets to speak any lines anymore) or Pod  might be in danger, even when they will survive in the books. Only the ending for the main characters might be the same. 

On 23.10.2016 at 5:34 PM, Little Scribe of Naath said:

My two cents: I would not put it beyond them to "save" favorites of themselves or fan favorites. IMO it depends on whether D&D or HBO expect to make a lot of money afterwards (with merchandising, spinoffs, comics and the like). If not, then I'd guess the big bang/ shock of killing off favorites might appeal more to them than any

desire to keep them alive. If yes, it might be wiser to keep, say, Tyrion alive.

9 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

My two cents: I would not put it beyond them to "save" favorites of themselves or fan favorites. IMO it depends on whether D&D or HBO expect to make a lot of money afterwards (with merchandising, spinoffs, comics and the like). If not, then I'd guess the big bang/ shock of killing off favorites might appeal more to them than any

desire to keep them alive. If yes, it might be wiser to keep, say, Tyrion alive.

Yep.

Tyrion is the star of the show. He tells cock jokes! They have a notebook in which says. Important things to remember whenwriting:

1) Insert cock jokes

2) Idolize Tyrion

3) Invent things

without him 1) and 2) would be very difficult to achieve.

21 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

That's exactly my line of thinking. D&D and HBO will do what they see to be profitable for the show - if that means killing people who live in the books (or vice versa) they'll do that. Or if they feel like pushing some faux-feminist agenda (as they did last season), they might very well put Dany on the throne even if she doesn;t get it in the books. I don't think it's certain they'll give us a book ending.

I don't care about any of the characters on the show.  Cersei's bomb at the end of Season 6 could have blown up all of Planetos and the show ended right there and I would not have been affected one iota.

I only watch to see if the show reveals any clues about the story in the books that I do care about. 

All we really have to go by is that when Martin gave them the broad strokes, they found the ending "satisfying." Who the hell knows what that means. Tyrion surviving is probably enough for them. They had Ellaria murder Doran in the name of REVENGE and thought that they had adapted the Frey Pies by keeping the ingredients the same; I'm not sure why we're supposed to take anything that happens to mean something for the books.

1 hour ago, Chebyshov said:

All we really have to go by is that when Martin gave them the broad strokes, they found the ending "satisfying." Who the hell knows what that means. Tyrion surviving is probably enough for them. They had Ellaria murder Doran in the name of REVENGE and thought that they had adapted the Frey Pies by keeping the ingredients the same; I'm not sure why we're supposed to take anything that happens to mean something for the books.

I agree and I hope once TWOW is published, people will finally realize that.

the show is beholden to their highest paid stars, the lannister trio and the Targs. Whatever happens, the last 13 episodes will involve heavy doses of them. It is already showing this overload. It will not get any better. GRRM is very happy as of late as this show is so far off the rails that even if the show ending is similar, it really will not spoil the final books, that is if GRRM lives long enough or cares enough to finish them.

9 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

the show is beholden to their highest paid stars, the lannister trio and the Targs. Whatever happens, the last 13 episodes will involve heavy doses of them. It is already showing this overload. It will not get any better. GRRM is very happy as of late as this show is so far off the rails that even if the show ending is similar, it really will not spoil the final books, that is if GRRM lives long enough or cares enough to finish them.

They could make a sitcom with this super characters.

They all living in the same house.

The rest of the characters are the guests who appear in one episode and knock the door asking for salt.

/sarcasticmode

If they didn't focus as much on them maybe people would get confused :wacko:

because people can only focus on 5 characters at most, if not they get lost.

And the protagonists are only the ones who deserve an story, if the others used to have one it doesn't matter. Better change that :)

/endofsarcasticmode

4 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I really think Tyrion will fall for Dany. And Jon. Because Dany is Dany and every man whom he encounters falls desperately in love with her /sarcasm

I liked Dany in the first season when she was an underdog. But since then, I agree, she has become an simpering, one-dimensional man's wet dream. I just don't find her rootable anymore like I did early on and a big reason is because it's hard to root for someone whom ALL the men (save Varys but then he's a eunuch so he doesn't count) fall madly in love with. I mean, really? Meanwhile, there are other women on the show even more beautiful but...no one is falling over them the way ALL with a penis fall over Dany. I don't get it.  Seriously, do D & D really think this will endear her to female viewers? That's why I think she's written as a male fantasy. 

On 28.10.2016 at 2:40 PM, HanginginWesteros said:

I liked Dany in the first season when she was an underdog. But since then, I agree, she has become an simpering, one-dimensional man's wet dream. I just don't find her rootable anymore like I did early on and a big reason is because it's hard to root for someone whom ALL the men (save Varys but then he's a eunuch so he doesn't count) fall madly in love with. I mean, really? Meanwhile, there are other women on the show even more beautiful but...no one is falling over them the way ALL with a penis fall over Dany. I don't get it.  Seriously, do D & D really think this will endear her to female viewers? That's why I think she's written as a male fantasy. 

Agreed and she's actually one of my favourite characters in the books. 

In the books men fall for her as well, but I think it's done in a better way. The men don't really care about her character, they only care about her dragons and/ or her beauty. Dany as a person doesn't really matter to them. I think that was a really good way to show that beauty can have disadvantages and that they are more important things than being beautiful. Of course D&D haven't shown us this subtilities. In the books we also have men who fall for other beautiful women like Cersei, Sansa, Arianne and Margery or if you want to use a character we only know from the reports of other characters Ashara. 

I find it hard to root or even for any other of the main characters as well:

Tyrion: Too annoying.

Cersei: Entertaining, but too evil.

Jaime: Was ruined for me by the sept scene and the exclusion of his redemption arc, so I don't feel sympathetic towards him. He still seems to be the same person he was in Season 1. 

Jon: Too stupid and incompetent at everything except for swordfighting. 

Sansa: Impossible to understand her. Was willing to risk the lives of thousands of people including her last living relatives, because of reasons and didn't react to her young brother's death at al that doesn't make herke sympathetic. 

Arya: The show has excluded her softer sides, so she comes off as a bit too psycho for me and he storyline was terrible this season. 

Bran: Too unimportant in the show and I don't really know anything about his character only about his magical powers. 

In conclusion the show has made it impossible for me to care about the main characters, even about the ones I love in the books. 

Archived