Varys????

My guess is that the script changed at some point. No one bothered to take him out of the scene of the armada at sea.

I've heard it said that there is at least one Tyrell banner seen among the fleet, indicating that he really did sail back.

Alternatively, he has license to the magic horse that gets everyone around so quickly. For reference, it's the horse Jaime rode up the stairs of the Great Sept, and also the horse that Dany was riding when she found Drogon; both scenes are in the same episode.

Presumably, this was the horse Littlefinger rode to and from Winterfell, to meet with Sansa.

On 6/26/2016 at 11:13 PM, Corvinus said:

Obviously, but it still looked bad the way it was shown. Couldn't they have shown Varys actually return, and inform Dany that he secured alliances with Dorne and Olenna?

That may have been cut. Could end up as a bonus scene.

On 6/26/2016 at 10:13 PM, Rumy Stark said:

Ok I know this show plays with time travel but how in the world was Varys with the fleet in that final scene???? We literally saw him in Dorne IN THIS EP.

I am just so confused right now. Why was it even necessary for him to be there? Like why couldn't he have just waited to welcome them in Dorne? I am confused. Can anyone shed any light on this?

As others probably have already said ... time has passed within the episode.  a pretty fair amount of time.

Jon/sansa had time to summon the Northern lords and they had time to get to winterfell.  This could take up to a month, easily.

Jamie travelled from the Twins to Kings Landing

Danny had her entire fleet refit and reoutfitted, including the sails.  This could take several months.   And then the fleet was loaded up and has put to sea.  Not an overnight task, that.

1 hour ago, Millimidget said:

I've heard it said that there is at least one Tyrell banner seen among the fleet, indicating that he really did sail back.

There were actually quite a few sails with sigils of the Tyrells and the Martells of Dorne. Completely missed it the 1st time thru, but watched it again and looked for the different sails and they were all over the place

As an aside... was thi the first time Dany met Varys? If memory serves, he showed up after she got taken by the Dothraki and left for Dorne before she returned. Which means Varys sailing in to Slavers Bay with ships from Westeros would have been their 1st meeting.

I'd guess it would take about 3 months sailing to get to Meereen, let's say it takes the same to return to Westeros. 

On the after the episode program D&D said that the fleet was "leaving slavers bay" in this scene - they are sailing west which means very early in the journey, or slightly later after they have sailed south past the danger of the smoking sea, maybe a month into the journey. Or possibility, it's sunset and they are sailing east because it looked badass, and later they'll do  a u-turn when no-one is watching.

This means that in the intervening period since we saw them last, Varys, the snake ladies and the Tyrell's, along with the Redwyne/Arbor fleet (already established as the largest fleet still afloat in Westoros, have sailed for 3 months to Meereen, to turn around and head back, for no reason (noting that Dany was wrapping up her affairs there and setting off before they arrived so she was on the brink of leaving. )

All up they will have been gone for 6 months. During that time, nobody noticed that the entire Tyrell + Dorne warfleet and all their fighting troops have just disappeared.    They've risked their fleet, all their fighting strength, for no reason. They've left Oldtown, the Arbor, Highgarden, Starfall, SunSpear, the entirety of Dorne and the Reach undefended, whilst mad Cersei has taken the throne. They could have just arranged to meet up with Dany at a coffee shop in Dorne - or Pentos, at a stretch. 

Wonder what the reason for that is?

5 hours ago, Rory Snow said:

There were actually quite a few sails with sigils of the Tyrells and the Martells of Dorne. Completely missed it the 1st time thru, but watched it again and looked for the different sails and they were all over the place

As an aside... was thi the first time Dany met Varys? If memory serves, he showed up after she got taken by the Dothraki and left for Dorne before she returned. Which means Varys sailing in to Slavers Bay with ships from Westeros would have been their 1st meeting.

Yeah, we never got to see Dany and Varys meet, or like, establish any relationship at all. She knows who he is and that Jorah spied on her for him, and she probably knows he was involved in the poisoning plot in Season 1, so it seems like seeing their meeting would have been, you know, critical. Like sure Tyrion can vouch for Varys but Tyrion doesn't control Dany and considering all the Feelings there and stuff they'd need to work through it's bothersome that it happened off screen and all we get now is that not only are they fine but he's among her most trusted. 

2 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

Twin Varys crackpot theory? Anyone?

Oh gosh, lol! 

7 hours ago, Millimidget said:

My guess is that the script changed at some point. No one bothered to take him out of the scene of the armada at sea.

It will be funny IF when Dany reaches Dorn next season and we see Varys on the shore waiting for her along with others lmao

10 hours ago, TwiceBorn said:

Twin Varys crackpot theory? Anyone?

Okay, I'll bite!  But my crackpot isn't so much about twin Varys' as it is that one of them is a Faceless Man.  His two appearances so far apart in episode 6x10 aren't very credible, so one of them must be fake and up to no good.

12 hours ago, White Ravens said:

Okay, I'll bite!  But my crackpot isn't so much about twin Varys' as it is that one of them is a Faceless Man.  His two appearances so far apart in episode 6x10 aren't very credible, so one of them must be fake and up to no good.

Yes. I like this!

On 27/06/2016 at 11:47 PM, Nugget1229 said:

Wildfire can not be extinguished; it needs to burn itself out and it had plenty of fuel.

That is logical, yes, but so is the fact that if its still burning about, it should be burning the city down as the city is full of wildfire stashes from the Mad King's time.

On June 28, 2016 at 0:41 AM, ShamblerBob said:

I'd guess it would take about 3 months sailing to get to Meereen, let's say it takes the same to return to Westeros. 

Columbus took two months to get from Europe to America.  Are we sure that Meereen is half again that distance?  How far is it anyway?

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2016 at 8:26 AM, Cragen said:

People complain about Dany staying in Meeren for two season and now when she is finally going to Westeros it's suddenly to soon. What you want another three episode of preparations?

They should explain time pass, they needed 15 secunds to do so. For me it was clear that she is near Westeros and that time is pass, when I saw Martell and Tyrell ships, but I agree that is bit confusing.

i took it that they were conquered ships refitted with Tyrell and Martell sails.not that they were ships from those families that left Westeros, only to turn around and travel back. Varys on his own could travel quicker alone,even though i think they portrayed it terribly and agree with how it looked awful on the show. but having half or third of a naval fleet travel all that distance only to come back is dumb, and i never looked at it that way in the show, they even had the comment about the 'sails almost being ready', i don't think it was just dragons being painted on the sails, all the families would be represented, especially as they land back in Westeros, the sigils would be very important that the incoming fleet includes the family from that area.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 2:41 AM, ser naes yennet said:

i took it that they were conquered ships refitted with Tyrell and Martell sails.not that they were ships from those families that left Westeros, only to turn around and travel back. Varys on his own could travel quicker alone,even though i think they portrayed it terribly and agree with how it looked awful on the show. but having half or third of a naval fleet travel all that distance only to come back is dumb, and i never looked at it that way in the show, they even had the comment about the 'sails almost being ready', i don't think it was just dragons being painted on the sails, all the families would be represented, especially as they land back in Westeros, the sigils would be very important that the incoming fleet includes the family from that area.

Why would it be dumb? They had to go there to pick up the Dothraki, Horses, and supplies

On 2.7.2016 at 10:09 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

Columbus took two months to get from Europe to America.  Are we sure that Meereen is half again that distance?  How far is it anyway?

yes but not with a war fleet of hundreds of ships. I can drive with my car 500 miles (~800km) in one day. A full equiped tank squadron just can't. 

Tyrion tells Dany their ships can carry what they need. I can´t see a single reason to believe the Dornish/Reach ships went further than Volantis. Meeting up somewhere to sail in strenght makes sense, but wasting time and resources going all the way to Mereen doesn´t make a lot of sense in my opinion.

It actually quite pissed me off that we never got a scene of Varys and Dany meeting, you think that shit would be a pretty big moment. Seeing as Varys has been orchestrating her ascension to the throne since the beginning. (In the TV Show anyways)

Archived