Lyanna Mormont

Do you think that the North still would have elected FJon king had they known that Rhaegar was playing the rôle of Bael the Bard by stealing the Lord of Winterfell’s daughter?

My guess is that yes, they would, especially the Mormonts.  That Lady Mormont is herself the namesake of that daughter is no accident, nor is an accident that House’s historical support for inheritance through the female line (as has historically been observed in Scotland, England, Spain, and Portugal, but not in the Germanic nations where Salic Law applied).

It is clear that the Mormonts at least hold in high regard the guaranteed certainty of lineal descent through the female line.  Lyanna Mormont doesn’t care whether FJon is a bastard or true born; it makes no difference to her either way.

There is an historical accuracy here, too, when it comes to depicting the ancient traditions of the North.  The son of one’s sister, one’s sister-son, was always special to the Northern peoples.  Tolkien called the sister-son “a relationship keenly felt”, something seen again and again in his writings.  

Martin clearly picked up on this cultural value when he made Ned’s relationship with his sister-son FJon such a special one. The North remembers.

1 hour ago, Hangover of the Morning said:

Super confident kids who make snide remarks and scold adults tend to be really jarring, particularly in a warrior society but Lyanna Mormont nailed every one of her scenes. She's absolutely believable in her delivery and mildly terrifying. I love how she only speaks when she has something meaningful to say rather than talking for the sake of talking. The Sand Snakes could take lessons from her. 

I hope she'll be back next season (and that puberty won't hit her too hard just yet), though I'll advice that D&D use her sparingly despite her popularity as getting overexposed to her could have an opposite effect. 

I want her and Olenna to meet. I'll pay good money for that verbal match. 

This ^^^^^. It is what makes her lines so powerful. She only says something when that something is important and needs to be said. Her expression with Ramsey was all that was needed, so she said nothing. I am enjoying this Character very much.

14 hours ago, tormond said:

It's her jon should marry, not the dragon queen. I think the dragon queen might die and Westeros might go back to what it used to be before the Targaryens

I'm wondering if Lyanna and her advisors cooked up this scheme before she left Bear Island - if Jon & co. defeat the Bolton forces, rally the Northern Lords to name Jon the King with an eye towards a future marriage with Lyanna herself.  

Even if none of the Northerners have yet thought about Lyanna's future consort, I'm all for her marrying Jon.  Though she might be too much for him.  And I'm not sure how well she'd get along with Arya (they'll either become BFFs or want to kill each other), let alone Sansa (who I think might like and respect Lyanna unless Sansa gives into petty resentment of Jon being head Cheese in Winterfell now)...

Bella Ramsey is perfectly cast as Lyanna Mormont.  They give her good lines and she gives standout delivery. Currently, on her IMDB page is one picture, of her as Lyanna, and her bio is one sentence long.  I expect this young actress will have many more roles to list in her future. 

48 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I'm wondering if Lyanna and her advisors cooked up this scheme before she left Bear Island - if Jon & co. defeat the Bolton forces, rally the Northern Lords to name Jon the King with an eye towards a future marriage with Lyanna herself.  

Even if none of the Northerners have yet thought about Lyanna's future consort, I'm all for her marrying Jon.  Though she might be too much for him.  And I'm not sure how well she'd get along with Arya (they'll either become BFFs or want to kill each other), let alone Sansa (who I think might like and respect Lyanna unless Sansa gives into petty resentment of Jon being head Cheese in Winterfell now)...

She's great for Jon. everyone is expecting Jon and Dany, but i hope not. Dany is his aunt. Jon needs a young wife reserved for him someone who has taken no man before him. Drogo and Dario and who else?, Dany is just more evolved, more OPEN in terms of relationships, she seems like one who could take many lovers. He's a  a reserved guy, he needs someone like Lyanna.

14 hours ago, Ravness said:

Gotta hand it to the writers. They must've taken note of people complaining about the North not remembering and had the new fan-favorite deliver the message to remind the other Northern lords. 

Yes, because they wait until the Tuesday after an episode has aired (in order to completely take in the fans' opinons) and then film the following week's episode, to be aired that Sunday. Makes total sense...

/sarcasm

Best exchange of the season. Sansa: You were named after my aunt, Lyanna, who was a great beauty. I see you're well on your way to becoming a great beauty yourself. LM: I doubt it. My mother wasn't a great beauty. Or any other kind of beauty. Enough of the small talk. What do you want?

35 minutes ago, ImNoSer said:

an idiot that destroyed all her enemies in one swoop and takes the iron throne? shes far from stupid. She isnt as smart as littlefinger or varys, sure.. I dont think she intends to last very long anyway, shes got no heirs and probably knows she wont have anymore.

I think her death in season 7 will be the biggest death we have seen yet, so you cant say thats not an amazing character in this story. I used to not care much for the actor that portrays her, but I changed my mind on that at the end in season 5 after the walk of shame. I think she became alot more interesting after that.

She created the Faith Militant and was humiliated by the High Sparrow because of it.

No one respects her. She may be Queen of the Andals the Grumpkins and the Snarks but as we saw before there were plenty of Kings that no one respected or feared (Joffrey Tommen).

Do you think Ollenna Littlefinger Dorne the Greyjoys are afraid of Cersei? ahaha HA HaHAHaHAHaH :rofl:

Everything Cersei does allways comes back to bite her in the ass. It allways has been that way. 1 step forward 3 steps back.

12 hours ago, Kytheros said:

Um ... no. Lyanna in both books and show, apparently, is 10. In the books, Jon's about 15-16 at the end of Dance. The show aged most characters up by about five years, but apparently forgot to age up Lyanna Mormont accordingly. So ShowJon is presently around 20, and ShowLyanna was said to be a girl of 10 when she sent her letter to Stannis. I suppose a girl of 15 doesn't have quite the same impact. As such ... that's just way too big an age gap on the show, and she's just too young.

Respect for and faith in Jon, sure, she clearly has plenty of that. But I don't think we're going to see Lyanna Mormont expressing a romantic interest in Jon on the show (or in the books). At most, she might have a bit of a pre-teen crush on him.

Oooh, I just thought of something else I'd like to see happen - Lyanna Mormont meeting Dany.

Her fate is with the bear-lover.

5 hours ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Yes, because they wait until the Tuesday after an episode has aired (in order to completely take in the fans' opinons) and then film the following week's episode, to be aired that Sunday. Makes total sense...

/sarcasm

Haven't people been complaining about the North not remembering since last season? It's possible they knew she'd become a fan favorite. I mean it certainly worked for me. The moment she got up I was just waiting for her to lay the smackdown.

21 hours ago, Tonberry said:

Not a terribly believable character (age--look how the lords treated young Robb), but if you can suspend your disbelief, she's fantastic. Great acting. Inspiring stuff. They even managed to write her some good lines!

Well....Joffrey was also a little bastard with an attitude at that age.

2 hours ago, Minuteman said:

Best exchange of the season. Sansa: You were named after my aunt, Lyanna, who was a great beauty. I see you're well on your way to becoming a great beauty yourself. LM: I doubt it. My mother wasn't a great beauty. Or any other kind of beauty. Enough of the small talk. What do you want?

That conversation shows why there is an apparent disconnect between the Northern Lords/former and current Stark bannermen and Sansa.  It's not just because she's female and the widow of Ramsay Bolton.  Sansa doesn't really know how to talk to the rough, tough, Northern aristocracy in terms they can understand.  The Northern lords respect personal strength and integrity, and the ability to fight and protect their own people as well as honor their commitments to their liege-lords.  Sansa was raised with dreams of Southern courtly love and tournaments and glamor.  In praising little Lyanna's beauty, Sansa spoke to Lyanna as she might have spoken to a younger sister of Margaery Tyrell.  But this kid is not a softly raised Southern flower (even one with steel under the petals like Margaery); she's a Northern child who is only the ruler of Bear Island because her mother died fighting for Sansa's brother - which Sansa doesn't see fit to mention, for some reason; evidently thinking Lady L. would be more impressed by flattery and a comparison to the late and possibly unlamented (outside of House Stark) Lyanna Stark.  

Sansa should have greeted Lyanna Mormont by speaking of the connection between the child's mother and Sansa's brother, and how Sansa wants to honor it by defeating the Boltons and taking Winterfell and assuring that none of the Houses loyal to the Starks will ever suffer again for that allegiance.  Or something other than 'You're going to be as pretty as my late aunt Lyanna'.  

Sansa seems to be at least trying to rediscover her Northern roots.  It's interesting that Littlefinger found her sitting under the heart tree (wasn't it the same one where Ned sat to polish Ice in the first season).  But she has a ways to go.  I'm not even sure that Sansa will ultimately find her destiny in the North, or make a better life for herself in the South; that is, if she survives.  I would like to see another scene where Sansa addresses Lyanna Mormont, this time with a language of mutual respect from one daughter of the North to another.  Not sure we'll get it, though...

Archived