His name is.. (spoilers)

2 hours ago, MtnLion said:

So, this explains why Ned's memory of the Kingsguard is so much clearer than the memory of his best friends, who had vowed to himself to never forget?  Why Ned said that the Kingsguard were a wonder, a shining example to the world, and that Arthur was best among them?  It is really clear if you read this.

Yeah. Them being at the tower hints that they were protecting someone. And maybe Lyanna was too ill to be moved. But that seems like a long time to stay in such an isolated place. Maybe they figured Varys birds could find out they were at Starfall so it was best to stay isolated. It just seems like an odd place to protect a king. But you were very thorough in your breakdown. Brings back great memories. Would love to read the ToJ story in full written by Martin. Perhaps we will get it in a vision by Bran in Winds. So even outnumbered, you think the KG would dispatch Ned's crew. So, just your opinion, what do you think happened that helped the 7 beat the 3?  Were they just that good?

5 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Yeah. Them being at the tower hints that they were protecting someone. And maybe Lyanna was too ill to be moved. But that seems like a long time to stay in such an isolated place. Maybe they figured Varys birds could find out they were at Starfall so it was best to stay isolated. It just seems like an odd place to protect a king. But you were very thorough in your breakdown. Brings back great memories. Would love to read the ToJ story in full written by Martin. Perhaps we will get it in a vision by Bran in Winds. So even outnumbered, you think the KG would dispatch Ned's crew. So, just your opinion, what do you think happened that helped the 7 beat the 3?  Were they just that good?

Completely unsubstantiated, but I always imagined Howland to fight with a spear and net, or use some of the typical tricks of Crannogmen, i.e. tainted darts. Whichever it was, my gut tells me Reed was the spoke around which all that turned. 

12 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Completely unsubstantiated, but I always imagined Howland to fight with a spear and net, or use some of the typical tricks of Crannogmen, i.e. tainted darts. Whichever it was, my gut tells me Reed was the spoke around which all that turned. 

I could definitely see it playing out similar to the show except for Howland stabbing Dayne in the throat, he stabs him in the calf or something. Giving Ned the opening to finish Dayne. I really think there was some foreshadowing going on with Ned killing Dayne with Dawn and standing it at the foot of the bed so the camera could focus on it. Time to go rewatch my favorite scenes from this season. The ToJ was definitely one of em.  The guy that played Dayne was a true badass. 

On 27/06/2016 at 6:46 AM, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

Actually, watching it back, it looks more like "Aerys". Look at her lips. No "m" no "g"

I agree, after rewatching it several times now, it looks like she says Aerys. I still find it hard to accept though. If that is what she said then I'm guessing it would be Rhaegar's choice, but even that is surprising.

Honestly watched this and read her lips with the name as starting with a J followed by an A sound and longer than Jon and concluded it was Jaehaerys, then showed it to my deaf aunt and she concurred. So going with Jaehaerys for now.

If your interested in the theory checkout my post early this morning in the comments for the review at IGN under madgaurd1989: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/27/game-of-thrones-the-winds-of-winter-review?lf-content=531644328

Later today sparkledavisjr consolidated the evidence for the theory on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/4q9u0v/everything_his_name_is_the_true_meaning_of_j/

On June 26, 2016 at 11:44 PM, deej said:

I vote Aejon and Ned just shortened it to Jon

In the books, "Jon" was named after Jon Arryn, as Ned Stark was his ward and he loved and respected him.

On June 26, 2016 at 11:52 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

But Rhaegar already had a son named Aegon. The second son is traditionally named Aemon.

No reason why his son with another woman couldn't also be named "Aegon". In Greek families, it's traditional to name the first born male child for the paternal grandfather.  In the case of the man taking another wife for whatever reason, I'm sure there are instances where the first male child from the second marriage has the same name as the first male child from the first marriage. 

On June 26, 2016 at 11:55 PM, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

The way her mouth moves points more to Aerys, in my opinion. I think I can hear a little bit of the 'S' at the end of the name just as it cuts to Bran's face.

Naming the son after the mad king doesn't seem plausible.

On June 26, 2016 at 11:55 PM, StoneyTargaryen said:

True.. but definitely wouldn't name him Aegon if she knew what befell the last one, right?

Talissa Stark wouldn't name her unborn child "Eddard" if she knew what happened to the last one, right? 

On June 26, 2016 at 11:56 PM, JEORDHl said:

Lyanna wouldn't name her son after the Mad King that torched her father and eldest brother though. Just no way.

Yup.

On June 26, 2016 at 11:59 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

It’s utterly Jon: look at the identical brown eyes.

But that wasn’t going to be the name Rhaegar and Lyanna would have named him had they lived.

The point of doing this is to leave the Targaryen name hidden.  Ned then renamed the boy to protect him from Robert, per his promise.

Yup. Anyone arguing that the baby in that scene isn't Jon Snow doesn't know what they are talking about. also, they need to learn braille.

On June 27, 2016 at 0:31 AM, yakisikli123 said:

No Aerys or Aemon, but could be Aegon or Aejon

third character should be anything with mouth open

fourth character an o

"Aejon" is a silly made up name that originated on these boards.  I'll be money it isn't "Aejon".

I am sure that she says "The fathers name is..." I think everyone is trying to hard to be expert lip readers here. People are wanting to find something there that isn't there. All the mouth movements are right in there too and it is way more likely that's where the conversation was going.

On 6/27/2016 at 0:04 AM, StoneyTargaryen said:

So this is what I heard/saw in the whisper at the Tower of Joy: 

“his name is” and "Robert will kill him if he finds out, you know he will, you have to protect him" 

I think she revealed the baby to be a legitimate royal child by calling him [insert opinions here] Targaryen.

Thoughts?

I believe that i heard and/or lip read : 'His name is Aegon'.

Ned changed that to a sort of similar 'Jon'.

As I wrote in another thread, Aegon and Jon could be the same name in different languages.

Or Jon (Gon) is close enough.  And not the more typical 'Aeg' or 'Eeg' that we have seen.

Edit : Just read some posts above.  Ned's provided reason for naming 'his bastard son' Jon after Jon Arryn could be a very plausible 'white lie'.  Nicely convenient for Ned, just like stating that Wylla is Jon's alleged mother.  IIRC, isn't Wylla in the room with Ned and Lyanna?  And helped deliver Jon?  was she the one who handed Jon to Ned?

3 hours ago, Thror Baratheon said:

As I wrote in another thread, Aegon and Jon could be the same name in different languages.

Or Jon (Gon) is close enough.  And not the more typical 'Aeg' or 'Eeg' that we have seen.

Edit : Just read some posts above.  Ned's provided reason for naming 'his bastard son' Jon after Jon Arryn could be a very plausible 'white lie'.  Nicely convenient for Ned, just like stating that Wylla is Jon's alleged mother.  IIRC, isn't Wylla in the room with Ned and Lyanna?  And helped deliver Jon?  was she the one who handed Jon to Ned?

rhaegar already had a son named aegon out of his lawful wife princess elia of dorne. and rhaegar died before the death of his firstborn baby aegon. so you mean lyanna heard that baby aegon's head was smashed then she just said: oh yeah, that unimportant baby finally died and my son should take his place and name and everything! let me name it as aegon! he shall be next king! 

i have not seen targ used the name of a dead baby again for his or her immediate siblings. remember how many dead babies before and after rhaegar from rhaella? did they pick up name like jaeharys or daeron for rhaegar or viserys? it is a matter of respect for a living person, for a life. even a still born baby should have a name, please. for example, visenya still born daughter of rhaenyra, etc. 

i can not believe jon has a targ name as aegon. this is unreasonable. 

and yeah, you heard wrongly. it is not aegon. 

3 hours ago, Thror Baratheon said:

by the way, so far there is no hint that aegon and jon are the same name in different languages. grrm just liked "on". 

there are tyrion, marillion, drogon, darmon, etc. 

It's a difficult guess because the name part was the one with the worse sound of the entire conversation but I heard something ended in aerys. But Aerys would be a bad name and I think there's a prefix before aerys. This leaves Jaehaerys or Jacaerys as the two best options and both would have make sense because Jaehaerys was Rhaegar's grandfather and the first Targaryen thinking about the Profecy of the Prince that was Promised plus is a name associated with good kings. On the other hand Jacaerys was the first name of Jacaerys Velaryon son of Rhaenyra Targaryen that during the Dance of the Dragons made the pact of ice and fire with House Stark, Jon's current house. 

Archived