The Flying Leap

So, why do you think Tommen did it?

For me, it was a sacrifice rather than a suicide.

Albeit, one for pure spite.

Tommen would be a slave to his mother for the rest of his life so the only way to spite her victory was to kill himself.

It wasn't an act of despair but defiance.

Despair. The boy has been torn in different directions his entire life. His father neglected him, his brother bullied him, and his mother is who she is. He never found a sense of self and was little more than a crowned pawn to virtually everyone. He wasn't the strongest person, but he wasn't a bad kid at all. Had be been surrounded by better people he likely would've turned out alright.

33 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

The two aren't necessarily unrelateed.

He had to destroy his mother somehow.

I don't think tommen got that far in his thinking about the situation of  the realm because of his mother's actions. And if he did think that, surely his death would just make her even crazier that she is already. His death didn't stop his mother, just gave her direct power.

I do believe that was pure desperation to see his wife,  whom he loved, killed by his mother. See the alliances he was starting to built been destroy. And that was just the trigger. As was said, he suffer he whole life. A boy to soft to be king in this time.

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Despair. The boy has been torn in different directions his entire life. His father neglected him, his brother bullied him, and his mother is who she is. He never found a sense of self and was little more than a crowned pawn to virtually everyone. He wasn't the strongest person, but he wasn't a bad kid at all. Had be been surrounded by better people he likely would've turned out alright.

This. Its how I see it too.

2 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Tommen would be a slave to his mother for the rest of his life so the only way to spite her victory was to kill himself.

He was trying to raise Dragons from beneath The Red Keep. It is known

The only thing he had left in life was his mother, who had just taken the two things he loved from him, and at the same time shown herself as a monster.

He knew she was not a "good" person, but this last act left him no doubt she was truly evil to the core.

It is also remotely possible that he thought that Cersei might have been in the Sept of Baelor when it got blown up too. That certainly wouldn't've helped matters any. Unlikely, admittedly, especially with the Franken-Mountain keeping him in his rooms.

7 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I think it was both. He loved Margery, and while I'm not 100% sure he was really sold on The Faith, he did just watch pretty much everything he cared about, everything he'd built blow up in his face. And he knew his mother did it and that he had absolutely no control. So spite and despair all at once, really. 

5 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

It was the funniest scene in the hole season. I couldn't stop laughing. He even took off the crown before he jumped. Hillarious.:rofl:

This.  I was laughing like an idiot. Seriously, the way it was filmed and acted wasn't done in a fashion that you could see any emotion or feel pity and remorse for this character. It's just:  Here's a window.  Here's the king flying out the window.  The only way they could have made it funnier is if they had him do a flip or scream "CANNONBALL!!!!!"

Archived