Daenerys power

blckp

2 hours ago, Vuron said:

I'm not sure how this is going to play out.  I've changed my mind a dozen times over the years with regards to the "conquest".  As of now, it looks like Dany could get to Westeros and not even have anyone to fight.  She'll march in to Westeros and only the Lannisters would oppose her.  I don't think the North would even have a huge issue bending to knee to a well liked and fair ruler.

I think the biggest issue comes when the battle is over.  What happens to a huge hoard of Dothraki stranded in Westeros?  They follow Dany now, but what happens when there is nobody left to fight or when Dany dies.  I don't see them being domesticated and they could easily become the next "big bad". 

As far as the books go, a good military commander from Westeros could put a hurt on her attack plans. Dothraki can't deal with castles, keeps, and strong holds.  They don't lay siege and are only an elite fighting force in the open fighting face to face.  There aren't a huge number of Unsullied to make up the difference.  The dragons would be the real wildcard, but even dragons can be killed by archers (examples in the World of Ice and Fire).

You are forgetting about the strongest Military in the world, the others. I can not see any military force in the world no matter how well trained withstanding an others charge. The only wild card is the 3 dragons. However the others most likely will have an icedragon

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2016 at 0:58 AM, D-Shiznit said:

Dany probably has the most powerful military in the history of Westeros. She has the nuclear triad down, air, land and water.

Land

- Dothraki: the most feared cavalry in the world

- Unsullied: the best trained infantry in the world

Navy

- Iron Fleet: the most seasoned navy in the world

Air

- 3 Dragons, enuff said.

1) The dothraki are an adequate calvary at best. They have no sense of tactics or real experience fighting people who will fight to the death. Furthermore their horses are their strength and will become their weakness as calvary usage is good for open plains combat, but what happens when they reach the Neck and the crannogmen do not give them open warfare? Then the logistics of supplying such a large force will be a nightmare.

The Unsullied, I will agree the finest infantry that has been introduced in the series. Unfortunately there are not that many of them in Dany's army.

2) She only has 100 ships from the Iron Fleet, with people experienced in Naval combat. Her "navy" will be no threat to anyone.

3) Yes she has Dragons. However, they are not near the size of the dragons Aegon the Conqueror had. The shock value of dragons will affect soldiers psychologically. Now, any good commander will notice how they are deployed and note their weaknesses. Their fire has a limited range and they cannot turn on a dime. What this means is as a weapon they are fearsome, but limited. 

At a glance Dany has the most powerful military force assembled. Once you take in all the factors and realize that not all the leaders in Westeros are idiots her military becomes less daunting. She will have early success, but not sustainable success. That is even if by some miracle there are no casualties on the voyage due to sickness or fist fights gone wrong, and they all make it to the right spot.

On top of all of that, she has House Tyrell and House Martel. The show has told us that House Tyrell and House Lannister are at about even in strength, hence their rivalry and competition for power/resources. House Tyrell doesn't know that it's actually in better financial position than House Lannister, but Tywin confided that to Cersei. The Tyrells also have excellent relations with the Iron Bank and thus, even more unlimited resources. Add to that, House Martel, and that throws the odds in favor or the Dany/Tyrells/Martels. The alliance of House Lannister and House Frey seem like an alliance of dying houses with dwindling resources who are increasingly hated by everyone in comparison. Now add to that Dany's tens of thousands (maybe even 100,000) of Dothraki and the Lannister/Freys need excellent defensive positioning and a wild card like assassination, sickness, or aid from another house or 2, to even have a chance of winning. Add to that thousands of Unsullied that Dany has and the Lannisters/Freys probably have no real choice but to surrender early and try to get something good/acceptable out of a peace treaty or risk losing everything. Add to that the thousands of Second Sons that Dany has and this is getting ridiculous, The Lannisters/Freys have almost no negotiating strength at this point. Add to that the 1/3rd?/1/4th of Iron Born that Dany has and King's Landing and the Lannister/Freys are more of sitting ducks than a capable fighting force. Add to that the 3 Dragons that Dany has and that's all that she ever really needed but she has soooooo much more than that now. The Lannister/Frey alliance is little more than Nazi Germany during its very last days at this point. They are surrounded by two forces (Dany and the Northern Alliance) that grossly outnumber them and their ruler seems to be going slowly off her rocker. Whatever success they have is sure to be temporary, even with Euron's help. The best they can probably mount together is a suicidal/Battle of the Bulge type attack that may be briefly successful but inevitably obliterated. 

This all still has the potential for plenty of drama but these fighting forces are not close to even in my opinion.    

Also, I think Jon has no interest in ruling Westeros after all he has been through and after seeing what power does to family (he may yet have a battle against Sansa/Littlefinger) and will support Dany's claim to the Iron Throne once he finds out his parentage. So thus, I think Season 7 is basically the end of the Lannisters/Freys/Euron (Hitler in the bunker waiting for the inevitable) and Season 8 will be dedicated almost exclusivity to Dany/Jon vs The White Walkers and the wrapping up of smaller character plot points like Arya, the Hound, Jorah, whatever is going on with Bran.

12 hours ago, RedViperHD said:

Also, I think Jon has no interest in ruling Westeros after all he has been through and after seeing what power does to family (he may yet have a battle against Sansa/Littlefinger) and will support Dany's claim to the Iron Throne once he finds out his parentage. So thus, I think Season 7 is basically the end of the Lannisters/Freys/Euron (Hitler in the bunker waiting for the inevitable) and Season 8 will be dedicated almost exclusivity to Dany/Jon vs The White Walkers and the wrapping up of smaller character plot points like Arya, the Hound, Jorah, whatever is going on with Bran.

I agree with this. Jon has a more immediate concern with the inevitable invasion of the Others. I doubt he will be concerned with anything south of the Neck.

On 27 June 2016 at 8:58 AM, D-Shiznit said:

Dany probably has the most powerful military in the history of Westeros. She has the nuclear triad down, air, land and water.

Land

- Dothraki: the most feared cavalry in the world

- Unsullied: the best trained infantry in the world

Navy

- Iron Fleet: the most seasoned navy in the world

Air

- 3 Dragons, enuff said.

Not sure about that mate, last season left us with a big question: What happened to Ramsey's 20 good men? If they are still around and about, she's pretty much fucked and that's a failed invasion right there.

Archived