Aejon Targaryen???

So I just talked about the finale with my brother who has not read the books. 

It seems that he was, until our discussion, in what is, I assume, a minority of people who still didn't figure it out that Jon is not Ned's son. This was because he assumed Lyanna was a Targaryen, not a Stark. So in a way he realized that Jon is half-Targ, but did it completely the wrong way. :lmao:Then of course he threw at me the predictable, "well if Jaime and Cersei could do it, why not Ned and his sister?" smh

18 minutes ago, Thror Baratheon said:

Aegon Rhegarson Stark Targaryen, First of His Name?   :D

Sorry, Cron.... tis AeGon ... AeJon is just .... different pronounciation, at best   ;)

Good stuff, but I was just kidding around about the "Rhaegarson" thing.

12 hours ago, Zehde said:

Could also just be Aeon.

Has the "ae", has the "on" and has the jon-like sound in it.

Plus is in no name-giving troble compared to "Aemon" or "Aegon".

So I go with Aeon.

That's interesting, and I think it would work well, too.

On June 27, 2016 at 1:09 AM, Cron said:

I'm seeing a lot of comments about what Lyanna whispered.

Among other things she said, consensus seems to be that she said Jon's real full name, and the first syllable is "A."

Some people are speculating it's Aegon or Aemon, but I say "Aejon."

Aejon Targaryen.

Your thoughts?

No, Ned clearly named him after Jon Arryn.

7 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

No, Ned clearly named him after Jon Arryn.

Maybe.

Or maybe that was something Ned just told people as a very convenient cover.

Does anyone recall if the issue is directly addressed by Ned in one of his own POV chapters in AGOT?

Personally I'm not interested in going through a frame-by-frame analysis of the scene because it will only drive me crazy, so I'm just going with whatever you guys suggest here and elsewhere. :) 

I'm not convinced by 'Aejon' but not saying it's outright stupid either... However, I like the idea behind it. I like the fact that Jon wouldn't just have a well-used Targaryen name handed to him, such as Aemon or Jaehaerys, but instead, a combination of his heritage. Maybe he would have one Targaryen first name and one Stark first name like someone suggested, or maybe it's a mixture of both. I like to think that Lyanna had some say in the matter either way. Be it as it may, the first name doesn't matter as much as his family name. As long as his name is Targaryen, I wouldn't mind if they named him Greg. Well, ok, maybe I would...

//edit. I bet my life that D&D just want to mess with us as much as they can when it comes to this particular issue. I'm sure they just told Lyanna's actress to start with some random sound and then just move her lips randomly. Maybe they included an 'A' or a 'J' sound just to screw with us or maybe we just think that way (either way, they ae screwing with us).

24 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

A reddit user swears she says Jaehaerys. I've watched it over & over & I don't see Aemon or Jaehaerys. It looks like it starts with a J or maybe a D & ends in an R sound to me. 

Maybe we aren't meant to hear exactly what was said to drag out this reveal again next season? Maybe she whispered "brbrbrbrbrbr Robert... brbrbrbrbrb" as we aren't meant to hear it. Pouring over every syllable in a weird digital lip reading is kind of silly. 

4 hours ago, Aderyn said:

Personally I'm not interested in going through a frame-by-frame analysis of the scene because it will only drive me crazy, so I'm just going with whatever you guys suggest here and elsewhere. :) 

I'm not convinced by 'Aejon' but not saying it's outright stupid either... However, I like the idea behind it. I like the fact that Jon wouldn't just have a well-used Targaryen name handed to him, such as Aemon or Jaehaerys, but instead, a combination of his heritage. Maybe he would have one Targaryen first name and one Stark first name like someone suggested, or maybe it's a mixture of both. I like to think that Lyanna had some say in the matter either way. Be it as it may, the first name doesn't matter as much as his family name. As long as his name is Targaryen, I wouldn't mind if they named him Greg. Well, ok, maybe I would...

//edit. I bet my life that D&D just want to mess with us as much as they can when it comes to this particular issue. I'm sure they just told Lyanna's actress to start with some random sound and then just move her lips randomly. Maybe they included an 'A' or a 'J' sound just to screw with us or maybe we just think that way (either way, they ae screwing with us).

Yeah, that possibility occurred to me, too, that the actress did not say the actual name, and does not even know the name.

They did something similar in Empire Strikes Back, when Vader told Luke he was his father.  When the scene was filmed, the actor playing Vader (David Prowse) spoke different lines than what we heard in the movie theater, then James Earl Jones did the voice over with the REAL lines, which were Vader telling Luke that Vader was his father.

I really hope that Jon doesn't take the name Targaryen. I'll accept Jon Snow/Stark and that's it. Any other name would be out of place with him.

As for Aejon, Hate it. It is not an established name in ASOIAF and so it will never be acceptable with me.

18 minutes ago, Lord Lyman said:

I really hope that Jon doesn't take the name Targaryen. I'll accept Jon Snow/Stark and that's it. Any other name would be out of place with him.

As for Aejon, Hate it. It is not an established name in ASOIAF and so it will never be acceptable with me.

Agreed.  Aejon just sounds goofy.  Like, "Aye Jon? How's it hangin'?"  Maybe I'm dating myself, but every time I read it I think of the Fonz. 

Personally I think it will be a name were familiar with, particularly since both the Targs and the Starks have a handful of names that they really seem to love.  

4 hours ago, Lord Lyman said:

Which is why it's AEGON, not AEJON. 

1 hour ago, Lord Lyman said:

So Rhaegar had two sons named Aegon?

Maybe the importance was that a son of Rhaegar, who is the promised prince, would be named Aegon.  My understanding is that Jon was born after the older brother Aegon was killed, so the name was given to the new son. 

Maybe. 

Personally I think it's either Aemon or Jaherys 

Archived