Arya and Edmure

On 6/28/2016 at 11:04 PM, Sigrid said:

On the topic of Edmure, I don't think that we're going to be seeing any more of him.  I don't even think we'll be in the Riverlands anymore after this.

Arya has never even met Edmure that we can see in the show, and I don't think that helping him set up a Tully Administration is really on her to-do list.

Beyond that, it's my understanding that the actor is a regular on another series, and I really don't see him coming back for more episodes.  With the show runners trimming so much fat, why would they suddenly have a plot line around Edmure?

What show is he regular on? Outlander? He is not going to be a regular there at least from 3rd season on

On June 27, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

Again, feeding human pies to someone is crazy behavior, even in the world of Westeros

You're forgetting a very important piece of this story, which is HBOs fault. They failed to clearly explain how serious the Frey's violation of hospitality and guest right was.  

This is one of the biggest no-nos in Westeros.  It's up there past kinslaying, past kingslaying, past incest, and probably more.  

When word of what he had done got around, people were horrified and implied that he'd doomed his house and that the gods themselves would punish him for it.  

In the world of Westeros...

Violating guest right > Freys baked in a pie

Besides, the sons baked in the pie are the same ones that slit Catelyn's throat, and killed Robb. 

They brought it on themselves.  

On 7/1/2016 at 2:44 PM, Lurid Jester said:

You're forgetting a very important piece of this story, which is HBOs fault. They failed to clearly explain how serious the Frey's violation of hospitality and guest right was.  

This is one of the biggest no-nos in Westeros.  It's up there past kinslaying, past kingslaying, past incest, and probably more.  

When word of what he had done got around, people were horrified and implied that he'd doomed his house and that the gods themselves would punish him for it.  

In the world of Westeros...

Violating guest right > Freys baked in a pie

Besides, the sons baked in the pie are the same ones that slit Catelyn's throat, and killed Robb. 

They brought it on themselves.  

Within the world, yeah, I doubt anyone will be mourning the Freys. I'm aware that they are shamed because they broke guest right. Hopefully we'll see that no one really cares that they're gone next season. If I recall, no one liked them before the RW, so they're definitely hated now.

But yeah, I guess they would see Arya's actions as a punishment from the gods.

I never said that the sons didn't deserve to die, just that Arya's method was out of character.

On June 27, 2016 at 7:29 AM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

It's not really that she wouldn't know how to do it, it's the fact that she wouldn't really have time. Plus there was a whole kitchen staff she had to get around.

And I love Arya, but chopping two men up, baking them into a pie, and feeding them to their father is psychopathic behavior. There is no other way to describe it. A normal assassin would have just slit their throats and moved on. What she did was extreme. There is no excuse for this.

It's actually kind of funny because I was just arguing with a Sansa lover about Arya NOT being a psychopath before this episode came out, but unfortunately the show seems to be taking her down that route.

It's cool that they made a reference to the Rat Cook, but it's extremely out of character for Arya to do something like this.

Yea the time it would have taken to kill 2 people, chop them up and bake them without anyone finding out is pretty unrealistic. It would have been better and more realistic if she put their heads in a crate sitting them on the table... I think the show is going over the top for the shock factor rather than trying to be more realistic with stuff that could actually happen... 

On July 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

Within the world, yeah, I doubt anyone will be mourning the Freys. I'm aware that they are shamed because they broke guest right. Hopefully we'll see that no one really cares that they're gone next season. If I recall, no one liked them before the RW, so they're definitely hated now.

But yeah, I guess they would see Arya's actions as a punishment from the gods.

I never said that the sons didn't deserve to die, just that Arya's method was out of character.

I think I got mixed up with another post I read that the people baked into the pie where his children, implying they were just young kids instead of grown me.  

Also, definitely out of character and they really just wanted to include the Frey pie into the show.  ShowArya doesn't come across like she'd do that.  

Kill them? Sure. 

On 6/27/2016 at 0:12 AM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

As you can probably guess, I'm not okay with the pie thing, it was too extreme for Arya. But that's off topic.

While I too question whether Arya would "really" do that, I certainly understand why she did it in the show.  Fan service.  The show is off book now, so they are going to include things that they know the book fans are looking forward to, even if they have to force them a bit.  I've seen numerous posts here since the Red Wedding mention how they hope to see Frey Pie in the show.  I'm very happy with the way they killed Walder (and although most are assuming it will be Jamie, I also hope they let Arya take Cersie out as well), and it only made sense that Frey Pie - if they were going to show it at all - would need to be part of this story line.  Because there is only 10 hours of show per year/book, they are forced to compress time and story lines so they get everything they want to in, and keep some semblance of logic.  I'm guessing over the remaining episodes we will see other fan favorite moments that may seem somewhat out of place/character when you are thinking "book", but will make a lot of book fans smile all the same.

Arya doesn't really have to actually feed Walder real Frey Pie. Simply having that thought as Walder died would have been just as effective. For all we know, she may have killed some Freys and only convinced Walder that she stuffed them into pies (without actually doing it) so that he would die with the nasty thought of having eaten Frey Pie.

On 6/27/2016 at 0:39 PM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

In the time she baked the pies, no one found the bodies? No one was in the kitchen?

Having Arya do this was out of character. She's not this crazy.

But yeah, Arya probably shouldn't know how to cook lol. I suppose she picked up a few things when she was hanging out with Sandor. Still probably wouldn't know how to bake, though.

On 6/27/2016 at 0:29 PM, Dracarys Stormborn said:

And I love Arya, but chopping two men up, baking them into a pie, and feeding them to their father is psychopathic behavior. There is no other way to describe it. A normal assassin would have just slit their throats and moved on. What she did was extreme. There is no excuse for this.

It's actually kind of funny because I was just arguing with a Sansa lover about Arya NOT being a psychopath before this episode came out, but unfortunately the show seems to be taking her down that route.

Its important to note that Arya simply chopped little pieces of the Frey's. She didn't chop the whole body up. she added the fingers in there for shock factor.

Arya's family was viciously murdered in cold blood, i can perfectly understand her reasoning behind giving a Walder Frey a taste of his own medicine, by killing his own family, and delivering the proof of the deed, right before letting him know that he is to now be executed by a Stark. 

I thought it was poetic justice. Not Psychopathic at all, she can now get on with avenging her family

The thing is if the plan next season was to have Ayra(and maybe the Hound/Brotherhood) fighting against the Frey's for most of next season then why did they have her kill all of the established Frey characters? I spose they could introduce another Frey but why not leave at least ones we already know that Ayra actually has a grudge with?

One thing they could do I spose is have Ayra deal with the Frey's quite quickly, release Edmure and maybe burn the Twins down providing some action early in the season.

Another alternative is that Ayra does nothing to help Edmure and this shows up the selfishness of her revenge focus. A supprise there could be that its actually the Lannisters that restore Edmure  on the condition he fights on their side against Dany as they realise the Frey's are too incompetent an don't command enough loyalty in the Riverlands?

Then have Ayra head to kings landing and the climax is her shifting from pure revenge against Cersei towards looking for some greater good, maybe stopping her from burning down the city.

1 hour ago, BazdorClegane said:

Its important to note that Arya simply chopped little pieces of the Frey's. She didn't chop the whole body up. she added the fingers in there for shock factor.

Arya's family was viciously murdered in cold blood, i can perfectly understand her reasoning behind giving a Walder Frey a taste of his own medicine, by killing his own family, and delivering the proof of the deed, right before letting him know that he is to now be executed by a Stark. 

I thought it was poetic justice. Not Psychopathic at all, she can now get on with avenging her family

Ayra clearly isn't a psychopath(unlike say Joffery and Ramsay), we see at many points in the story she does care about her family and others, perhaps in a somewhat selfish way at points but not at all unrealistic for someone her age.

What she is though is a deeply traumatised person who's seen both her parents and brother murdered plus has been put in near constant danger for years. That she uses a revenge focus as a coping mechanism isn't at all surprising.

This is surely how Ayra's story has always been sold? when she's baying for the Hound to be killed by Beric then leaving him to die, when she's stabbing Trant's eyes out, cutting off the Waif's face off and now feeding a father his sons and smiling as she slits his throat, these aren't events where were sposed to be cheering on an obviously "good" character there sposed to be showing her disturbed mental state even if the people she's killing often deserve it.

• 2 months later...

I think it would be neat if Arya released Edmure and burned the Twins to the ground. I do not see it happening though. She may relese Edmure and the two escape. She did just assassinate the crown appointed Lord Paramount of the Riverlands and his two eldest sons. Arya is not stupid so she is going to take off. I hope she heads north and links up with the Hound and the BWB or with Brienne. Or she may hear that Jon has retaken Winterfell and this is what causes her to go north and along the way she reconnects with Nymeria.

8 hours ago, Slaysman said:

I think it would be neat if Arya released Edmure and burned the Twins to the ground. I do not see it happening though. She may relese Edmure and the two escape. She did just assassinate the crown appointed Lord Paramount of the Riverlands and his two eldest sons. Arya is not stupid so she is going to take off. I hope she heads north and links up with the Hound and the BWB or with Brienne. Or she may hear that Jon has retaken Winterfell and this is what causes her to go north and along the way she reconnects with Nymeria.

Nope, I think everybody and their mother knows where Arya is heading. I think what they'll do is set it up like Arya is gonna be the one to take out Cersei but then they'll bring in the twist of it being Jaime that does the deed, probably after a scene of Cersei sitting on the Iron Throne yelling "Burn Them All" as Daenery's Dragons are breathing fire on the city and Jaime gets some Aerys flashbacks.

In the end I honestly believe Jaime should be the one to take Cersei out, we all know George loves history repeating itself and I believe 100% Jaime will be the one to take out Cersei in the books, I doubt they'll stray that far from George's character's book fates. It'll bring his character full circle, he'll once again save the city of KL from total destruction, except this time people will actually know what he did, or they may go full on tragic and he'll die saving the city and nobody will know, just like before. He has always been on the verge of becoming a full fledge hero but they always rope him back to Team Cersei. Killing Cersei will be his moment, before he either takes his own life or joins Daenerys. Whatever they wanna do there.

Archived