Still a bastard (spoilers)

1 hour ago, MtnLion said:

Well, there are two that I am pretty sure will be revealed as secret, later on.  The point I was making about Daenerys is that she cannot be considered to be above Jon on merit because of her self-perception.  Then we know the inheritance laws of Westeros favor the son of the son, before the son's brother (or sister), as well as the rigid no women will sit the Iron Throne and no female branches will be considered from the Dance. 

The common reaction is that Jon does not have any proof.  The contrariness is that he does not need to provide proof, merely make the claim, and it would be up to the council to prove otherwise.  More likely, someone will make the claim for him, as he is certainly not going to be interested. 

If Daenerys (and Tyrion) take actions using the dragons that are detrimental to the fight with the White Walkers, should Bran not ensure that they are neutralized?  We know that Bran has serious super powers.  We know that Arya and Jon are both extraordinary wargs, and Arya has been training with cats (the most difficult).  There is foreshadowing that one or all of the dragons die.  If one is really interested in what has been foreshadowed, take a good read on those threads.  Specifically, Daenerys will bow low to the hidden dragon, Jon.  She will suffer, because she initially resists. 

ETA:  I suggest that Bran takes action against the dragons, because the screenplay has not addressed Arya's and Jon's skinchanging abilities.  Bran's have been shown extensively, as well as a hint that Bran may be able to change history. 

I agree with most of this. 

I think Bran would choose to take over the dragons by warging them, rather than neutralize such an essential weapon. Bran knows the danger coming from the north. 

As far as the show goes, I'm not sure she'll actually resist Jon, due to her vision in the show version of theHotU.

The book however.... I do hope Jon and Arya's warging skills can help with endgame. 

Tyrion has stated repeatedly that dragons are intelligent, more so than men. They will do something that erases any doubt Dany has about Jon's hertitage. Who cares if his parents where married, if dragons choose him as the Rhegars heir, that's all that counts-ask Aegon.

1 hour ago, KingInTheBay said:

Tyrion has stated repeatedly that dragons are intelligent, more so than men. They will do something that erases any doubt Dany has about Jon's hertitage. Who cares if his parents where married, if dragons choose him as the Rhegars heir, that's all that counts-ask Aegon.

Exactly. That was the funny thing about the triple-marriage of Aegon and Visenya and Rhaenys: nobody could say anything against it and get anywhere, because they had dragons.

3 hours ago, princess_snow said:

I thought this too. Someone pointed out only ' we ' find out not Jon.

That's incorrect.  The exact quote:

Alaurian wrote:

GRRM,

First, let me just say that I love ASOIAF.  I am eagerly awaiting the next book, but I fill my time with, amongst other things, re-reading each one so I pretty well have them memorized.

I have a million questions, but the one that I really am most wanting to know is .... will Jon ever find out about his parentage?

GRRM:  Eventually, yes.

Just to note, this was answered on ‎04-14-2008, so he had written the fourth book by that point.

5 hours ago, MtnLion said:

You might find something interesting here.

Not really. Not every line in this book foreshadows a future event.  I also find it quite arrogant that in chapter that is all about Daenerys coming to turns with her identity as a Targaryen and ready to embrace her house words, a chapter in which she finally starts to get Drogon under her control that Jon fans try to make it about Jon.  

(Speaking of fanfiction, my God, that thread you linked is filled with it. Some of those theories are way way out there)

3 hours ago, sj4iy said:

Alaurian wrote:

GRRM,

First, let me just say that I love ASOIAF.  I am eagerly awaiting the next book, but I fill my time with, amongst other things, re-reading each one so I pretty well have them memorized.

I have a million questions, but the one that I really am most wanting to know is .... will Jon ever find out about his parentage?

Just to note, this was answered on ‎04-14-2008, so he had written the fourth book by that point.

Thankyou for that ! I knew I had read it somewhere. I'm so glad he gets to know. 

6 hours ago, princess_snow said:

Thankyou for that ! I knew I had read it somewhere. I'm so glad he gets to know. 

No problem :)  It would be missing a great opportunity for drama if Jon didn't learn about his parents, so I think it was always a given, anyway.

On 6/27/2016 at 8:16 AM, Rippounet said:

Nope. He said WE would, which is quite different.

At this point, the show made it obvious that Jon Snow's parentge won't have much political importance. He became KitN as a bastard. If he ever sits the IT, his parentage will be but a footnote in the story.

Jon Snow's parentage can only be truly important for three reasons now:
- For him.
- For a possible marriage to Dany.
- For magical purposes (his blood, prophecy... etc)

But if he has the North behind him, he is de facto a ruler. He only needs to be good at diplomacy and war to claim the IT.

The show spent far too much time and money with the ToJ inclusion for the lineage to be a footnote going into the final 13 episodes. Makes no sense to have that as the dominating scene in the flashbacks/visions Bran has had, and to have the ToJ as a major plotline in the season culminating in the finale if it was not going to matter much in the end.

The show is popular enough at this point that they don't even need book readers tuning in so I dont think all the time and money spent was bookfan service.

On 07/07/2016 at 5:46 AM, sj4iy said:

Alaurian wrote:

GRRM,

Hmmm... This is not the SSM on westeros.org

There's a reddit discussion about which version of the SSM is correct:
https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/4clcs1/spoilers_everything_has_grrm_said_if_jon_will/

Apparently you're right... Perhaps the version on westeros.org should be edited... (?)

Archived