Dawn

GeorgeIAF

5 hours ago, YOVMO said:

Why? There are lots of ways this could have happened. Ned could have let Mormont know prior to allowing Jon to take the black. Bloodraven could have been getting telepathic messages to Mormont either the same way he go to Bran or through the crow...blood raven would know R+L=J by wiernet and as a Targaryen loyalist would want to claim his birthright.

Count me as someone who believes there is more to the Mormont story and LongClaw.  I offer some peripheral hints, and from the tv show, no less.

1. When Jon is walking into the Winterfell courtyard, and dodging Ramsay's arrows, he picks up and successfully uses a Mormont shield.

2. Jon fights with Long Claw, given to him by Jeor Mormont.

3.  The only family that supports the Starks against the Boltons, is House Mormont.

4. Lyanna Mormont has the same name as Jon's mother.

5. It is Lyanna Mormont who begins the push that ends with Jon being named KoTN.

While I am not certain about the provenance of LongClaw, I do think something is up. These 'hints' come from the show, and the show gives hints with the subtlety of a hammer.  They crash you over the head with the message.  Thus, I believe there is something yet to know about House Mormont, House Stark, LongClaw, and Jon. 

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

3.  The only family that supports the Starks against the Boltons, is House Mormont.

4. Lyanna Mormont has the same name as Jon's mother.

5. It is Lyanna Mormont who begins the push that ends with Jon being named KoTN.

Thus, I believe there is something yet to know about House Mormont, House Stark, LongClaw, and Jon. 

House Mormont was very loyal to Robb as well, and lost family members at the Red Wedding. Ned also planned to execute Jorah for taking part in the slave trade. A long and complicated history between the houses! I personally think the Mormonts are wargs, just like the Starks! Many similarities.

As to #3, House Hornwood and House Mazin sent men to fight with Jon, not just House Mormont.

As to #4 &#5, I felt it was symbolism in the fact that a Lyanna (Stark) gave birth to a prince, and a Lyanna (Mormont) symbolicly gave birth to a king!

And I'm not trying to say Longclaw isn't special, I just question that it is a Targaryen blade!

Archived