Earthquakes in Westeros

Drunkpeasant

People who have studied the world book in depth might be able to correct me, but I don't think there is anything in recent, more firmly established history. The shattering of the Arm of Dorne sounds a little like an earthquake and resultant tsunami, but it was brought on by the CotF.

They seem to be aware of the concept though: "Their master Yezzan laughed loudest and longest whenever one of his dwarfs suffered a fall or took a blow, his whole vast body shaking like suet in an earthquake." Tyrion X, ADWD.

Not Westeros, but the Doom of Valyria had earthquakes & it was obviously rather devastating, part of what ripped the peninsula asunder. But as Super Mario said with the Shattering of the Arm of Dorne, the Doom also had a magical cause. O/w there's nothing explicit, IIRC.

29 minutes ago, Super Mario said:

The shattering of the Arm of Dorne sounds a little like an earthquake and resultant tsunami, but it was brought on by the CotF.

Good point, possibly also the inundation of the Neck (Hammer of the Waters 2.0), especially if the Iron Islands were split from the mainland because of such.

The only confirmed earthquakes not tied to the Doom of Valyria that I can recall take place in Yi Ti:

[Yi Ti] has waxed and waned and waxed again throughout the centuries, that it has weathered floods and droughts and sandstorms and quaking of the earth so violent as to swallow entire cities.

As for other geological phenomena, there are many confirmed and likely examples of volcanoes around the world, along with geothermal heating and tectonic plate boundaries. I'm actually looking to create a comprehensive list of all the examples of geological processes (you know, because it's ages since Dance came out and I'm bored), so this topic is extremely timely!

Archived