All living characters with Valyrian blood

electricguitarist

Okay, so I have been searching for a forum for this for a while. I haven't been able to find any and it has been driving me insane. This is also my first time starting a forum because I feel like this is necessary. I wish to have a list of all characters that have Valyrian blood that are still alive. Now why do I wish to know this? Because I want to know the possibilities of who can ride Rhaegal and Viserion. Obviously Dany can't ride them all, just Drogon (unless he dies). Also I think it would be interesting to see a list of all Valyrian descendants in the Known World. I will try to start the list but hopefully people will help me expand the list by bringing up Valyrian characters I have forgotten. (I know that there will be plenty!) Okay, here we go....

We know that the Targaryens are of Valyrian ancestry. We know Dany obviously. We also "know" about Aegon VI Targaryen. Even though I can't say I'm one hundred percent sure he's actually a Targaryen. But whether he is a Targaryen or not, it seems pretty obvious he is Valyrian. He could be part Blackfyre for all I know. We also know about House Celtigar of Claw Isle, as well as House Velaryon of Driftmark. Aurane Waters is the Bastard of Driftmark so he is obviously Valyrian. There is also the lord of Driftmark, Monterys Velaryon, a boy of seven. The only living Celtigar we know of is Adrian Celtigar, so he has to be of Valyrian ancestry. Also, I am quite certain that Jon "Snow" is either a Targaryen or a Targaryen bastard, so he is definitely one of the top candidates to ride Rhaegal or Viserion. The Baratheons have Aegon V Targaryen's blood running through their veins through his daughter who was Robert, Stannis, and Renly's grandmother. So this adds Stannis and Shireen Baratheon to my list of living people with Valyrian ancestry. Damn, I forgot how extinct members of trueborn House Baratheon are now. I am quite sure that the Martells have Valyrian blood, because Quentyn says so several times. I think it's because one of the princes or princesses of Dorne married into the Targaryens for Dorne and the rest of the Seven Kingdoms to make peace with each other. I can't quite remember what this marriage was but I'm fairly certain it happened. Either it wasn't told explicitly who married who or someone can help me out here and tell me who married who. But seriously why else would Quentyn keep saying he has Aegon the Conquerer's blood. And he tried to fucking tame a dragon! So it's safe to say the Martells have Valyrian ancestry. So this adds Doran, Arianne, and Trystane Martell to my list. This also adds Oberyn's daughters, Obara, Nymeria, Tyene, Sarella, Elia, Obella, Dorea, and Loreza Sand to the list. I almost forgot to mention Ser Manfrey Martell, the castellan of Sunspear. Oh, I also almost forgot about Bloodraven too.

• Daenerys Targaryen
  • Aegon VI "Targaryen"
  • Brynden Rivers
  • Jon "Snow"
  • Aurane Waters
  • Monterys Velaryon
  • Adrian Celtigar
  • Stannis Baratheon
  • Shireen Baratheon
  • Doran Nymeros Martell
  • Arianne Nymeros Martell
  • Trystane Nymeros Martell
  • Manfrey Nymeros Martell
  • Obara Sand
  • Nymeria Sand
  • Tyene Sand
  • Sarella Sand
  • Elia Sand
  • Obella Sand
  • Dorea Sand
  • Loreza Sand

Okay, I feel like there are a lot of people I'm forgetting. I feel like I've read somewhere that the Arryns married into the Targaryens at some point but maybe it was a wife to the king. I can't quite remember. Please help me out by adding as many people as you can to this list and remind me if any great houses have Targaryen, Velaryon, or Celtigar blood through marriage. I would also love to be reminded of some Valyrians in Essos, because I haven't mentioned many here. My only rule for this list is the character you add has to still be alive from our knowledge by the end of a Dance with Dragons.

Thanks for reading all of this, I hope this thread grows a lot!

There are way much more characters than those you have listed and it's impossible to have a list with everyone. For example; Daemon had two daughters with Laena one of them was married with the lord of Driftmark and her descendants are not only the house Velaryon but also their in laws. Rhaena was married with Garmund Hightower and had six daughters, we can only guess that these daughters had married and had children of their own and so on. Elaena was married with Ossifer Plumm and gave birth to Viserys Plumm who had descendants. From her second marriage with Ronnel Penrose she gave birth to four more children Robin, Laena, Jocely and Joy and it’s very likely that all of them had descendants and let’s not forget her bastards Jeyne and Jon who was the founder of House Longwaters. Egg's sisters Rhae and Daella also had descendants who we don't know their names yet and let’s not forget about the Baratheons and the Martells. There were also dragonseeds like Aemond's bastard and lost heirs like Aerea, Rhalla, Vaella and Maegor and those are just the people in Westeros.

The point is that no one can make a list about people with Valyrian blood because after three hundred years it's only natural that quite a lot highborns and smallfolk will have a drop of dragon's blood. Also you assume that Valyrian blood is what someone needs to ride a dragon which is something that we don't know for sure.

Welcome to the forums!

Nice list start & post!

I want to know the possibilities of who can ride Rhaegal and Viserion

A person doesn't necessarily need Valyrian ancestry to be able to bond with & ride a dragon - both Euron (I'd be a bit surprised if he doesn't end up with one at least briefly) & Vic (Euron is so playing the big lug & it's not going to end well for him) intend to control a dragon via Dragonbinder & seemingly don't have Valyrian ancestry. Plus ...

Spoiler

Nettles from The Princess & the Queen novella about the Dance may not have been a dragonseed (Targ bastard), but instead came to control Sheepstealer through well, simply feeding him a sheep daily.

It means that the likes of say Tyrion, assuming he isn't Aerys' son (which I don't think he is or, or his siblings), may come to riding a dragon through solely his wits & knowledge of dragon lore. But yes, Valyrian ancestry is the driving factor to who can be a dragonrider & who can't.

Ser Manfrey Martell, the castellan of Sunspear

I wouldn't necessarily include him tbh, because of his seemingly non-Rhoynish titles in not being Nymeros Martell nor Prince. Though they had many favourable concessions in joining the Seven Kingdoms through Baelor & Daeron II, it may be that cadet lines of House Martell don't carry the Rhoynish titles so there was only a certain amount of princes & princesses. Or something like that. As to additions:

• Robert's bastards: Edric Storm, Mya Stone, Gendry & Bella. Though none of them are going to be a dragonrider.
  • As the others said, the House Plumm of Westeros have Targ ancestry through Elaena if their line is descended from her (probably). That would be known members Lord Philip & his sons Sers Dennis, Peter & Harwyn. Again, not going to be riders.
  • Certainly, despite such mixed heritage, Brown Ben Plumm seems to be telling the truth about being descended from Elaena (& likely Aegon IV as Tyrion surmises). Especially given the affinity Dany's dragons for him, particularly Viserion. Such would be specific if Viserion's egg (pale cream streaked with gold) was actually once Elaena's (platinum white with a bright golden streak), which I think it was (easy explanation for how Illyrio got the egg's - Varys stole them from the Targs) - Viserion was recognising a descendant of his original "mother".
  • Possibly (I think almost certainly) Brienne via mayhaps one of Egg's sisters, Daella or Rhae. Again, I don't see her being one.
  • Edmure, Ned & Cat's kids & Sweetrobin may have Targ ancestry through Hoster's wife, Minisa Whent, if her line descended from House Lothston. Lord Manfryd/Manfred was possibly (I think likely) the bastard son of Aegon IV. Out of those, I think only Bran is a possibility of controlling a dragon & that through skinchanging of one &/or a rider.

- entire population of Lys, Myr, Tyrosh, Pentos, Norvos, Lorath, Qohor and Volantis - them beign former Valyrian colonies and all

- at least hundreds of thousands of ordinary Westerosi, whose one ancestor impregnated/was impregnated by a random Targaryen. Just imagine how many Targaryen genes did e.g. Aegon IV or Robert Baratheon spread.

All in all, Valyrian blood is neither that rare nor exclusive. Quite the contrary.

55 minutes ago, Knight Of Winter said:

- entire population of Lys, Myr, Tyrosh, Pentos, Norvos, Lorath, Qohor and Volantis - them beign former Valyrian colonies and all

- at least hundreds of thousands of ordinary Westerosi, whose one ancestor impregnated/was impregnated by a random Targaryen. Just imagine how many Targaryen genes did e.g. Aegon IV or Robert Baratheon spread.

All in all, Valyrian blood is neither that rare nor exclusive. Quite the contrary.

Lol, I wasn't going to comment, but I just want to give a big thumbs up to this comment. Exactly. A huge, huge amount of people have Valaryan blood. 

7 minutes ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

Does the current line of House Arryn descend from the line of Rodrik Arryn and Daella Targaryen?  That would mean Jon, Robin, and Harry Hardyng have drops of dragon in them, though much less than the descendants of Ormund and Rhaelle.

No. Daella had only one daughter Aemma who had only one daughter Rhaenyra.

You have a good project (though I don't think the dragons will have riders) as I think it is good to have a list of people with targ blood.

That said, you have a good start to a list of notable characters. But Targaryen rule was for 300 years and there were a lot of them. Cousins, bastards, cadet branches. I would go as far as to say that almost every house of note and definitely every single great house has some Targaryen blood in it from some point between Aegon I and Aerys II. It may not have been the blood in the line of the king, but still the blood of old Valyria.

12 hours ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

Nice list start & post!

A person doesn't necessarily need Valyrian ancestry to be able to bond with & ride a dragon - both Euron (I'd be a bit surprised if he doesn't end up with one at least briefly) & Vic (Euron is so playing the big lug & it's not going to end well for him) intend to control a dragon via Dragonbinder & seemingly don't have Valyrian ancestry. Plus ...

Reveal hidden contents

Nettles from The Princess & the Queen novella about the Dance may not have been a dragonseed (Targ bastard), but instead came to control Sheepstealer through well, simply feeding him a sheep daily.

Blowing the horn resulted in seared lungs and a rapid death for whoever blew it. That is why it was being taken to Daenerys - she is the only one who can use it and live. I expect it was intended as a gift to her (so she can control the dragons) in return for some favor, such as marriage.

I expect that it is not Valyrian blood that is necessary, but rather that the person be a descendent of Azor Ahai. I have a sneaking suspicion that the purest blood in that respect is actually the Daynes, not the Targaryens. Daenerys can command dragons and survive fire because she brings the blood of the two families together.

1 hour ago, tugela said:

Blowing the horn resulted in seared lungs and a rapid death for whoever blew it. That is why it was being taken to Daenerys - she is the only one who can use it and live. I expect it was intended as a gift to her (so she can control the dragons) in return for some favor, such as marriage.

I expect that it is not Valyrian blood that is necessary, but rather that the person be a descendent of Azor Ahai. I have a sneaking suspicion that the purest blood in that respect is actually the Daynes, not the Targaryens. Daenerys can command dragons and survive fire because she brings the blood of the two families together.

At what point in the books is that hinted at?

13 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

You make a logically farcical argument.  if people that far out can ride the dragons, than almost any nobility in Westeros and any person from Lys/Volantis should be able to ride a dragon.

Wrong only people of targ desent have a chance to ride a dragon do to there dragon blood. A normal valyrain has no dragon blood and thus no chance at ridding a dragon.

3 minutes ago, Sensenmenn said:

Wrong only people of targ desent have a chance to ride a dragon do to there dragon blood. A normal valyrain has no dragon blood and thus no chance at ridding a dragon.

... So the title of the thread I responded to isn't blah blah "VALYRIAN BLOOD"...?  What post we're you responding to?

4 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

... So the title of the thread I responded to isn't blah blah "VALYRIAN BLOOD"...?  What post we're you responding to?

The title is a mistake if you read the first post you would know he's asking about dragon blood and those who can ride dragons not valyrian blood wich is nothing special.

10 hours ago, Shireen Purratheon said:

There goes my poorly formed idea about Sweetrobin Targaryan riding a dragon.

Heh. Though quite unlikely, it may be that the Arryns (assuming SR is Jon's son, which I think he is though, & they come from the same line as her) have Targ ancestry if Alys Arryn did. She was married to Daeron II's third son, Rhaegel (the safe crazy one), likely for the Arryns' loyalty to the IT, especially if the match was made after the First Blackfyre Rebellion. Still, Daeron II married Aerys to the Aelinor Penrose (likely very recent Targ ancestry & possibly even Valyrian features with such a name) & Maekar to Dyanna Dayne (who even if she wasn't Valyrian-like featured herself, though I think she was at least with one out of her eyes or hair, carried such in her bloodline as a Dayne) - an argument could be made that he was trying to preserve Valyrian looks for his grandchildren given the whole climate with the Blackfyres, besides just political alliances. I like the theory that Jena Dondarrion was the daughter of Daena the Defiant (match likely arranged by Viserys during his short reign & makes sense given his political skill & the Marcher lords' disdain over the Dorne peace) & it may be that Alys had Targ ancestry through say Rhaena's Hightower daughters or Baela & Alyn's Velaryon offspring (either is almost certainly where Aelinor's relation to Aerys came from, as it's been confirmed it wasn't from Elaena & Lord Penrose). And after all, Targs had long married cousins even outside their House with Aemma Arryn being a notable example

4 hours ago, tugela said:

And Euron & Vic both planned to circumvent that by making themselves the "master" of the horn, even though intending other/s to blow it.

Spoiler

In Vic I, TWoW, he even has three oarsmen from his fleet lined up to do such.

No it isn't for Dany, & there's nothing to explicitly state that she could blow the horn & be fine. Nor will she likely even need it - she will strengthen her bond & control over Drogon with her time in the Dothraki Sea (again) & mayhaps with information from Tyrion &/or Marwyn, not from Dragonbinder. Euron is obsessed with getting a dragon for himself & all of his plans requires such. Meanwhile Vic obviously wants to trump the brother who is playing him like a fiddle, will have the horn blown (possibly even himself thinking it's his & he will be fine) so he can control a dragon to get Dany to marry him & will end up dying with whatever dragon probably ending up with Euron instead.

One could say that for now, but how do you explain the generations of Targ (& Velaryon) dragonriders after the Doom & after the Conquest, when they had no Dayne blood?! Given the focus of prophecy & bloodline in the generation of Egg's kids (Duncan marrying Mudd-descended Jenny instead of just keeping her as a paramour, the GoHH influencing Jaehaerys to marry Aerys & Rhaella together), Blackwood blood (especially given Bloodraven & the Starks' own connections to them) may have as much to do with it as Targ blood, likely more than Dayne ancestry. Whilst Drogon is alive, Dany will only ever truly be bonded with (& thus only ride) him. Nor can she survive fire - GRRM has said so multiple times (one & two) that Drogo's pyre was a one time magical event - plus she has been burned since (Daznak's & riding Drogon). She really only has some heat tolerance.

Spoiler

Just because D&D went they way they did with Dany in the show, it means nothing to how she is & will be in the show.

1 hour ago, Sensenmenn said:

A normal Valyrain has no dragon blood and thus no chance at riding a dragon.

Not necessarily. Whilst much of the Free Cities were established by non-dragonriding Valyrians (thus likely, though not necessarily, without such important ancestry in their blood), the dragonriders were outside Valyria more than enough to have imbued parts of the populace with their blood, especially among the nobility of the likes of the Volantenes who still place such high importance on blood purity. But yes, essentially only those with Targ ancestry specifically from post-Conquest stand any sort of chance of bonding & riding a dragon in this story (outside of mayhaps Euron, extremely powerful skinchanger Bran &/or someone like say Tyrion using his knowledge to pull a Nettles on one).

Archived