What do you think the origin for Hodor's name is?

jontargaryan

I'm almost 100% convinced that Hodor is the name of the Great Other (or maybe the Night's King or something similar). I have no idea why Hodor says/knows the Great Other's name though. I just find this theory very intriguing, and there's also some supporting but flimsy "evidence". Höðr, Hoder, Hodr.. that's the name of a Norse god/hero, said to be invincible. I know, tinfoil alert.

The "hold the door" variant was awesome too though, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen in the books. I love that whole timetravel aspect though.

5 minutes ago, Scootaloo Stark said:

I'm almost 100% convinced that Hodor is the name of the Great Other (or maybe the Night's King or something similar). I have no idea why Hodor says/knows the Great Other's name though. I just find this theory very intriguing, and there's also some supporting but flimsy "evidence". Höðr, Hoder, Hodr.. that's the name of a Norse god/hero, said to be invincible. I know, tinfoil alert.

The "hold the door" variant was awesome too though, but I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen in the books. I love that whole timetravel aspect though.

It has been confirmed though that the word Hodor indeed came from Hold the door. All that's left really is to see how it plays out in the books, which to be sure will be different from the show(I believe). 

Spoiler

As far as I can tell there is no wooden exit door to BR's cave. Although there may well be a door in the lower level of WF's crypts that could become part of the story and involve Hodor.

29 minutes ago, Macgregor of the North said:

It has been confirmed though that the word Hodor indeed came from Hold the door. All that's left really is to see how it plays out in the books, which to be sure will be different from the show(I believe). 

Reveal hidden contents

As far as I can tell there is no wooden exit door to BR's cave. Although there may well be a door in the lower level of WF's crypts that could become part of the story and involve Hodor.

Sorry, I had no idea it was confirmed. And I always feel like I've read everything on here.

There goes that theory. But like I said, "hold the door" is awesome too.

Now I'm curious which door Hodor will hold in the books. I feel like the cave shouldn't have a door, that's like having tables and chairs in there.

21 minutes ago, Scootaloo Stark said:

Sorry, I had no idea it was confirmed. And I always feel like I've read everything on here.

There goes that theory. But like I said, "hold the door" is awesome too.

Now I'm curious which door Hodor will hold in the books. I feel like the cave shouldn't have a door, that's like having tables and chairs in there.

Here's a quite cool quote on the matter. I'll throw it in a spoiler box cos I'm still unsure how sound it is to talk of such matters in the open ;)

Spoiler

In the latest instalment of Inside the Episode, showrunners DB Weiss and David Benioff discussed how Hodor’s story came directly from Martin.

“We had this meeting with George Martin where we were trying to get as much information as possible out of him,” said Benioff, “and probably the most shocking revelation he had for us was when he told us the origin of Hodor, or how that name came about. I just remember Dan and I looking at each other when he said that and just being like, ‘Holy s--t.’

Archived