What is the point of Daario?

He strongly assists in her character development in both mediums. Hes the honest little devil on her shoulder saying "yo, be the durgin, embrace the durgin, stop pussyfooting. Durgin." Daario reminds her of her true self. I also feel like we havent seen the last of him in the show? After all, Jorah is still out there. 

56 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Wasn't there a guy in the books who Dany left in charge of Astapor (?) and he turned dictator the second she left? Maybe that's gonna be Daario. 

Oh, no, I got it, maybe Euron's gonna meet Daario when he arrives at Meereen and they'll join forces against Dany.

Hell hath no fury like a fuckboi scorned. 

I highly doubt Euron's fleet will get to Meereen without Dany encountering or at least hearing about it!

12 hours ago, mafro987daboss said:

Now that Daenerys has dismissed him, what was his purpose in the first place, and will we see him again considering all the major players are in (or heading in the direction of) Westeros?

It seems the role of 'The Harpy' is not significant....

I believe his purpose was to give the ladies a reason to watch the show :)

I've not cared for the Daario character in the books or program. Why would this Second Son be fit to rule Mereen? Why would he and his cohorts want to stay in Mereen?  Aren't the Second Sons nomadic mercenaries? 

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:44 AM, mafro987daboss said:

Now that Daenerys has dismissed him, what was his purpose in the first place, and will we see him again considering all the major players are in (or heading in the direction of) Westeros?

It seems the role of 'The Harpy' is not significant....

Dany needed to be in a relationship where she was totally in charge because girls rock and to show how a strong independent woman can totally tame a bad boy. That is pretty much the level of discourse.

The harpy had zero significance at all. It could have, but it seems no one was creative enough to come up with an even semi plausible bit of writing to resolve it so they just had the Indians ride in (er, dothraki) and hoot, holler and kill all the sons of the harpy.

They put him in before they decided to drop the various other lost Targs and no longer needed the mercenary army. With all of that dropped he's a loose end that needed clipped.

Also probably a bit of what Yovmo said about how a show demonstrates it has "strong women characters." 

Just now, SevasTra82 said:

So Basically...

After 2+ seasons, Dany just decides to leave Mereen in the hands of a Mercenary, and never even finds out who the Harpy is?  And this will probably be the last time we see Essos?

...Ooookayy.....

Too much CGI money for Mereen, they're happy to cut it off.

12 minutes ago, Quyen Thuy Tran said:

Too much CGI money for Mereen, they're happy to cut it off.

Should have thought about that before they spend so much time there.

Besides, there is no excuse for not revealing who the Harpy is.  It was a major plot line in Season 5 and bled into Season 6....for them to just drop the plot with no closure is just bad writing.

Just now, SevasTra82 said:

Besides, there is no excuse for not revealing who the Harpy is.  It was a major plot line in Season 5 and bled into Season 6....for them to just drop the plot with no closure is just bad writing.

No worries, maybe they will move to Westeros just to assassinate Dany, lol

11 minutes ago, SevasTra82 said:

Didn't they just establish that there was no 1 harpy but that the slavers Tyrion meets with are funding the resistance and are simply known as the Harpy?

3 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Didn't they just establish that there was no 1 harpy but that the slavers Tyrion meets with are funding the resistance and are simply known as the Harpy?

I must have missed that piece dialogue.  Even so...seems like an easy cop-out for the plot.

14 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Yeah I don't think there's a single person who is the Harpy. The Harpy is just a symbol of Slaver's Bay and Old Ghis, the slavers' ancestral homeland, I believe.

The point of Daario is for him to be Euron in disguise. At least in the books. Since we're discussing the show here, they can simply recast Daario a second time. This time as Mads Mikkelsen, this time for good.

Archived