What is the point of Daario?

To be fair to the character, I doubt Daarios would be stupid enough to betray her in any obvious way.

I wouldn´t mind if that happened, it would be "believabe", especially in the series he was repeatedely shown last season that Daenerys doesn´t need him as much as he might have thought, so that could send towards the irrational way.

But he always sounded like a very rational man, and he just witnessed what she done with more than one entire nation and its tyranical ruling class, which had maybe thousands of years of tradition backing them. He knows first-hand that she truly cares for those people, more than he judges "healthy" for a statesperson; so he knows that if he outright abused them, she would eventually take whatever ships she had and come back for his neck.

If the Daarios that I see chooses to take advantage of the situation, it would be something very surrepititious.

I believe, however, he´s a "red herring" of this whole betrayal thing.

I would say the main reason to keep Daario in the story was actually less about the mechanics of the plot and more the character himself. There was IMHO a definite danger of Daenerys story becoming a bit too bland and characterless and for her especially having someone who related to her in a less formal and respectful fashion allowed her to show more personality.

The change of actor definitely helped a lot there.

9 hours ago, brightflame princess said:

I totally agree with you. If she left grey worm and a few of the unsullied, they would always be loyal to her and her cause. But the second sons? What if they got offered a better deal? Or what if they take over and betray dany? Especially since daario is upset with her.. that was a poor choice. But maybe it will come back to bite her.

Yeah.

I like Daario fine as a character, but my goodness, he's a mercenary, leading a band of mercenaries   And this is who Dany left in charge of her major (only?) stronghold in Essos???

Grey Worm and Missandei BOTH strike me as being more serious-minded, more responsible, and more reliable than Daario, not to mention that Missandei speaks 19 languages.

24 minutes ago, Cron said:

Yeah.

I like Daario fine as a character, but my goodness, he's a mercenary, leading a band of mercenaries   And this is who Dany left in charge of her major (only?) stronghold in Essos???

Grey Worm and Missandei BOTH strike me as being more serious-minded, more responsible, and more reliable than Daario, not to mention that Missandei speaks 19 languages.

I guess she felt like she needed them to help her in westeros. But she has tyrion for that.

Now that's we've discussed a bit, I think we will see Daario next season, or at the very least we will hear about him, because I don't think he will do what dany asked of him. Wether he sends his second sons to casterly rock regardless, or just leaves/takes over mereen, it's hard to say.

I guess it really comes down to danys own self control. I think that she wants to be loyal to her new westerosi husband, and she knows with daario around she won't be able to. He is just too darn tempting. Lol

7 hours ago, NutBurz said:

To be fair to the character, I doubt Daarios would be stupid enough to betray her in any obvious way.

I wouldn´t mind if that happened, it would be "believabe", especially in the series he was repeatedely shown last season that Daenerys doesn´t need him as much as he might have thought, so that could send towards the irrational way.

But he always sounded like a very rational man, and he just witnessed what she done with more than one entire nation and its tyranical ruling class, which had maybe thousands of years of tradition backing them. He knows first-hand that she truly cares for those people, more than he judges "healthy" for a statesperson; so he knows that if he outright abused them, she would eventually take whatever ships she had and come back for his neck.

If the Daarios that I see chooses to take advantage of the situation, it would be something very surrepititious.

I believe, however, he´s a "red herring" of this whole betrayal thing.

I think you are right. If he does betray dany, it will probably be to try and help her cause. Perhaps by taking the second sons to casterly rock anyways? 

I think he will want to show her his worth, but it probably won't end well.

I just thought of something.. If he is serious about loving dany, maybe he will try to take over one of the kingdoms of westeros (like the westerlands) so that he himself is a lord and a suitable potential husband for her. I don't think it will work if he does try that tho.

4 hours ago, brightflame princess said:

I guess she felt like she needed them to help her in westeros. But she has tyrion for that.

Now that's we've discussed a bit, I think we will see Daario next season, or at the very least we will hear about him, because I don't think he will do what dany asked of him. Wether he sends his second sons to casterly rock regardless, or just leaves/takes over mereen, it's hard to say.

I guess it really comes down to danys own self control. I think that she wants to be loyal to her new westerosi husband, and she knows with daario around she won't be able to. He is just too darn tempting. Lol

That's an interesting idea, that he might attack Casterly Rock on his own anyway (since he mentioned that to Dany)

I think there's a really good chance you might have put your finger on it.

It's intereting that, to my memory, we have NEVER seen Casterly Rock, in the books or the show.  Maybe we finally will, and we'll have Daario to thank for  it.  (I've read descriptions, and my understanding is that it's like a fortress inside a mountain, nigh impregnable.)

Daario, like many characters the show has adapted, I think served several roles. First of course, there is Daario in the books, and the writers decided to include him in the show. Perhaps they thought his bravado,  sex appeal and such were good for TV. But other than that, he was a known face and character that served to propel the plot in several ways. It was marginally better for Jorah to have a partner in their search for Dany. He was Jorah's counterpoint through that experience and maybe Jorah's comment about if Daario sees him suffering significantly from Greyscale to just off him might come back to be important. Daario was also a stand-in for Belwas at times, in particular during the siege of Meereen. Finally, as others have pointed out, Daario was in a lot of ways Dany's rebound guy after Drogo.

But has any of this been critical to the story? No, not really.

2 hours ago, Cron said:

That's an interesting idea, that he might attack Casterly Rock on his own anyway (since he mentioned that to Dany)

It's intereting that, to my memory, we have NEVER seen Casterly Rock, in the books or the show.  Maybe we finally will, and we'll have Daario to thank for  it.  (I've read descriptions, and my understanding is that it's like a fortress inside a mountain, nigh impregnable.)

In the world of ice and fire there's a picture of all the big castles. Highgarden, casterly rock, winterfell, Riverrun, sunspear, storms end, dragonstone and the eyrie. If you can, get your hands on that book. It's amazing. I rented it from my local library.a

Casterly rock is a castle built out of a huge rock. Most of it is inside the rock, with rooms and hallways carved out of it. 

1 hour ago, brightflame princess said:

In the world of ice and fire there's a picture of all the big castles. Highgarden, casterly rock, winterfell, Riverrun, sunspear, storms end, dragonstone and the eyrie. If you can, get your hands on that book. It's amazing. I rented it from my local library.a

Casterly rock is a castle built out of a huge rock. Most of it is inside the rock, with rooms and hallways carved out of it. 

3 hours ago, Cron said:

I imagine dragon fire will render the Casterly Rock not quite so impregnable. 

4 hours ago, brightflame princess said:

Sweet.

Yeah, I've heard about that book before, I REALLY should pick it up.

On June 28, 2016 at 11:23 AM, It's ok I'm the Glass Guy said:

Daario will join up with Jorah and they'll rule Meereen in a spinoff sitcom. It'll be like Perfect Strangers.

It will be the Sawyer/Miles LOST spinoff we never got. I'm IN!

The point of Daario is HOT.MAN.ASS. in the form of Michiel Huisman. That is the point of Daario. :D

I'm kinda late to this, so maybe someone has already said this, but IMO this is one of those events where the books and the show won't really diverge.

In the books Daario's whole purpose is to highlight Dany's wild personality, that she is desperately trying to supress. At the end of the fifth book she finally embraces it though, so Daario will no longer be needed. I actually think it will go down exactly the same as in the show. Dany will just tell him she can't have him by her side anymore in Westeros. Which will be kind of sad, since Daario always seemed to be the type to hurt women, but now Dany will hurt him. This will be just one of many events that will lead Dany down a darker path in TWoW.

4 hours ago, Tolsimir said:

I'm kinda late to this, so maybe someone has already said this, but IMO this is one of those events where the books and the show won't really diverge.

In the books Daario's whole purpose is to highlight Dany's wild personality, that she is desperately trying to supress. At the end of the fifth book she finally embraces it though, so Daario will no longer be needed. I actually think it will go down exactly the same as in the show. Dany will just tell him she can't have him by her side anymore in Westeros. Which will be kind of sad, since Daario always seemed to be the type to hurt women, but now Dany will hurt him. This will be just one of many events that will lead Dany down a darker path in TWoW.

But in the show he doesn't highlight her wild personality but is just a bland love interest that has now been discarded. Let's just call a spade a spade. The character didn't enhance the story in ANY way.

On 13/07/2016 at 0:00 PM, MoreOrLess said:

I would say the main reason to keep Daario in the story was actually less about the mechanics of the plot and more the character himself. There was IMHO a definite danger of Daenerys story becoming a bit too bland and characterless and for her especially having someone who related to her in a less formal and respectful fashion allowed her to show more personality.

The change of actor definitely helped a lot there.

But it became too bland even after his introduction? She didn't show anymore personality, even in the naked scene. In the show's defence, I can't see where the books are going with his character either. I think in general, his character is unnecessary and an accessory.

14 hours ago, JMJ said:

I imagine dragon fire will render the Casterly Rock not quite so impregnable. 

Could be..

Spoiler from the world of ice and fire

Spoiler

Visenya targaryen specifically said it's a good thing the Lord of the rock met them on the battlefield instead of walling up in the castle. If he had stayed in casterly rock, the dragons couldn't have gotten to him and his people. 

• 1 month later...

With all due respect the Daario's Mercenary company is nowhere strong enough to take Casterly Rock.  I think that Daario served a purpose, to show that Dany is now "all grown up".  She set him aside for adult reasons.  But remember that Euron is still supposedly heading to Meereen.  Maybe when he gets there he meets a Daario who has decided to get even with Dany for her casting him off.

Archived