Jamie is the Younger Brother

BloodRider

And he is going to kill Circe.

At least that is my humble opinion.  Logistically speaking he is, of the twins, the younger brother.  We just saw the other parts of the prophecy get fulfilled (on the show).  So I think that part fits.

As to motivation, we do know that Jamie does not like WMDs.  He has killed monarchs, broken oaths, and betrayed loved ones before to prevent such madness.

This is actually a rather common answer as to who the valonqar will be, but good pick-up & supporting points. As much as Jaime has a partially redemptive arc (or whatever you want to call it), his refusal to say why he killed Aerys was kind of a dick move meaning that much of Chekhov's Wildfire is still there & so ultimately only delayed in going off.

2 hours ago, Lord Corlys Velaryon said:

This is actually a rather common answer as to who the valonqar will be, but good pick-up & supporting points. As much as Jaime has a partially redemptive arc (or whatever you want to call it), his refusal to say why he killed Aerys was kind of a dick move meaning that much of Chekhov's Wildfire is still there & so ultimately only delayed in going off.

Tyrion knew about the wildfire. Why would we assume he didn't use it in the defense of king's landing?

40 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

He doesn't know about Aerys' caches. Only Jaime and Brienne know .

He finds out from the pyromancers. They mention Aerys' caches when totaling up how many he can use during the siege. 

“No, no,” Hallyne squeaked, “the sums are accurate, I swear. We have been, hmmm, most fortunate, my lord Hand. Another cache of Lord Rossart’s was found, more than three hundred jars. Under the Dragonpit! 

At the very least, Tyrion and they knew some existed and found them. Jaime might well know where more are but Brienne certainly wouldn't know all the locations. We've had his POV and he mentions many but not exact locations for all of them.

At first I thought it was Jaime but now I'm not so sure, because it's so obvious to the reader.

45 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

He finds out from the pyromancers. They mention Aerys' caches when totaling up how many he can use during the siege. 

“No, no,” Hallyne squeaked, “the sums are accurate, I swear. We have been, hmmm, most fortunate, my lord Hand. Another cache of Lord Rossart’s was found, more than three hundred jars. Under the Dragonpit! 

At the very least, Tyrion and they knew some existed and found them. Jaime might well know where more are but Brienne certainly wouldn't know all the locations. We've had his POV and he mentions many but not exact locations for all of them.

I'm not sure either Jaime or Brienne know a lot about wildfire, beyond the fact that it's a treacherous substance to handle. If I remember correctly, Tyrion learned from Hallyne that wildfire becomes more explosive as it ages, but he didn't know before that. So Jaime, in his ignorance, decided that the best thing to do was keep the wildfire cashes secret so that noone tampers with them (and when Brienne heard, she did not say "What?? KL is on a time bomb???").

1 hour ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Yeah the thing is that those were the already known caches. It would seem, to  hear Jaime say it, that there are many many more. As to whether he knows exactly where they are, hard to say, but it's likely considering he's KG and isn't supposed to spill the King's secrets. In any case, he knows enough to know they exist, so it's not a huge stretch to assume he knows where they might be hidden.

I think Jaime is almost too obvious. I kind of like the implication it's Tyrion because that would in some ways be a self fulfilling prophecy ie Cersei's fear led to her distrust and hatred of him which in turn led to his hatred of her. I also like to think Jaimes story arc might take him away from kings landing and involve him with the nights watch and a black cloak but there is nothing to base that on.

12 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Tyrion knew about the wildfire. Why would we assume he didn't use it in the defense of King's Landing?

As @HairGrowsBack said, Tyrion knew about the wildfire that Hallyne & the surviving/recruited pyromancers have been producing since Robert became king & what Cersei had already had sanctioned them to produce for the defense (that Hallyne remarks with their rapidly increased production, thinking there may be dragons in the world again to have affected such), but not that Aerys specifically intended to burn KL down. Jaime had never even told him, because he kept it bottled up (pun-intended) & that's also what else makes his reveal to Brienne such a big deal personally & towards the overall story. Yes, Tyrion learns about the cache under the Dragonpit that Hallyne said had been Rossart's, but that's just likely due to them having been marked so. Admittedly, Tyrion thinks he had just stored them there & Jaime doesn't list the Dragonpit (though it is right next to Flea Bottom & Aerys may have even thought that an apt place to "become a dragon" before Tywin arrived on the scene) as one of the places they were planted:

He saw traitors everywhere, and Varys was always there to point out any he might have missed. So His Grace commanded his alchemists to place caches of wildfire all over King's Landing. Beneath Baelor's Sept and the hovels of Flea Bottom, under stables and storehouses, at all seven gates, even in the cellars of the Red Keep itself. (A Storm of Swords, Jaime V)

Still, there's Aerys era wildfire presumably still under Baelor's (though I could've sworn there was a quote a High Septon had been frantic when wildfire was found underneath the Great Sept at some stage), Flea Bottom, "stables & storehouses", the seven gates AND the Red Keep.

10 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

So Jaime, in his ignorance, decided that the best thing to do was keep the wildfire cashes secret so that noone tampers with them

9 hours ago, HairGrowsBack said:

it's likely considering he's KG and isn't supposed to spill the King's secrets.

True. Tbf, even though it may have been good PR for himself, House Lannister & the new Baratheon regime if he had told the likes of his father, Robert & Jon Arryn about the wildfire; the new rulers could receive some major backlash if they made such public. Do they have to evacuate & disrupt the city to get rid of them? Do they do it secretly & then tell everyone? Where is wildfire stored or disposed of? Still, he knew they were a potential danger at least when he killed Garigus & Bells to make sure they wouldn't set them off anyway. Plus when Cersei burns down the Tower of the Hand in Feast he even tells her she's beginning to sound like Aerys. Jaime, even in breaking his KG vows in killing Aerys, ultimately did the right thing in preventing KL from burning; but in his sustained silence on the matter meant that the threat was really only delayed.

3 hours ago, Makk said:

I think Jaime is almost too obvious. I kind of like the implication it's Tyrion because that would in some ways be a self fulfilling prophecy ie Cersei's fear led to her distrust and hatred of him which in turn led to his hatred of her. I also like to think Jaimes story arc might take him away from kings landing and involve him with the nights watch and a black cloak but there is nothing to base that on.

I get what you mean & I could certainly see that too with it actually ending up being Tyrion &/or Jaime joining the NW, but OTOH:

• Cersei may learn about Aerys wildfire caches, say from Qyburn, or possibly just order commandeering of the Pyromancers'.
  • Nymeria & Tyene are going to be in KL to possibly murder Tommen &/or whisper in Cersei's ear to open the gates for the Dornish to help defend the city from Aegon's approach (just like Pycelle did to Aerys about the Lannister army).
  • When Tommen dies &/or she is betrayed yet again, Cersei may order the city to burn.
  • Jaime stops it happening again by killing her to become the valonqar, the very person Cersei would least suspect, certainly between her two brothers.
  • Even if Jaime stops Cersei from burning down KL, it likely will anyway when Dany wars against Aegon with her dragons.

21 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

At first I thought it was Jaime but now I'm not so sure, because it's so obvious to the reader.

I'm not sure either Jaime or Brienne know a lot about wildfire, beyond the fact that it's a treacherous substance to handle. If I remember correctly, Tyrion learned from Hallyne that wildfire becomes more explosive as it ages, but he didn't know before that. So Jaime, in his ignorance, decided that the best thing to do was keep the wildfire cashes secret so that noone tampers with them (and when Brienne heard, she did not say "What?? KL is on a time bomb???").

It might be obvious to fanatics like us, but for the casual reader Tyrion is the red herring. 

And it combines nicely with Brienne being the other, younger and more beautiful, who will cast down Cersei and take all she holds dear (Jaime). 

14 hours ago, Makk said:

I think Jamie is too obvious too, but sometimes the obvious is just the way of it.

Some other Valanquor possibilities that I've come up with that are much less obvious (an I have very little or no proof for)

Ser Robert Strong: The newest (youngest in that term) kingsguard

Blood Raven (a younger brother) could choke her out with some darth vader force choking

Euron could drown her

15 hours ago, YOVMO said:

I think Jamie is too obvious too, but sometimes the obvious is just the way of it.

Some other Valanquor possibilities that I've come up with that are much less obvious (an I have very little or no proof for)

Ser Robert Strong: The newest (youngest in that term) kingsguard

Blood Raven (a younger brother) could choke her out with some darth vader force choking

Euron could drown her

I think it has to be someone who has a more personal connection to Cersei ; if we eliminate the more or less obvious (Tyrion and Jaime), I could see Loras fulfilling that role.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of Jaime as the Valonqar, but I have to admit it's more than likely, especially as I think this:

16 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

And it combines nicely with Brienne being the other, younger and more beautiful, who will cast down Cersei and take all she holds dear (Jaime).

is spot on.

13 hours ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I think it has to be someone who has a more personal connection to Cersei ; if we eliminate the more or less obvious (Tyrion and Jaime), I could see Loras fulfilling that role.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of Jaime as the Valonqar, but I have to admit it's more than likely, especially as I think this:

is spot on.

My problem with this is that it assumes that Cersei hold's Jamie dear. 

now we know Jamie hold's Cersei dear. But during Jamie's "escape" from riverrun I think he has the perfect comment about their relationship. He says, after chopping off his hair, "I don't look so much like Cersei now. She will hate that"

cersei is a classic narcissist. She loves her beauty. She loves power and she loves her children (though part of that is as an extension of herself)

someone younger and more beautiful to take all that she holds dear always made more sense to me as Margary (even though it is a little on the nose).

Archived