Round of 16 (Day 3) Spain/Italy, England/Iceland

This is brilliant! Iceland are totally outplaying the opposition. And typically the English, instead of raising their game, are moaning about players being out of form & poor coaching. 

Today is Viking Day. Onwards, mighty Island, Land of Ice & Fire.

I'm sceptical as to wether Iceland can keep this up for another 45 minutes, but what a performance they have delivered in their three and a half games so far: two draws, a win and leading at half time - this for a nation with just about 300 000 inhabitants. Amazing!

Interesting to see two not very fancied sides (although one a lot more-so) who have done really well in the tournament thanks to great managing.

I think the importance of a manager is underrated, if anything. Look at ManU after Fergie. 

I can't believe what I am seeing... Never mind, this is the English side. I am still fairly sure that this will go down similar to the Wales game and be a heartbreak though, but it has been so fun to root for this Icelandic team.

5 minutes ago, Emre Mor-mont said:

New game: take a drink every time Glenn Hoddle says 'brave'.

Well, the Austrian commentator on ORF just said that the Icelandish have learned not to fall down, because they would otherwise instantly freeze, so this Hoddle-guy seems alright.

We are out of Europe, we said so on Thursday and are now implementing it.

Really didn't expect England to be so soundly schooled. Iceland has now become my favorite team of the tournament. 

Yeah, ain't over yet, but even if they lose it was a very fun tournament from this plucky band of underdogs.

Italia!  Tactics, crafty play, rapid breaks, we did it all again and they still weren't ready for it.  This time we left the shirt-pulling and kicking off the ball to the impotent Spaniards.  Could easily have been 3-0.  Ze Jormans must hope their attack improves a lot to have any chance against this defence. 

Hodgson is such a shit manager. I remember this feeling as an LFC fan. Afterwards, don't be surprised if he says "I think we done well against a really good side. This is as good as we is at the moment."

Iceland look so comfortable here. Rooney isn't having a good game either. How many times has he given the ball away? Unless someone comes up with a piece of individual brilliance, it's hard to see England breaking this Iceland team down

Archived