Howdyphillip

Round of 16 (Day 3) Spain/Italy, England/Iceland

114 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

Admittedly, good club managers do not necessarily make good NT managers, or vice versa. The skill sets are quite different, ultimately. Jürgen Klinsmann is a decent NT manager, but he utterly failed as a club manager every time he tried. Joachim Löw's club management record isn't great, either - he won the Bundesliga with Stuttgart once but could never get a team to play consistently for more than a season. So, given that club management doesn't really count as job experience for a NT coach, why not give Shearer a try? It's not like his highly decorated predecessors have been all that successful.

What? Löw won the Bundesliga?!? He won the German Cup once with Stuttgart in 97. But that's about it.

Well, sorry, I messed that up. But that's only really strengthening my point. And Klinsmann definitely was a gamble at the time. He had no coaching experience back then. 

34 minutes ago, Bjornbert said:

I think after Euro 2004 where Germany had an extremly poor showing they decided to invest a lot in youth training and we can see the results now. They have completly changed the way they play and the clubs are a lot more likely to put trust into unproven players( Kimmich from Bayern and Weigl from Dortmund were completly unknown a year ago and now they are in the Euro squad. Both are very important players for their clubs)

The truely poor showing had been at the Euro 2000, followed by a terrible display in Japan / Korea with a lot of undeserved results going to our ( Germany's) favor.  The display of 2004 wasn't as bad as the result sugests, only the draw against Lettland was embarrissing, the budding Lahm has been a joy to watch. It also was the first tournament of Schweinsteiger. The youth program surely helps to sustain the the output of quality players, but I think it's influence is a bit exaggerated.

The German situation in 2004 was quite similar to the situation England is in now. Quite a few promising young talents, but no concept or team spirit. Take heart

The 2004 showing was at least very much perceived to be in the grand tradition of 2000 and 2002. In a way it helped people reconsider what the second place finish in 2002 had kind of masked, since it was still Völler in charge and yet the team seemed to be performing no better than under Ribbeck.

When Klinsmann took over and declared he was there to win the World Cup two years later people weren't sure he was serious. Only a few months before the opening game in 2006, tabloids suggested that Beckenbauer (a man at the time already very much out of touch with the state of football) should be hired to "assist" Klinsmann. It basically took until Lahm's opening goal against Costa Rica for people to realise that Klinsmann had in fact managed to build a rather promising team.

Jamie Carragher pulled no punches in this article for Daily Mail.

13 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36652412

wales don't have to defend this.  it was fucking class, i'm english and i was practically cheering for iceland. 

The way England performed, I'm not sure there are many neutral fans who didn't react the same way to that final whistle.

Iceland are the underdog team of this tournament and have played well enough to become a neutral fans' favourite.

It's funny. Carragher didn't see these alleged problems after the Wales game. Nobody else did, either. And weirdly, Wales have done well despite their players being brought through exactly the same system Carragher is suggesting made the England players 'soft'.

It's almost as if he's talking rubbish.

Are you honestly surprised that someone was not saying anything when everything was going reasonably fine and spoke up when shit hit the fan?

It's almost as if hindsight was 20/20. ;) 

Who will be next England head coach? my favorite Gary Neville

Because he's done such a great job with Valencia? :lol: 

Neville won't get the job. Didn't succeed with Valencia, and was part of Hodgson's team. Shearer is more likely, I'd say.

The answer as to who is coming from the Holy Trinity of English managers: Tony Pulis, Sam Allardyce and Alan Pardew. So sayeth the Lord.

Don't forget Gareth Southgate, although I read that he has no interest in the job.

Alan Pardew is a genius, btw.

On 29.06.2016 at 1:36 PM, baxusz said:

Because he's done such a great job with Valencia? :lol: 

No, this was just  a bad experience for Neville. England need the manager like Gary, who can yell at players, make them play unselfness 

Just because of people saying things like that, I'd really like it if Neville got the job. :lol: 

Oh dear...if England can't find a better candidate than Gary Neville then they are in deep shit.