Ambiguous Looks

Whelp, we get to wait a year so we've returned to the mega speculation zone. 

Among the things that will be heavy on my mind is the meaning of two particularly ambiguous looks between siblings and how that will play out.

First was Jaime's look as Cersei ascended the throne. He certainly didn't look happy, but how can he be when his son is dead? Was he displeased? Worried? Was that resignation? Shock?

Next was Sansa. We see her smiling as Jon is declared King in the North, but then her smile fades into ambiguity as she meets LF's gaze. What was that about?

I know I personally think for Jaime that was a "Well now you've done it, what the heck am I going to do?" look, and to me Sansa seemed worried when she was reminded that LF is among them and wants the Throne. But it was definitely left open to interpretation and I'm curious how others saw those looks. 

4 hours ago, Rumy Stark said:

Whelp, we get to wait a year so we've returned to the mega speculation zone. 

Among the things that will be heavy on my mind is the meaning of two particularly ambiguous looks between siblings and how that will play out.

First was Jaime's look as Cersei ascended the throne. He certainly didn't look happy, but how can he be when his son is dead? Was he displeased? Worried? Was that resignation? Shock?

Next was Sansa. We see her smiling as Jon is declared King in the North, but then her smile fades into ambiguity as she meets LF's gaze. What was that about?

I know I personally think for Jaime that was a "Well now you've done it, what the heck am I going to do?" look, and to me Sansa seemed worried when she was reminded that LF is among them and wants the Throne. But it was definitely left open to interpretation and I'm curious how others saw those looks. 

I think Jamie was terrified that Cersi carried out the mad kings plan succesfully. He should know they are now on the losing side no matter how things play out. 

Sansa is either thinking she wants to be queen or worried that little finger the most dangerous play will do something

I think Jaime looked freaked out, and yes worried about what he should do. I don't think he thought even Cersei would go this far.

I felt the same about Sansa. She's worried about what LF will do next and she's definitely going to have to keep him close enough to keep an eye on him. 

5 minutes ago, MilesJames said:

I think Jamie was terrified that Cersi carried out the mad kings plan succesfully. He should know they are now on the losing side no matter how things play out. 

Sansa is either thinking she wants to be queen or worried that little finger the most dangerous play will do something

Agree, i guess Sansa is thinking the latter. LF didn't look to happy when Jon was made KITN

There's a reason for the 6x06 flashback scene. We saw Aerys being slayed by Jaime, and right after that, we have the wildfire scene from this episode. Parallels.

Cersei is mirroring the Mad King, and I think that's on Jaime's mind.

I think that she was happy about Jon and then she saw LF, she knew he's plotting something is his mind and that he's a dangerous man and he will never let Jon rule the north because he wants the iron throne, this is why her smile faded by fear for the safety of her brother

Yeah, the finale seems to promise a lot of sibling conflicts in season 7.

1. Theon and Asha - They are on the same team, but should Dany turn against the Starks, Theon may defect to the Stark side. (Which will be an irony). Theon and Asha's relation was good this season, but they grew up different worlds and Theon might find Sansa is more a sister to him than Asha (which is unfair to Asha, but Theon is an emotional wreck still).
  2. Jon and Sansa - The show is throwing Sansa/Jon misunderstandings at our face, so I think that Sansa will keep on appearing to be LF's puppet for a while only to eventually turn on LF, and possibly kill him. There is the gianstslayer prophecy she is part of, after all. I think D&D are building up their tensions only to show Sansa's ultimate loyalty to House Stark as a pleasant surprise. It won't be an easy ride for Jon and Sansa in S7, bu I see a glimmer of hope for them because after S6, almost everyone expect Sansa to betray Jon. So naturally it won't happen.
  3. Jaime and Cersei - I think Jaime will swallow the bitter draught that is Cersei's rule for a while, because he has no other options. But her will kill her in the end, fulfilling the valonqar prophecy. Jaime joining either of Cersei's two major opponents will be an excellent plot-twist and redemption for Jaime's character. Jaime swore an oath to protect Sansa (whose head will be among the first things in Queen Cersei's wish list), and at least some readers expect Dany-Jaime interactions to be something positive. He could tell her more about her family - Aerys and Rhaegar. And Dany forgiving Jaime will finally makes Jaime's heart at peace with what he did to Aerys.
  4. Euron and Aeron - I hope we see some of Foresaken chapter stuff in the show. Show-Aeron is different from book one, but their fates could be the same.
  5. Tyrion and Daenerys - If A+J=T is true, this means these two are the only sibling pair who are actually working together, trusting each other the way Jon and Sansa should be doing. I don't think the show will have A+J=T revealed even if it is true in the books - there has been no build-up for that, unlike R+L=J

Those are the main people handling power. I don't think Arya will be near her family any time soon. I hope she is reunited with Jon though - Jon needs one sister who he can totally rely on. I do think Bran will reach Jon and reveal his parentage. Then there is the ultimate sibling rivalry to look forward to - Cleganebowl! With Cersei back on the throne, she may unleash the Mountain on some of her foes, and we might get to see Sandor getting his revenge.

to me Sansa seemed worried when she was reminded that LF is among them and wants the Throne. But it was definitely left open to interpretation and I'm curious how others saw those looks. 

That is the overwhelming impression for both me and most people I think. Sophie Turner has even re-emphasized the ambiguous nature of the gaze ("You really don't know where they’re going to go from there") which confirms for me it's just that they wanna tease the possibility of conflict to get people anxious (which is typical television marketing). It's gonna make people anxious for no reason in the end lol, but that's what it is. 

30 minutes ago, Ingelheim said:

There's a reason for the 6x06 flashback scene. We saw Aerys being slayed by Jaime, and right after that, we have the wildfire scene from this episode. Parallels.

This for Jaime/Cersei. He sacrificed his dignity and general moral standing in trying to prevent a slaughter at KL at the hands of the Mad King. He's had to face a lifetime of mocking and jeering about it. He's just had his feelings towards this called out time and again in this season and then comes back to find his sister and love has done it anyway. And his only remaining child is also dead because of it. He's finally realised how batsh^t and dangerous she is. 

He's finally caught up to his book redemption arc. 

Sansa's more interesting but obviously meant to send us all into a frenzy of speculation. Everyone has declared for the KITN, so what does that mean for her and what the hell is LF's game. Who knows?

Theon's long look at their banners is clearly him trying to recover his identity and where he fits.

For Jaimie I feel like his look was one of disappointment and foreboding.  Cersei undid the greatest achievement of his life.  He has been the Kingslayer for so many years, but at least he knew he had saved the city.  What I found more surprising was Cersei's look back it him.  Seemed like a look that said she did not care about anything.

I interpreted Sansa's look as one of apprehension knowing what LF is capable of when there are people in his way and  Jon is clearly in his way.

I think they were purposeful with Jamie this season.  He met the Blackfish, who was disdainful of Jamie, and said he had no honor.  Then Jamie met with Walder Frey, who told him they were peers.  Jamie wants to be peers with great warriors, like the Blackfish, not those like Walder Frey.  And all stemming from his Kingslaying.  So he rides back to Kings Landing to find what Cercei has done.  

I am also intrigued by the fact that Jamie was someone who knew Rhaegar back in the day - I wonder how much Jon may be like him in personality, and if others would notice?

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:41 AM, Ingelheim said:

This. Very much.

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:42 AM, Future Null Infinity said:

I think that she was happy about Jon and then she saw LF, she knew he's plotting something is his mind and that he's a dangerous man and he will never let Jon rule the north because he wants the iron throne, this is why her smile faded by fear for the safety of her brother

And I like to think this.

15 minutes ago, willowbark said:

I think they were purposeful with Jamie this season.  He met the Blackfish, who was disdainful of Jamie, and said he had no honor.  Then Jamie met with Walder Frey, who told him they were peers.  Jamie wants to be peers with great warriors, like the Blackfish, not those like Walder Frey.  And all stemming from his Kingslaying.  So he rides back to Kings Landing to find what Cercei has done.  

I am also intrigued by the fact that Jamie was someone who knew Rhaegar back in the day - I wonder how much Jon may be like him in personality, and if others would notice?

It has occurred to me that that scene in season 1 might be important - the one between Jaime and Jon. Ill have to go back and listen to the dialogue .......

sorry OP slightly off topic. 

On 27/06/2016 at 4:45 PM, Hos the Hostage said:
  1. Jon and Sansa - The show is throwing Sansa/Jon misunderstandings at our face, so I think that Sansa will keep on appearing to be LF's puppet for a while only to eventually turn on LF, and possibly kill him. There is the gianstslayer prophecy she is part of, after all. I think D&D are building up their tensions only to show Sansa's ultimate loyalty to House Stark as a pleasant surprise. It won't be an easy ride for Jon and Sansa in S7, bu I see a glimmer of hope for them because after S6, almost everyone expect Sansa to betray Jon. So naturally it won't happen.

Is this true though? At least here (and over time, I´ve seen things spread from here to the internet as a whole), almost everyone seems to expect that Sansa won´t truly betray Jon, that their attrition wil just be some sort of filler while the great hero Jon Targaryen prepares himself to save everyone from the White Walkers.

Jaime's look to Cersei was like :Aerys, is that you?

Is he sharping his knife or sword yet? He's going to take her out. Then might be pardoned by Daeny with Tyrion's help.

Sansa to Littlefinger: You were right, he stole my kingdom.

Sophie mentioned that LF might be more trustworthy than she thought. The whole idea of them backstabbing Jon sounds likely but LF got to go. I mean WW are not here to negotiate. As D&D said they're not villains but simply death. They don't know any other way. We know that Jon is far more important for this plot than Sansa or Littlefinger. It will be Jon or Littlefinger for Sansa. Liam Cunnigham said it won't be pretty. Their relationship might be done after this mess with Littlefinger.

Have you noticed the moment? The North has started to remember and the North was pledging its allegiance to Jon. ALL of them except Littlefinger (the Vale). This is where she realises that now Jon has a treacherous enemy, a powerful too, who was critical in the Battle of the Bastards.

That's what her look means.

I don't think Jon wanted to be King. He wanted to rally the North against the Others and then Lyanna Mormont stood up and things just got waaaaay out of hand. You can tell he was shocked and looked at Sansa like "wtf just happened and what am I supposed to do now?"  Sansa looked back at him with this smile like "I'm proud of you and this is what you're meant to do." And then she sees Littlefinger and her smile fades away because she is the only person in the room who realizes how dangerous he is and she's thinking "oh shit I have to deal with this mo-fo eventually."  Love it cause Sansa is looking at Littlefinger like Littlefinger looks at everyone else but he doesn't see it cause Sansa has always been his blindspot. He's going to try to manipulate her next season and she is going to pretend to go along until she secures the Vale. Then she is going to Littlefinger him. Lol. Can't wait. 

Anyone notice before Lyanna Mormont says "I don't care if he's a bastard", Sansa is smiling, thinking she'll be declared Queen in the North, yet when Lady Mormont declares Jon the King, her smile instantly fades? And only when Jon gazes back at her she only smiles? Sansa looks like she's feigning happiness. If they are willing to go forth with Sansa becoming more of a mastermind, she might conspire against Jon. When and if R+L=J becomes somehow known to everyone, Sansa will convince the Northern lords to reject and exile Jon as a Targaryen abomination, and therefore, the exiled Jon will find refuge in his closest family member at the moment, Daenerys (This way also Dany could use Jon as a means to have a rightful claim to conquer the North). I don't see Sansa finding out that Jon is a Targaryen will sit well with her, especially how he is pretty much stealing her own rightful title. She's a trueborn Stark, born from Eddard and Catelyn, yet Jon is a Targaryen bastard born after Rhaegar raped (cause that's what Sansa and everyone else believe in Westeros) her aunt Lyanna. Why should he have rule of the North, when two trueborn children of Ned and Catelyn are known to be alive and well and one of them is a male no less (Jon knows about Bran from S4 after Sam told him)? There is surely a sibling rivalry brewing... or a cousin rivalry I guess. It wouldn't be as interesting if it was just Baelish plotting in the background and just Sansa always telling him to stop plotting. So, there's definitely something happening there. Sansa could become a sort of villain maybe? It would be very interesting, really and it sounds like something that would happen in the series. Maybe some Northern Civil War will happen where some lords support Jon and others support Sansa? That would be interesting as well. So, really anything could happen.

As for Cersei and Jaime, the valonqar (Jaime, born a minute after Cersei) will kill the Mad Queen as he did with the Mad King. It is known. The story pretty much writes itself, really. Unless D&D (or even GRRM) pull the rug from under us for some reason and have something else happen, it's the most logical way the story will go.

Archived