Did anyone else notice Benjen?

Drogo_1

After re watching the finale, The scene with Benjen leaving Bran and Meera just shook me up a bit. I got a huge feeling that Benjen is not a servant of the three eyed raven but rather a servant of the night king. He led them to the wall gave a little speech about why he can't cross the wall then gave bran a really strange long look and left. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the Night Kings way to have bran unintentionally bring down the wall.

Not seeing that. He is essentially seeing any of his family for the final time to go and fight a hopeless battle that will see him dying alone and probably horribly in the cold north. You aren't out in left field but Bran's mark simply let's the Night King through the wall and in so doing he breaks the barrier like he did at the tree-cave. The Watch doesn't have enough men to guard all the gates and they just walk right through. No Wall coming down required.

There is also the part where the Night King is simply waiting for Winter and already has a way to deal with The Wall.  

1 hour ago, Drogo_1 said:

After re watching the finale, The scene with Benjen leaving Bran and Meera just shook me up a bit. I got a huge feeling that Benjen is not a servant of the three eyed raven but rather a servant of the night king. He led them to the wall gave a little speech about why he can't cross the wall then gave bran a really strange long look and left. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the Night Kings way to have bran unintentionally bring down the wall.

Actually I was thinking on the same line since yesterday. All the epic stories have some kind of traitor amongst the good folk. In LotR, it was Saruman. In Harry Potter, it was Wormtail so how come no traitor in GOT. Presuming that Night King can think and talk, unlike other WW and wights, then it can be true that he sent Benjen to Bran.

But the only hole in this plot is that if this was the case, 3ER would had told it to Bran instantly after he got the mark.

1 minute ago, atonement said:

But the only hole in this plot is that if this was the case, 3ER would had told it to Bran instantly after he got the mark.

I disagree, my understanding is that the 3er has seen everything that has happened and will happen. He could simply have kept that information from Bran so he can discover it in another way that will further the goal of defeating the Night King.

1 minute ago, Drogo_1 said:

I disagree, my understanding is that the 3er has seen everything that has happened and will happen. He could simply have kept that information from Bran so he can discover it in another way that will further the goal of defeating the Night King.

Yes. Also 3ER may believe that the wall should come down so the threat of WW can end for good. I think that too much wise guys who are high on the idea of "The Greater Good" do not give much importance to lives of individuals like Dumbledor.

5 minutes ago, atonement said:

Actually I was thinking on the same line since yesterday. All the epic stories have some kind of traitor amongst the good folk. In LotR, it was Saruman. In Harry Potter, it was Wormtail so how come no traitor in GOT. Presuming that Night King can think and talk, unlike other WW and wights, then it can be true that he sent Benjen to Bran.

You don't consider LittleFinger or Roose to be traitors? Maybe a few Night Watchmen? 

I do agree that Bran going past the wall allows the Night King to do so. Benjen has to know that. Not sure why Bran hasn't figured it out. 

1 hour ago, Drogo_1 said:

I'm not sure I see this, but it would be a crazy twist! I was really confused when he rode off with the horse, though, since we know Meera can't carry Bran so it seemed like the was leaving them very much stranded but also telling them to cross The Wall? I do definitely think when Bran crosses all heck will break loose though. (Assuming he can, cause I am still not sure how in the heck Bran and Meera are supposed to actually get anywhere now). 

1 minute ago, missingm said:

You don't consider LittleFinger or Roose to be traitors? Maybe a few Night Watchmen? 

I do agree that Bran going past the wall allows the Night King to do so. Benjen has to know that. Not sure why Bran hasn't figured it out. 

Theon was also traitor by this definition. I am talking about the traitor who belongs to the camp of the biggest enemy. All the other enemies are small and fragile and Westerosis are cowards and greedy so changing sides for money or survival is a common thing in that world.

I didn't see it. 

What I did see, is Benjen confirming that the Wall is going to come down at some point. 

"While the wall stands, the dead cannot pass". 

We know the Night's King can do that whole hand-to-ground-causes-destruction thing. 

The Wall is coming down, and thats how the White Walkers are coming south. 

45 minutes ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

He is clearly working for the Night King because he took the only horse they had leaving Meera to carry Bran on her back untill they reach Castle Black. So cruel.

Why can't Bran just warg an animal to carry them? Maybe there are still some mammoths roaming around.

So... The Night's King almost has Bran killed, but it was all a joke 'cause he actually needs him alive to bring down the wall? So he definitely knew that Hodor was gonna save Bran and them, yeah?

Naw, m8. You're reading into it too much. Benjen is basically Cold Hands.

11 hours ago, Drogo_1 said:

I took it as Benjen knows Bran's destiny and how powerful he is going to be. He wasn't at all worried about leaving them there where he did because he knows Bran will find his way to wherever he needs to go.

With that being said, I also think Benjen knows that once Bran passes through the magical barrier will be gone and the WW can invade. This seems to be part of Bran's destiny as well. Benjen even says to Bran "...the time comes you will meet him (the Nights King), and you'll know what to do".

From BR not telling Bran of the true dangers of the NK touching him in a dream to Benjen not telling Bran that his mark breaks the magical spell on the Wall, is part of his path and there is no changing that. Perhaps this withheld knowledge that we think could have prevented all this from happening to Bran is actually necessary so that Bran can eventually defeat the Nights King/WW in the end. That was my take on their last scene. 

11 hours ago, Drogo_1 said:

Interesting.

I don't think we have much evidence for that yet, BUT, I do think it would be an interesting plot twist.

10 hours ago, Cz-99 said:

So... The Night's King almost has Bran killed, but it was all a joke 'cause he actually needs him alive to bring down the wall? So he definitely knew that Hodor was gonna save Bran and them, yeah?

Naw, m8. You're reading into it too much. Benjen is basically Cold Hands.

Yeah this.

Interesting theory though. We all seem so sure Brans mark will let the WW through but maaaaaybe it doesn't ? Or maybe I'm just wishing for Bran to get to Winterfell and reunite with his siblings lol.   

Maybe the mark only applied to where Bran was at the time.  Assuming Benjen isn't a traitor you'd expect the Night's King would have tracked them down by now if the mark continued to act like the find your iPhone app.  He touched him, saw where he was, went there ... That was that.

The only other explanation was that he only went to kill the 3EC and isn't hostile to Bran, but in that case why do the whites follow them?

On 28-6-2016 at 5:18 AM, tmug said:

I also think Benjen knows that once Bran passes through the magical barrier will be gone and the WW can invade.

I've seen this theory mentioned with some frequency, but is there more to it than equating the wards the Three Eyed Raven put up to guard his abode with the ancient magic that supposedly guards the Wall?

TER: 'He touched you. He knows you are here. He'll come for you.'
Bran: 'But he can't get in.'
TER: 'He can now. His mark is on you.'

That's all that was said in The Door. It's rather vague about the extent of the effects of this mark.

On 27 juni 2016 at 5:56 PM, Drogo_1 said:

Well, Benjens behavior is quite strange to say the least. He's not giving Bran a ton of info. He spent quite some time north of the wall, working for the 3er as he says. He must know something... or he is not who he says he is...

17 hours ago, Anarres said:

I've seen this theory mentioned with some frequency, but is there more to it than equating the wards the Three Eyed Raven put up to guard his abode with the ancient magic that supposedly guards the Wall?

TER: 'He touched you. He knows you are here. He'll come for you.'
Bran: 'But he can't get in.'
TER: 'He can now. His mark is on you.'

That's all that was said in The Door. It's rather vague about the extent of the effects of this mark.

Well if Bran's mark does not allow the WW to invade Westeros past the Wall then no one should really worry about an invasion. That is too simple and puts an end to the upcoming conflict with the WW. 

Maybe Benjen needed to be more specific because we did have a case where a Wight was able to pass through the Wall and attacked Lord Commander Mormont in his chambers.

So is it the Others can't pass the Wall while the Wights can?

Archived