Lyanna casting appreciation

4 minutes ago, Rumy Stark said:

She was really great, especially with just that short scene. I'm hoping we get more flashbacks in future seasons and get to see her more, particularly when she's less..... dying in a pool of blood. 

I agree. Shes cute as a button and id love to see her as Lyanna being...well not dying, and being Lyanna. Maybe pouring wine on a young Benjen's head, or a glimpse of her in regards to the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

It would be great to have flashbacks from before the events of AGoT BUT I don't think they will go there
They don't bother clearing up things from the past if it doesn't affect directly current characters, meaning that knowing Jon's parentage is enough
Most Unsullied still have no clear idea who Rhaegar really is so why bother with clearing up his relationship with Lyanna?

This topic... I agree with you, OP. This was amazing casting! 

Lyanna was dying in that scene. She had just given birth. For all we know, she may have just had a c-section. Even the most beautiful women in the world wouldn't look gorgeous under those circumstances. It's pretty inhumane to expect it of them.

Anyway, fans always get it completely wrong when it came to the level of attractiveness, real or perceived, of Lyanna and Arya in both the show and the books.

First, I think book readers have the luxury of imagining unreal ethereal looking people when they imagine the various book characters. Not only did we hear Arya wasn't pretty enough, people said it about Cersei, Jaime, Catelyn... the list goes on and on. Well, you might find a preternaturally beautiful person, but they might not be able to act at all.

I love what George himself has noted about Maisie's Arya. He's said no, she's not how he imagined Arya, but when he sees her, she IS Arya. I felt the same way about Lyanna.

It would have taken away from the show if Lya or Arya were model chicks. It's actually good that there's a contrast between them and Sansa/Cat, who are said to be more traditional, Southron beauties. You also have to imagine a setting where people aren't saturated with media and people telling them what is and isn't attractive. For heaven's sake, people hardly had mirrors back then, only the very wealthy did. This wasn't the Selfie Age, it was the (magical version of the) Middle Ages. And the show is still filtering that through a 21st century lens -- see previous seasons' talk about women being waxed to an inch of their lives, which is very culturally specific. Also things like makeup, plucking brows, and older characters having all their teeth are anachronistic. 

Interesting which realism we care about, and which we don't.

Finally (and I've said this before), men do love beautiful women, but throughout history, they've also been shown to love interesting women, women who fascinate them for one reason or the other. Lyanna certainly fit that bill, and so does her niece Arya, who was walking around grubby and looking like a boy for several books, is still underage, and nonetheless has clearly caught the attention of a boy or two here and there.

What can I say? There's something about those she-wolves of Winterfell, I guess.

1 hour ago, Johnimus said:

I'll just note here that few women are going to look their best when they're lying in a pool of blood on their deathbeds.

The actress who plays her is stunning. Drop dead gorgeous, and looks just like Lyanna (as I imagine her, at least). https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=aisling+franciosi&oq=Aisling+Francios&gs_l=img.3.0.0l4j0i30l3j0i24l3.19.4083.0.5456.12.9.0.1.1.0.1091.1837.6-1j1.2.0....0...1c.1.64.img..9.2.751.XruCrIHP4BI

That accent, on the other hand? I'd struggle to find a woman with that accent attractive, but the books never mentioned what she sounded like :)

Sorry I just cant agree..

Maybe because I saw someone like Katie McGrath in my mind all along.

I always imagined a woman with some masculine features like good jaws and broad bones.. I ve seen many woman like that. They are damn sexy, though not by general stamdards beautiful.

Somehow, I just cannot come to like a chubby woman as the Lyanna I imagined.

(PS: I never find Maisie beautiful. But she is a cute little kid to me. And at that time, I think she was cast for her acting and not for her looks)

10 hours ago, Daughter of Death said:

Honestly, the casting for Lyanna in this episode was amazeballs. Not only does she resemble Kit a lot but Arya looking like her auntie is totally show canon as well! After the casting of Robert Aramayo as Ned, I wasn't really expecting a bad cast but WOW

http://image.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Screen-Shot-2016-01-14-at-15.04.55.jpg

Wow.  That doesn't even look like the same person as on the show.  They really must have not wanted her too look too beautiful.  You know, while she is bleeding to death after childbirth.

I think the casting of young Ned is terrible.

6 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

She looked like Daenerys to me. I even thought for a second they would go with Daenerys was born at TOJ theory.

I was disappointed she didn't look beautifull. Not trying to be mean but her beauty is supposed to be legendary.  

- but I understand they went for the Maisie look-alike and Maisie doesn't look anything like book Arya or book type Stark.

The whole scene to me seemed lousy and underwhelming so... bummer.

I also thought Lyanna looked much like Emilia Clarke, heck maybe there is something to that. Rhaegar would have the hots for his younger sister, it is known.

Lyanna's lips and eyebrows while lying down in that bed all distressed and sweaty sure looked a lot like Emilia Clarke, both gorgeous I might add.

Perfectly cast. Resembled other show Starks and being very beautiful in Robert's eyes and mine, she gave me the exact right Lyanna vibes that I got from reading about book Lyanna so much that I might picture her from now on when reading the books again. And better still: she did a strong acting performance and had a very charismatic appearance; therefore, even though she had very little screen time, she will be remembered.

3 hours ago, Lyin' Ned said:

People always put Lyanna (and Rhaegar) in a pedestal with those fanarts of otherworldly beauty. 

She was fine. 

It was Ned, not the fans, who referred to Lyanna as 'a child-woman of surpassing loveliness'.  I've always thought of her as vividly, unusually, beautiful.  The actress who played the adult Lyanna seems pretty, cute, but nothing out of the ordinary among attractive young actresses.  I would think that Lyanna Stark would have a more memorable face, whether or not she is dying.

I really love the theory of Lyanna being nothing overly special, and Robert being the only one to truly love her, while Rhaegar "stole" her with his charms, while really only picking her to fulfill his stupid prophecy.

Would be fantastic if he actually were just as mad as his farther, but people not seeing it because he was playing a role living up to the prophecy.

9 minutes ago, spivo said:

I really love the theory of Lyanna being nothing overly special, and Robert being the only one to truly love her, while Rhaegar "stole" her with his charms, while really only picking her to fulfill his stupid prophecy.

Would be fantastic if he actually were just as mad as his farther, but people not seeing it because he was playing a role living up to the prophecy.

That kind of goes against what Ned says - that Robert saw her beauty but not the iron underneath. Of course, Lyanna was supposed to have a more attractive version of Ned's Stark look. Maybe Robert was just looking for Ned with teats.

She looks cute and very much looks like Arya and Jon in the show, with some make up she will be much more prettier. I think it will be enough for some flashback scene. 

What makes me feel a bit funny is that they might cast some funny looking guy to be Rhaegar and we will be here screaming like: "Fxxx shit why? He looks horrible!"

lmao

5 minutes ago, Chib said:

She looks cute and very much looks like Arya and Jon in the show, with some make up she will be much more prettier. I think it will be enough for some flashback scene. 

What makes me feel a bit funny is that they might cast some funny looking guy to be Rhaegar and we will be here screaming like: "Fxxx shit why? He looks horrible!"

lmao

I can only imagine the casting call for Rhaegar. Most beautiful man in Westeros, skilled musician, excellent jouster, good with a sword, well read, able to reflect soulful melancholy, etc. No wonder he didn't make an appearance.

1 minute ago, Wall Flower said:

I can only imagine the casting call for Rhaegar. Most beautiful man in Westeros, skilled musician, excellent jouster, good with a sword, well read, able to reflect soulful melancholy, etc. No wonder he didn't make an appearance.

They will cast some funny looking guy in a wig and fans will cry lmao

Archived