Cersei's Monologue - The Show Stealer

atonement

12 hours ago, Bazil said:

No sadly she outsmarted Margery too, or Margery wouldn't have gone to the Sept either that morning.  Instead Cersei was able to fool all her enemies to be in the same place at the same time.....

True. But Margaery did figure it out. Had the High Sparrow listened to her they at least would've had a chance to run. 

12 hours ago, Johnimus said:

I read that (the reaction to dead Tommen) as her finally giving in fully to her madness. She's embracing it now. Any hint of compassion or love within her has been expunged, for good. She's got one goal now, and it's to bend the world to her will, until the valonquar comes. That look at Jaime at the end, from the Throne - that gave me the chills. I think she knows it's him.

I guess I took issue with it bc of book Cersei (& to a certain extent show Cersei up until this point) truly loves & cares about her kids. You can say a lot about her but that's one thing no one can deny. And her reaction to his death wasn't really consistent with sending the Mountain to make sure Tommen didn't die. It seemed like she only reacted like that bc he committed suicide. I wanted her to really be tormented by his death especially since she inadvertently caused it. After her grief she could have really given into the madness as a result of the grief. It's really a small complaint for what was a great episode.

9 hours ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

I feel like I need to point out, cersei didn't *really* murder anyone. It is fiction(fantasy, even). There's nothing wrong with being interested in the choices and motivations of a bad person when they're not a real person and not doing literal harm.

When a real act of mass murder happened in my country, I was devastated, I cried, called for change. When cersei used wildfire on the sept, I thought it was a good plan and an interesting twist. Because it isn't real. So can we please get off our high horses now? It is entertainment, not real life.

You totally nailed it.

I agree that Cersei is evil personified but in a story where people cheer for LSH, hating Cersei so much does not make sense.

7 hours ago, spivo said:

Cercei is all her farther knew she was, and distrusted her for.

Cornered she lashes out in a violent killing-spree, because she simply does not have the wits to play the game otherwise.

Even the septa thing is typical Cercei, and unlike her farther. Tywin would never have bothered with the septa, unless it served as an example to others afterwards. He never did anything out of personal vengeance, he did what he did to show everyone else that you don't &%#¤&() with a Lannister!

The blowing of the sept was not only heresy, it was also kin-slaying (Kevan) and also murdered a LOT of innocents, both high and low born.

Tywin would have put Tommen under "protection" and then have all Faith Militant captured and crucified around the sept, the High Sparrow put in a dungeon under Casterly Rock till the end of time, and then picked a new High Sparrow who understood not to cross him.

Cercei is the kid who can't make anything pretty herself, and then in turn destroys what the other kids have made.

But yes, it is still good acting :)

You are right in every bit but a bigger problem is Gender. Cersei is a woman and people don't see her much as a threat then they see Tywin or Jaime. A woman in those ages could never intimidate her opponents without some solid evidence of her strength even if she is a Lannister or Queen Regent. And if we add Cersei's pride and desire to get even at any cost in this whole mixture then we will get the recipe of brewing wildfire.

2 hours ago, Balerion the one eared cat said:

Cersei confuses me... I hate her because she's evil, but I love her because she's an interesting character, but I hate her because I don't know what they've been doing this season with making her all sympathetic, but I love her because Lena Headey is awesome... My brain hurts :wacko:

You just mirrored my feelings :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, ummester said:

Show Cersie is better than book Cersie - Lena has brought us the best, most nuanced take on an evil queen ever.

And, I don't care how nasty she is, she is sexy as fuck :) Much more appealing than all the empty headed little girls the show is riddled with.

Totally. She is ten times sexier than all the other girls combined except for Dany. Dany is a very close second.

13 minutes ago, Daske said:

The only thing better than that monologue was her outfit.

Exactly what I thought!

The military-dictator-inspired black freaking dress with a villain cape? HOW AWESOME IS THAT? Not very Westerosi style, but damn, that was a masterpiece.

Interesting that on other topics the term rape is dead serious (married sansa) but here the raping of a cleric by a monster is considered fun. Its like shipping brothers.

You know, if she could do all that, the explosion was almost unnecessary. The kids could kill all her enemies and make it look something else and she obviously could take the nun anytime despite her constant shadowing of the queen. 

Lyanna stole the shadow again, just imagine her in that role.

On 6/27/2016 at 0:52 PM, atonement said:

She is the only truly independent woman in Westeros without any male admirers and dragons. She is evil, no doubt about it but very interesting to watch. If it was not for her, I would had left the show after Tywin's death.

Have you ever heard of this little show called Melrose Place?

If not you should look it up.

Cersei's Marcia Cross in ren faire boots and a corset. Honestly.

And her independence looks like slavery.

A slave to her emotions. A slave to her ignorance.

All the wrong choices.

Whoa.

That's not independence. That's failure.

Marge on the other hand - intelligence. 

8 minutes ago, Lady Lark of the NorthWood said:

I may have missed something along the way, but how did Cersei kill Robert? I thought he was killed by a wild boar, and, the last time I looked, Cersei's not a wild boar.

She had the worst murder plan ever, and it worked.  Lancel got Robert so drunk he missed his boar and was killed.  There is some baseless conjecture that the boar was a Warg.  It is possible, but there is no evidence to support that.  If it was, then it was the greatest murder plan ever.

So barring that, its a pretty silly plan, but it was their fallback after Ned talked Robert out of the melee, where they had planned to off him in Plan A.

2 hours ago, Garse Ironjade Janacek said:

She had the worst murder plan ever, and it worked.  Lancel got Robert so drunk he missed his boar and was killed.  There is some baseless conjecture that the boar was a Warg.  It is possible, but there is no evidence to support that.  If it was, then it was the greatest murder plan ever.

So barring that, its a pretty silly plan, but it was their fallback after Ned talked Robert out of the melee, where they had planned to off him in Plan A.

The worst? I say that was the best plan ever. If it doesn't work, noone notices. You can try that over and over again. What's the worst that can happen?

Robert: Wife! You always give me strong wine! Why are you trying to get me so drunk?!

Cercei: When you're drunk, you let me alone.

Robert: Oh... fair enough.

I think Cercei is an independed woman, but let us not confuse independence with intelligence. Yeah, she made all the wrong choices. But she made them neverheless. Sie ist not a slave, she broke her chains. In a philosophical way, she is a slave of course. There is no true freedom, in the end we are all slaves of a couple of things, even to our genes. But that is not what is important. Society forces its rules upon her and society gets a bloody nose. That is independence. Yeah, society will finally win. A small part of me is sad because of that. Just a small one, because she is clearly evil. I mean... look at her dress! It has even a hidden compartment for poisoned apples!

I don't even say that she is a failure or evil. I don't think she had many true choices. You get a chain when you're born and most of your "choices" are choices like "gimme your money or I shoot you. But hey, you can decide." No, you cannot. And Cercei was a part of that and at some point she began to defend herself. Mainly by doing evil things. Psychologically... I say we have to put her away. She is a crazy scissor-lady and wants to stab people. But I can hardly blame her for that. Structures like those we see in that world tend to have hicups like that. People simply go crazy. Most of the people in those books are psychos in the one or other way. Jamie is empty, Tyrion is compulsive, Sandor has some issues around fire and mountains, Arya... uhm... looney bin is already calling loudly and we could go on. 

On 6/27/2016 at 8:28 PM, Orphalesion said:

She just killed a whole bunch of innocent people in what was basically a terrorist attack simply because two people where somewhat, slightly in her way.

Forgive me if I don't feel like praising the soulless harpy.

Praising  her as a truly independent woman is like saying Ramsay was a prime example of a self-made man. After all he showed so much initiative and agency.

Of course the acting was good, Lena Heady is at least as good an actress as Iwan Rheon. Still doesn't give me anything if its wedged between her mass-murdering her own subjects and leaving Septa Unella to be Gregor's plaything (and we all know what Gregor does to women right?)

hear hear

On 6/27/2016 at 7:16 PM, atonement said:

no one?

Well, I would agree with you in that whole opening sequence, including Cersei's speech to the septa that tortured her, was one of the most memorable in a series with many, many memorable moments and performances. However, Lady Mormont's rally for Jon at the end of the episode was probably my favorite performance of the episode. That little 10-yr-old actress is a real coup for the show.

On 6/27/2016 at 8:20 PM, Cz-99 said:

Nah, I still think Olenna stole the show.

Meh. I so wish it's been Olenna and not Margery that was in the Sept when Cersei made it go kablooey.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Well, I would agree with you in that whole opening sequence, including Cersei's speech to the septa that tortured her, was one of the most memorable in a series with many, many memorable moments and performances. However, Lady Mormont's rally for Jon at the end of the episode was probably my favorite performance of the episode. That little 10-yr-old actress is a real coup for the show.

Meh. I so wish it's been Olenna and not Margery that was in the Sept when Cersei made it go kablooey.

I liked the way Olenna shut down the Sand Snakes though, gave us a good Dorne scene for once.;)

On 6/28/2016 at 7:18 AM, Maxxine said:

I guess I took issue with it bc of book Cersei (& to a certain extent show Cersei up until this point) truly loves & cares about her kids. You can say a lot about her but that's one thing no one can deny. And her reaction to his death wasn't really consistent with sending the Mountain to make sure Tommen didn't die. It seemed like she only reacted like that bc he committed suicide. I wanted her to really be tormented by his death especially since she inadvertently caused it. After her grief she could have really given into the madness as a result of the grief. It's really a small complaint for what was a great episode.

I don't know why people think that screaming and crying is the only way to react to the death of someone you love.  The fact that she is mostly responsible for his death may be exactly why she reacted the way she did.  She is shut down completely..a robot.  Everything has been burned away that was good in her...all that is left is vengeance and wrath.  If she was to allow herself to grieve she would have to face the fact that SHE killed him.  So she blocks everything out and grasps at the only thing there is left for her - to take power and pour out her wrath on everyone that ever hurt her or those she loved. 

Plus, it has been sinking in that the prophecy is actually unfolding, and that she is going to lose everything.  Knowing that is your future, that you will lose everything you hold precious, is a 100% bleak, hopeless future.  For someone like Cersei, you can do what she did, or you can kill yourself.   

the late cersei always seemed so bitter, and somewhat lethargic. this scene brought her back in shape. who wouldnt feel revived after a bit of ice cold served revenge. we all saw it coming septa, but you had to stick to your childish beliefs...

On 29.6.2016 at 5:15 AM, Lady Lark of the NorthWood said:

I may have missed something along the way, but how did Cersei kill Robert? I thought he was killed by a wild boar, and, the last time I looked, Cersei's not a wild boar.

At least in the books she ordered Lancel to serve Robert strongwine during the boar-hunt, hoping that would happen what finally really happened.

So she did not kill him personally, but one might say she arranged or caused his death.

On 6/27/2016 at 8:53 PM, atonement said:

I am not saying that she has the most high moral fiber. I said she is interesting to watch. Considering all the other women, she faced more problems alone than anyone else can claim. She is arrogant and ruthless, no doubt in that and deserved to get punished but this is also true that she has faced many threats to the lives of her children. What had Catleyn Stark done to the wife of Walder Frey despite of knowing that she was innocent? A deranged mother can do anything. It is a pity that she had to see all her children die which was her biggest fear. I am not asking to feel sympathy for her but sometimes i think if she was not a daughter of Tywin, she could be better. Growing up without a mother, an insensitive father, an unusual love affair, and then forced to get married to someone else, she had to be a villain at the end.

Regarding the bolded

1.  Danny's family w/the exception of her twisted brother is killed while she was an infant (Cersei lost her Mom at a young age).  Married off at a young age and her Husband and unborn child both die (Cersei chose to only have her brother father her children and chose to kill her Husband off before he was informed).  A King in a far away land is trying to get Danny killed most of her life since (C's Daddy and brother/lover protect her and kill if needed to cover up for her actions). 

2.  Sansa's family including both parents and some siblings killed off while she was a young age.  To be married to a sadist but then switch for drunk who's family killed yours, later marries another sadist who abuses her.  No known kids, her closest powerful "ally" is LF ... . LF set her up for Murdering the King and has the Queen trying to kill her.

3. Arya, family like Sansa's killed off.  Been alone for quite some time and groomed to become a cold blooded killer w/no sense of self.

4. Caster's wives.  Do I need to elaborate?

5. Shae, and various brothel workers?

6. Female Slaves of the East?

7. W. Fray's wives?

8. Rheagar's wife's Mountain treatment?

9.  Freefolk/Wildling women now serving in the Dead army after who know's how rough a life including the Chief who was cutdown by a bunch of dead children?

10.  Shireen, burned alive by parents order?

Edit:  To OT, I did like the scene as awful as her character has fallen it suits the story and is done very well.

Edit2:  11. Tyrion's 1st wife Tywin treatment?

Archived