SPOILERS: The Tyrell situation

The Florents have always been after Highgarden. Since they were not introduced with Stannis, this might be an opportune moment. But considering the pace of the series right now, I doubt it, and it will probably become irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Jon will give it to Tormund once he takes the Iron Throne. :P

5 minutes ago, OceanRunner said:

Who then should take over specifically? Who has greater claim? I would think Redwyne? 

Oakhearts, Rowans, and Florents all have a blood tie claim to the original house, House Gardener so probs ones of these houses maybe...

The question for us is: How much do the folks of the Reach care about their Gardener heritage? I think the jury is out on that one. But if they care a lot, I think you're on the right track.

Given the fact that the Redwynes have Olenna in a position of power already and have THE fleet, I think they're in the best position, especially given that a fleet is more relevant than an army with the advent of Euron's Ironborn. The people will want leadership that can protect them, and the Redwynes have the ability to do so.

All that said, another potential solution to the power vacuum would be to form an extralegal council of leaders akin to the Lords Declarant of the Vale.

But let's be honest. The writers of this show aren't going to answer this question when they could put more violence up on the screen. And honestly, most people I know who watch this show aren't like me. They don't give a damn about succession and other legal questions. They care about characters and plot.

1 hour ago, AryaSansa said:

How did Olenna know that Cersei was the one that killed them all?  Lannisters and Cersei's son died too.

I think this is a big question going into next season. We don't know if Cersei put out a press release stating that A: she burned everyone so don't mess with her, or B: "Hey, everybody, old mad Areys left a cache of wildfire down there and it just blew up. Accidently. With all my rivals inside. So..... I guess I'm in charge!"

If Cersei/Qyburn did lie about it, how many lords will buy it? Certainly not Olenna, nor Sansa, LF, Jamie, Varys, Tyrion, and probably not Dorne. 

The reception of Cersei's coronation is going to be a big storyline next season, I think. 

This topic will probably not ever be brought up again on the show.  The only reason Olenna even brought it up in this episode was so they can give her a reason to want Vengeance against Cersei.  They needed a reason for Oleena to side with Dany, so this was the shows way of doing so.

I don't think they'll ever even touch on the Tyrells being wiped out again, honestly.  There are surely  more Tyrells running around, but they are all irrelevant to the show and will not be mentioned again, so we can just assume that they will take over the house.

Only Randall Tarly, of the reach lords, has been introduced. So I'll suspect he'll try to take it now that the Tyrells are extinct. But as long as the queen of Thorns is in power, no one will try anything. She is way to smart to be outwitted by any lord.

Lord Redwyne is married to the sister of Mace, thus has the best claim.

I agree with the general consensus for that, at least for the show, Olenna's heir isn't going to matter and will probably be ignored.  All that matters now is Olenna is pissed and House Lannister is to blame.  There are probably other Tyrells.  Even if you discount all of Olenna's grandchildren, her husband had brothers and at least one of them has legit surviving issue.  So her branch would be extinguished, but a Tyrell would still rule the Reach in the form of one of her grand nephews.

2 minutes ago, Rory Snow said:

Isn't there a Garlan Tyrell, brother to Loras and Margaery? I thought they also had a brother that was lame but still fully capable of ruling and having children. Am I off base? Or are those perhaps book characters only?

Garlan is Mace's second child who is a one of the elite warriors of the realm. Willas is the oldest and lame one. Both are book only characters.

From what I recall, Olenna had other granddaughters in the show besides Margaery, so the Tyrells can't be extinct.

5 minutes ago, Rory Snow said:

Isn't there a Garlan Tyrell, brother to Loras and Margaery? I thought they also had a brother that was lame but still fully capable of ruling and having children. Am I off base? Or are those perhaps book characters only?

Book only, there is no mention of Willas or Garlan.

3 hours ago, OceanRunner said:

@Warsaw Did they state that in the show that the tyrell line is extinct? For all we know we could be introduced to highgarden in season 7 which I think will happen, Highgarden will be taken over by Garlan or Willas as officially Willas and Garlan Tyrell exist in HBO show canon in the family tree but yes they were cut from the show and their status as Alive so if the show adds them then they could take control. Dany will most likely landfall in Dorne and travel up, I assume this due to the Season 7 location in spain for battle scenes, if she lands in dorne then she would travel up through highgarden and possibly marry Willas or Garlan as Ollena would negotiate a strong alliance and thus see Tyrell line grow strong (as their motto state) again, seeing as Dorne doesnt have anyone to marry off to dany. The most plausible thing I believe to happen only if these characters are added though Ollena has never mentioned them before and therefore would be a plot hole to cover up. Idk just theorizing here. 

What do you think?

Garlan is married with Leonette. If they ever introduce his character (which I doubt, I think at the most he might be mentioned), I don't think they would cut off his wife.

8 minutes ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

cause she is smart and can put one and one together.

But you can't lead plan a full strategy based on guesses.  I guess Margaery had the same sixth sense that let her predict that Cersei was going to blow the whole place up.

3 hours ago, OceanRunner said:

if she lands in dorne then she would travel up through highgarden and possibly marry Willas or Garlan as Ollena would negotiate a strong alliance and thus see Tyrell line grow strong

There's no reason for Dany to marry a Tyrell, they're already hers. If or when she marries, it will be to establish a new alliance, that's why Jon Snow makes so much sense.

5 hours ago, Rose Tyler said:

Willas Tyrell is still alive, Olenna was running from the HS not Cercei and Highgarden controls the food for most of the south so they are still powerful.

Willas Tyrell doesn't exist in the TV series, I think. Loras was Lord Mace's heir in the TV series.

24 minutes ago, AryaSansa said:

But you can't lead plan a full strategy based on guesses.  I guess Margaery had the same sixth sense that let her predict that Cersei was going to blow the whole place up.

They know what Cersei is capable of, after Ned Stark...
Knowing how much Cersei longs the Iron Throne, if you were in Olenna's place (who was part of the Small Council meetings and saw all of Cersei's reactions towards her family and others who tried to put her away), wouldn't you suspect if the place where she was supposed to be blows up and everyone die? Everyone except Cersei and her son of course.

As for Margaery, same.

Archived