Who are the top 7 fighters of the north?

Marcus corvinus

Other than the Greatjon, I don't think any of the above makes the list, to be honest. In truth, we are not given much information on Northern fighters. This is largely because the North does not have tourneys, so other than in war and in the training yard it seems there is precious little opportunity for fighters to earn a reputation.

The Greatjon is famed throughout Westeros as a formidable warrior. I am sure that in the 20,000 strong Northern army there are a hundred or more unnamed warriors better than the likes of Jorah Mormont, Ned Stark, Rickard Karstark etc. We just don't know their names.

2 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Other than the Greatjon, I don't think any of the above makes the list, to be honest.

I'd agree with that. The Umbers are just huge, which usually makes you a good warrior in Westeros. I'd say there's a gap between folks like the Starks and your average person because they're castle trained. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

I'd agree with that. The Umbers are just huge, which usually makes you a good warrior in Westeros. I'd say there's a gap between folks like the Starks and your average person because they're castle trained. 

But remember, If Roose Bolton has 4000 men, of which 1000 are heavy horse, then all 1000 are the equivalent of knights. Meaning they are castle trained. Similiarly, many of the infantry will be castle trained warriors too, having served in garrisons and as men at arms for various lords.

So there are ten thousand or more castle trained warriors in the North alone. Some obviously better trained than others, but I don't think being the lord of a Great House necessarily makes you inherently more talented than any of these other castle trained men. The greatest warrior in the North could be a random swordsman serving House Bolton, Dustin or Flint of Widow's Watch, for all we know.

2 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Similiarly, many of the infantry will be castle trained warriors too, having served in garrisons and as men at arms for various lords.

I'd still say there's a gap. High borns are trained from the time they're old enough to swing, a soldier was probably a farmer for his first decade at least. Northern horse doesn't seem to have a squire system so they wouldn't have as long of training. Plus the high born could afford better armor, which can be a huge difference. 

1 minute ago, Lord Vance II said:

I'd still say there's a gap. High borns are trained from the time they're old enough to swing, a soldier was probably a farmer for his first decade at least. Northern horse doesn't seem to have a squire system so they wouldn't have as long of training. Plus the high born could afford better armor, which can be a huge difference. 

Indeed. That's why so many lords feature among the top warriors. But consider that every knight has been trained since he was a boy to be a warrior. And he likely engages in far more actual fighting than the Lord of a Great House. So in my view there is no reason why your average Household Knight is not as well trained as a High Lord. 

Archived