Final thoughts on Season 6.

Channel4s-JonSnow

Ok so now Season 6 is over, what are your final thoughts? ( Even though I can guess! )

My personal opinion is that it was a slight improvement on Season 5, which I still thought was good, but that the show has been hurt by the decision to end so early. 

This season contained many fantastic moments (Hodor, BotB, Jon resurrection, Mad Cercei, Sandor) but also quite a few clunkers ( Euron, Sandsnakes, Sams family, any speech involving Dany). Its made for a real up and down season that never really got into its stride or managed to build up a head of steam towards its finales. While the final episodes were fantastic, they could have been made better had there been more in the previous episodes setting them up.

I loved the battle of the bastards, it was fantastic, but why was there so little time given to Jon and co going round the North, it felt like the most economical way of doing it as possible, and so when it came to the battle, it didn't have the emotional heft it should have. I could say the same of Jon's resurrection. While I loved the scenes themselves.. there wasn't enough build up, it happened all too quickly and then there was no aftermath at all, Jon seemes relatively unchanged ( although you can tell from Kits performance thats not quite true)

This season mostly just had problems with pacing, on their own each episode was actually pretty good, but taken as a whole you have to wonder why the first few episodes felt so rushed, and the last set all seemed to just settle down and take their time. Why was that lack of balance there. Possibly its too much content for too few episodes, too many plot points that need to be ticked off to get the story working.

Either way I'm looking forward to the next season more than ever now.

I actually really like season 6 and it had four of the very best ever episodes (Home, The Door, BotB and Winds of Winter), at times it felt rushed or disjointed but I would rate it in my top three seasons.  Season 5 isn't too bad on re-watch but I thought this year was a huge improvement.

I made a point to not read past the first line of the OP before posting, so here goes:

Better than season 5, but still much worse than 1-4. The last episode was the highlight with relatively few issues, and several genuinely nicely done scenes (mostly KL), but it can't erase the massive and/or numerous problems of the rest of the season.

I can't list all the problems I've had this season or try to decide which are the biggest ones. Aside from the finale, the good bits of the season would be Hodor, Lyanna Mormont, Tommen (surprisingly) and the ToJ fight choreography aside from the dual-wielding and trite ending. The in-vision death of the 3ER was a nice touch, too.

Spoilers

The only things I didn't like are... 

Sam and Gilly: (Look, I don't like his character and don't find their story interesting. If he is essential to the end game. Fine, but don't give him so much screentime. Just show him leave Castle Black and him arriving in Oldtown(?). I hope half of that episode was to introduce his badass father and he gets a larger part in season 7,8.)

Arya: (I didn't expect her to show up at Walder Frey's. She has been getting her ass kicked for six seasons and now she killed A LORD and his sons without problems. Being able to change your face can only get you so far but now she is the new super assassin Jaqen H'gar and probably won't have any problems to kill off Cersei or Jamie if it comes to that. Now there is no depth to her character and only badassery and sadistic ways to kill off her enemies. I bet she is going to turn into that sweet little girl from season 1 when she reunites with Jon Snow. I didn't like her Braavos storyline. I think she should have been killed off at the end of season 4.)

Sansa: (I like Sansa. But there has been some sloppy writing I feel. In the beginning of the season she was like we have to get back to Winterfell to rescue our brother. AND now she was naahhh... We can't save him, let's not even try. And the Vale army and how D&D handled that I didn't like.)

I also feel like the show has left what once made it famous. That the good side don't always win especially when the evil side is stronger. But this season has only been feel-good feelings. And the show is too much Disney. I bet it's going to end with Jon and Daeneryes getting married and killing off the remaining bad guys Cersei, Jamie etc. and finally they face the WW threat and win. I hope D&D are giving us false hope and take it away the next seasons. 

The last thing I didn't like is everything is predictable. Everything from Jon's resurrection to Vale army saving the day and to Cersei burning her enemies. Where are the twists? Where are the plans that didn't go as planned? Where are the bad guys that fucks up for the heroes so that they have to adjust their plans.

PS: I haven't read they books yet (not a salty bookreader) and won't until the show is finished. Also I hope you understand my points and reasoning even though my English is limited.

I'm also looking forward to season 7 and I loved the season finale. My only wish is that Daenerys' plot armor is gone. They only need her dragons in the great war to come.

Season 6 was for me an definite improvement over Season 5 which I did not like. The visuals this season were stunning and have improved a lot with the bigger budget.  I prefer season 1,3 and 4 to season 6, which ties with season 2 in my ranking.Overall S6 was a mixed bag of good and mediocre episodes, it did have problems with  pacing at times. Blackfish, Rickon, Osha and Shaggy basically returned to die without much or in the case of Rickon any character development, which felt rushed, and it seems that they gave the screentime to Tyrion, Missandei and Grey Worm instead, I don't agree with this decision. I also expected Bloodraven and the remaining CotF to last a bit longer. Compared to the other seasons, it was a bit lacking in the acting department. The earlier seasons had Charles Dance, Michelle Fairley, Stephen Dillane or Jack Gleeson who were all pretty memorable, I don't think Kit or Emilia are as compelling to watch. I like many others did adore Lyanna Mormont, who was probably my favourite this season.

I guess that my final verdict is that this season was not as great as it is made out to be in the media but it was still pretty good TV entertainment.

I believe it was better than two previous seasons but plot consistency started to crumble towards the end. I see no justification to all this hasty cutting of edges with the plot, when at the same time they sacrifice screen time and resources to include more pointless violence. I've heard rumors that the budget for the next season will be halved due to Brexit - considering how they've spent most of their money this season on making the worst episode ever - this is actually a good thing.

It was OK. Better than last season surely.

Lazy writing, plot holes, questionable character motivations, questionable story decisions, and some pointless plot elements bogged it down quite a bit. There were still some good moments, writing-wise. The production value needs no comment. The last two episodes surely saved this season and made it worthwhile. Shit was finally happening and gears were starting to turn, which is really the only good thing the show has over the books at this point: it doesn't linger on storylines and build-up as much as the books do. It just gets right to it. Dany is finally invading Westeros, R+L=J is pretty much confirmed, the Starks got revenge over the Boltons and the Freys, the "golden crowns, golden shrouds" prophecy has come to fruition, Mad Queen Cersei finally happened, we know Hodor's backstory etc. Point is, the show gave us pay off and isn't stalling, which was the best thing about this season and its finale. In addition, it's better to see something than GRRM releasing nothing for 5 years. No offense to the man, he's still a tremendous writer, and the fact that he's taking his time with his work instead of rushing it for a quick buck is great and all, but 5 years is a pretty long time. There's finally progression going on, even if it is another writer writing it, and even if it is most likely poorer in quality than what's going to come in book form.

It isn't really the best season. It's better than S5, but that doesn't say too much. Seasons 1,2,3 and 4 are still better really for me. But, in relation to everything else on now, it's still damn good TV. I enjoyed it, even with its many flaws. And also, for the first time in 2 years, I am very eagerly waiting for the next season of the show, as opposed to the finales for seasons 4 and 5 which made feel a little bit down for what going to happen next.

I actually think the show is right to end in 13-15 episodes.  They have shown, again and again and again, that they are not good at story telling, that they cannot keep their own writing and plotting straight within the context of the show.

What are they good at?  Spectacle and big moments.  So, 10+ more episodes of spectacle and big moments that close the story is exactly playing to their strengths, and quite frankly, what the audience also prefers.  More people watch the show now ever, even though it now literally contradicts itself within the span of 2 or 3 episodes.

4 hours ago, JonSnowed said:

I actually really like season 6 and it had four of the very best ever episodes (Home, The Door, BotB and Winds of Winter), at times it felt rushed or disjointed but I would rate it in my top three seasons.  Season 5 isn't too bad on re-watch but I thought this year was a huge improvement.

100% agree. 

There were some serious issues this season with narrative inconsistency and the pacing was occasionally iffy, but overall it was a really enjoyable season and it was actually ENJOYABLE in ways that previous seasons weren't, necessarily. Plus the four eps you listed are some of the strongest of the series. I think esp coming off Season 5 it felt like overall a win. 

33 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I actually think the show is right to end in 13-15 episodes.  They have shown, again and again and again, that they are not good at story telling, that they cannot keep their own writing and plotting straight within the context of the show.

What are they good at?  Spectacle and big moments.  So, 10+ more episodes of spectacle and big moments that close the story is exactly playing to their strengths, and quite frankly, what the audience also prefers.  More people watch the show now ever, even though it now literally contradicts itself within the span of 2 or 3 episodes.

This is also a good point. 

I was really disappointed by s6, and thought it was the worst season. There where lots of plot holes, things not making much sense (Yes there was the Battle of Bastards which I liked), killing of characters for the hell of it, rushing through things. I felt D&D made a real mess of things this season, and wonder how they are going to get out of this mess. 

I think that even though objective quality is impossible to determine and is nothing but a consensus of valid opinions, that there is a difference between the quality of something, and your enjoyment of it, i.e. you may like Katy Perry more than Tchaikovsky and that's fine, but arguing that her music is of a higher quality is simply not true.

With that out of the way, I really, really like this season. It's kind of all over the place. The Red Woman (S06E01) was not good. Short, poorly-paced and Dorne-filled. I chalked it up to being the season premier and that it would get much better, and thankfully I was right. Episodes 2 (Home), 4 (Book of the Stranger), 5 (The Door), 9 (Battle of the Bastards) and 10 (The Winds of Winter) are great, with the latter three being among the best episodes the show has ever done. Episode 3 (Oathbreaker), 6 (Blood of My Blood) and 7 (The Broken Man) are in the middle in terms of overall show quality and episode 8 (No One) is down there with The Red Woman as some of the worst show episodes. So, yes, a very inconsistent season, where the lows are very low but the highs are also very high.

The worst parts of the season for me were Dorne (but thankfully the disaster was in only the first episode and didn't clutter the remaining of the season and I actually quite liked Dorne's appearance in the finale, the first time I didn't roll my eyes at the Sand Snakes) and Arya (the troupe was good, as was her killing Walder Frey, but the Waif's pointless antagonism and the parkour stuff was just bad). 

King's Landing and Daenerys were overall good but poorly structured and paced, with all of the important stuff happening in the last two episodes and prior to that one important moment for each arc (Jaime and the Tyrell army at the Sept and Dany killing the Khals). Everything aside from that before the last two episodes was just stretching it out. Dany, for example, could have easily had her episode 1 and 2 scenes in the same episode, as well as episode 5 and 6 scenes and episode 8 and 9 scenes, but that would mean she only appears in 5 episodes, though I wouldn't have a problem with that. Have her appear in episode 1 where she meets the Khals and arrives in Vaes Dothrak, have her appear again in episode 4 where she kills the Khals, but extend the scene so that Drogon shows up after the temple burns down and have her give her episode 6 speech then. Then she would appear again in episode 7 journeying to Meereen and sending Jorah away, and then flying on Drogon to Meereen in episode 9 and winning the battle. Once more in episode 10 sailing away and that's it, you've condensed her arc from 8 to 5 episodes. 

Anyways, the North was the highlight for me, Bran, Jon and Sansa were easily the best part of the season, from the Night King and the flashbacks and visions to Jon's resurrection and departure from the Night's Watch to the Battle of the Bastards and Sansa's revenge.

Jaime and Sam were fine, nothing particularly great or poor. 

Now back to the first paragraph of this post. I think S1 and S4 are better, and I like them more than this season, but this season is easily better than the worst S5, and around the same level as S2 and S3, if not slightly better.

The music, production design and acting are for the most part superb. The directing and cinematography of the last two episodes was excellent.

But just like last season, the show is let down by atrocious writing. While individual scenes are done well, as a whole it seems to always fall apart. For example, I should be fist pumping when Jon is declared the King in the North, not face palming in irritation that they're completely ignoring Sansa for no reason.

I felt it was very good. Much better than Season 5. The thing is, I often complain about many things, but that has more to do with the overall quality decrease (since Seasons 1 - 4 were fantastic and much, much better) than objective quality of the season itself, which I feel is great. I still do love the series, and it still gives me chills.

Archived