Game of Rip-offs

TwiceBorn

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:03 AM, thehandwipes said:

Some movies are certainly worth stealing from paying homage to.  There's nothing wrong with trying to mimic a powerful vibe from a well done scene.  But the Ida suicide and Leaf's last stand are just blatant theft. 

Those two are very different to me, the Ida scene is definitely more of an argument for "theft" because its shot in such a similar fashion but the Aliens scene really isn't, rather it takes the basic premise of a load of monsters coming down a tunnel and someone blowing themselves up with a grenade to stop them for awhile but is obviously shot very differently.

Visurally I think the Battle of the Bastards has much more of Peter Jackson's LOTR about it than it does Cold Mountain even if the latter features more of a crush.

I don't see what the problem is here.  That Cersei/KL was inspired by GF was very clear to any fan of the latter - I said as much immediately after the episode, on this forum (though, as I said then, the actual results resemble Joey Zasa's helicopter gambit in 3 more than the baptism scene).  But some of these "rip-offs" depend on one's own perspective.  I thought the Waif smacked of T-100/Robert Patrick, and Ramsay using his archers on his own men was right out of Braveheart/Longshanks.. 

But, that probably is partly due to the fact I really like both those movies.  Really, ANY middle age-type battle I'm going to compare to Braveheart and LOTR, whether I want to or not, because those are my frames of reference.  Just as any war movie I'm going to compare (and thus be more inclined to find "rip offs") to Apocalypse Now or FMJ.  Hell, I'm a big fan of Aliens, but I didn't make the Leaf connection until viewing this thread - probably because that type of scene has been used in a number of things I've seen (and I'm not even sure Aliens was the first).  Frankly, my first thought as she was doing that was (jokingly) "terrorist!"

Point is:  Good writers borrow, great writers steal.  (That quote was stolen from Mark Twain....or T.S. Eliot...or Oscar Wilde...or Aaron Sorkin).

A big issue I would say is that GoT is arguably the most cinematic show we've seen in recent years in terms of its visuals and set pieces but your talking 3-5 films worth of content a year(especially the last 2-3 seasons), to expect 100% originality is asking a lot.

On June 30, 2016 at 3:03 AM, Kusanagi said:

Paying homage is fine. Nonetheless, I don't find the piano sequence Godfather-esque, as it is so weak and lack of emotion. The piano notes repeat themselves without providing the audience any emotional anchor, whereas the latin chants and organ setups a moral contrast and something ominous to come. The sequence feels like some film school project, and executed jarringly.

That said, the Battle of Bastard is a carbon copy of both Battle of Blackwater and LOTR's Helm's Deep. Take away the some good looking visual stuns, all is left is an old and tired narrative cliche.

Yes! The piece is OK on its own, but it just didn't fit in with GoT or the emotions of the scene it played over.

BTW, I think a lot of this falls on Miguel and it's a reason I'm not as high on him as everyone else. In the episode of True Detective S2 he directed, he tried to mimic Brian DePalma in a sequence where a detective goes undercover in a brothel with some classical music playing on the soundtrack. Like the King's Landing sequence, it fell completely flat for me. I'm so annoyed that he convinced Ramin to use the piano and create that completely out of place musical piece just so he could imitate The God Father or whatever. Ruined the scene for me.

Everyone borrows from everyone.  Sure, GOT copies the Helm's Deep battle.  But LOTR's also copied from The Battle of Carthage from Roman history.  Everything from LOTR, to GOT, to The Godfather, to whatever else is inspired from another movie/event in history.  Heck, 90% of ASOIAF is completely borrowed from European History.

So I really don't see the big deal with any of it.  Call it Stealing, Inspired, Borrowing...whatever.  The fact is, most stories and shows are just layers upon layers of borrowed material from other/older sources.

Archived