Game of Rip-offs

TwiceBorn

48 minutes ago, Ferocious Veldt Roarer said:

If GOT ripped off "Ida" with the suicide scene, then "Ida" in turn ripped off "Lethal Weapon".

Or maybe somebody jumping out of a window to kill himself isn't all that revolutionary and unique, so we could talk about anyone being ripped off there.

There's this tiny difference between shooting someone jumping out of a window and shooting the window, with person leaving the scene and returning only to jump out of it as means of increasing the dramatic effect. Since you don't even discern window from balcony, I'm not surprised this might have escaped you.

Can't tell if ur joking or not...

Ida is not the first movie to have a person kill themselves. There have been more battle scenes in more movies than everyone on this site can list. Besides the general idea of killing enemies, the Godfather scene has nothing in common with Cersei's revenge. 

With the absolute wealth of fiction there is, it is utterly impossible to create something that doesn't have similiarities to something already made. 

7 minutes ago, dsug said:

Can't tell if ur joking or not...

Ida is not the first movie to have a person kill themselves. There have been more battle scenes in more movies than everyone on this site can list. Besides the general idea of killing enemies, the Godfather scene has nothing in common with Cersei's revenge. 

With the absolute wealth of fiction there is, it is utterly impossible to create something that doesn't have similiarities to something already made. 

I can't tell if your joking or not...

Tommen's suicide is basically a carbon copy of the scene from Ida.  As is Leaf's last stand from Aliens.

With Cold Mountain and Godfather its more lifting a few ideas than a blatant ripoff.

I doubt D&D were actively trying to copy Indy and T2 (unless they really enjoy making me laugh) but that's the way they came across to me.

5 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

In several behind the scenes the show did they have discuss on drawing inspiration from movie scenes for what they did in the show.  

I do not understand why it need to be phrased as rip-off.

Some movies are certainly worth stealing from paying homage to.  There's nothing wrong with trying to mimic a powerful vibe from a well done scene.  But the Ida suicide and Leaf's last stand are just blatant theft. 

Just now, thehandwipes said:

Some movies are certainly worth stealing from paying homage to.  There's nothing wrong with trying to mimic a powerful vibe from a well done scene.  But the Ida suicide and Leaf's last stand are just blatant theft. 

I am unfamiliar with Ida though a lingering shot for dramatic effect is used quite often.  I do not know if Ida is consider the first or is just the most known for the shot.

With Aliens it was talk about in the behind the scenes for the door and to some extent. Rip off implies, for me, of wanting to pass it off as their own that was done before so their acknowledgement does not mean it was to rip off but to pay homage.

1 minute ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I am unfamiliar with Ida though a lingering shot for dramatic effect is used quite often.  I do not know if Ida is consider the first or is just the most known for the shot.

With Aliens it was talk about in the behind the scenes for the door and to some extent. Rip off implies, for me, of wanting to pass it off as their own that was done before so their acknowledgement does not mean it was to rip off but to pay homage.

I don't watch the Inside the Episodes so I don't know.  If they acknowledge it, then good for them.  It was still an inappropriate vibe for the scene and came across cartoonish in that scenario and accomplished nothing but stealing some dramatic tension from the awesome Hold the Door part of the scene.

Anyway, here's something I stole from Le Cygne's (I spelled that wrong) signature.  A GRRM penned episode stealing paying homage to a classic version of Beauty and the Beast.  Enjoy.

1 minute ago, thehandwipes said:

I don't watch the Inside the Episodes so I don't know.  If they acknowledge it, then good for them.  It was still an inappropriate vibe for the scene and came across cartoonish in that scenario and accomplished nothing but stealing some dramatic tension from the awesome Hold the Door part of the scene.

Anyway, here's something I stole from Le Cygne's (I spelled that wrong) signature.  A GRRM penned episode stealing paying homage to a classic version of Beauty and the Beast.  Enjoy.

Well disagree, especially on the Hodor part.

Also, it was not an inside an episode but a behind the scenes making of mini-docs they did with each of the directors. Just to clarify.

17 minutes ago, thehandwipes said:

One thing I don't get is why the show feels the need to rip off, steal, pay homage or borrow inspiration from anything other than the source material. There is certainly enough story, emotion, and character motivation to pull from. The same with imagery for the film directors. 

37 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

One thing I don't get is why the show feels the need to rip off, steal, pay homage or borrow inspiration from anything other than the source material. There is certainly enough story, emotion, and character motivation to pull from. The same with imagery for the film directors. 

It is a tv show and is a visual medium.  You have people who life involves this medium and in adaptation to the visual medium they will want to use what are they know and are inspire from.

Just as GRRM draws alot on literacy themes and devices for the books.

Miguel Sapochnik confirms what we already knew that the Godfather was one of the inspirations for the first 20 minutes of the finale.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/06/miguel-sapochnik-game-of-thrones-finale-director.html

The Godfather definitely had a hand in the conception of this sequence, but I also looked at various James Bond sequences for the explosions of the villain’s lairs. We wanted to make sure that it didn’t feel like a cheap trick to blow up the Sept of Baelor, and at the same time embrace the fact that it was something that people probably saw coming. How could we make it still feel like a shock?

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I agree, spend more time stealing from the source material and less from other irrelevant sources, I'm not sure where they stole the finger rape and smell scene from but I certainly am not alone in wishing they left it there!

I'm not sure there isn't a single tv show or movie that isn't using a number of visual cues and tropes that have evolved over the past century. To complain and something like Game of Thrones 'ripping off' movies is pretty ridiculous, the entire artform is a constant rechurning of the same ideas. As the saying goes:

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

Why rip-off?

One of the methods employed by the beginner artists is to mimic artists of renown. In case of photography it means "recreating" famous paintings, photos or scenes. The goal however is to learn the laws of composition and light, not to copy the style itself. Nevertheless people who learn through this method often unintentionally draw from their inspirations. This is acceptable only in some cases. For example if you are doing documental photography, you cannot (or at least should not) control what is happening before the camera. You have little time to react (not enough to switch position not to mention changing lenses) and adjust to the situation instinctively. The other case is when you openly attempt an artistic project that is called "tribute" in such which case making references to the source is obvious necessity.

Clearly Game of Thrones is not a document. Every day of shooting a bunch of guys sits down and discusses how they would do things. What lenses? Which filters? How much light? What time of the day? What weather? Do we use smoke? How far camera should be from the characters? Then the director tells the actors exactly where they are to stand and how much can they move around the scene. For such an epic as Game of Thrones you expect that a new style would be developed - a blend of different directors approach to what has been planned and done in previous episodes. Developing unique Game of Thrones aesthetics.

Instead they go lazy on us. They sit down on their asses and director says: "let's do it Aliens-style". Popular culture pulp. And the best they can do nowadays is to pick more ambitious pictures like "Apocalypse now" or "Ida" from time to time and rip them off in hope this will appear like they've maintained some of the former artistic level.

Paying homage is fine. Nonetheless, I don't find the piano sequence Godfather-esque, as it is so weak and lack of emotion. The piano notes repeat themselves without providing the audience any emotional anchor, whereas the latin chants and organ setups a moral contrast and something ominous to come. The sequence feels like some film school project, and executed jarringly.

That said, the Battle of Bastard is a carbon copy of both Battle of Blackwater and LOTR's Helm's Deep. Take away the some good looking visual stuns, all is left is an old and tired narrative cliche.

Archived