Cersei as queen - how is she accepted by the realm?

Stupid question

She just became a queen. We don't know how the other lords and high born will react.

There is no one else

This has happened in history 

most people could not care less who is on the iron throne of their day to day life doesn't change whatsoever.

SHE JIST BECAME THE QUEEN

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Cersei took the throne because she could. It's the only thing she has now and she took it and plans to keep it through sheer, blind pant-shitting terror.

Do I think she can keep it? Hell no. I bet she doesn't even think she can keep it, but at least while she reins, she does things on her terms. No one telling her who to marry, no outside forces judging or constraining her. She can probably keep power in King's Landing through brute force and fear, but doubt she has any sway beyond that very small circle of influence.

That is pretty much my thought as well.  She is "queen" because there are no true claimants anymore and she was queen and queen mother.  Plus no one is going to argue with her because as of right now she has an army, and people are most likely terrified of her (much like the North was too afraid of Ramsay to rise up because they didn't want to get flayed living).  But he methods will just lead people to resent her and even without Dany coming to offer an alternative, would most likely rise up against her.  But she's too crazy/arrogant to think anyone can beat her.

48 minutes ago, Rumy Stark said:

Her opposition is the combined forces of Dany, Higharden, and Dorne, who are coming at her with a giant army and dragons at the moment. She has no support up north of KL as Jon just became King in the North with support from The Vale, and the Freys no longer hold the Riverlands, so basically.... she has mega opposition and no support. She won't hold the throne for long. 

She won't hold the throne but she damn well took it because their was no one there that would dare oppose her. 

People talking about "lines of succession" as if that really matters when she just killed everyone and there's no one left to contest it. 

Quote: Firewinds 

"Everyone else needs time to regroup after what has happened and need to form a plan." 

And that is exactly what's happening, all the other main players are making their plans and will make their moves in time.. 

I don't think that Cersei would be considered to have any kind of "legal" claim under whatever kind of primogeniture exists in Westeros (apart from Dorne of course, though I don't the show ever established that). The claim to the Iron Throne derives entirely from Robert, so any suitable male Baratheon relative would be considered first. If Shireen were still with us, she would have a better claim (as would Stannis of course). 

But after executing her bloody coup d'état, Cersei simply avoided any pretense of legality and had herself installed as Queen. She killed all her local enemies and rivals. Her "coronation" wasn't anything endorsed by the great houses or nobility, much less the Faith, or "civil society" institutions like the Citadel, all of which have considerable resources and influence outside the King's Landing bubble. 

And, of course, even Franken-Gregor will be a poor match for dragon fire. 

The majority of her support will be from the Westerlands. The show has already given the West the largest and most powerful army in Westeros for the sake of plot.

The Crownlands never seemed to have any military force to speak of in the show aside from the royal fleet and Dragonstone forces, and both are gone.

Euron seems to be the obvious choice to marry her. We know he wants the Iron Throne, and a marriage with Cersei is the quickest way there. I feel he is being underestimated a bit, and a union between him and Cersei will give Daenerys a bigger challenge than we think.

The Riverlands are in disarray. With the Freys headed to a civil war, the other lords of the Riverlands will finally get their chance to win their independence from the Freys and the crown. They seem to be destined for Jon.

If there are any forces from the Stormlands left, I'd bet they will flock to Daenerys quickly. Any remaining lords and knights there must be feeling disgruntled over the extinction of their ruling dynasty at the hands of Cersei, and their defeat at the Blackwater by the Lannisters. Siding with Dany is the best  and only option they have to get back at the Lannisters.

Apperantly Theres a  leaked snippet of a AScipt of The Mountain turing on Qyburn and GFliging him out of a Window. THis is allegedly in epsidoe 3 and Jamie (who is a VERY unpopular lord of Castlerly rock)  is made hand. He never gets round to it though as he is Stormed with Dothraki and is arrested by Jorah (whos returned and is missing an arm) The Reason why the Mountain has Killed Qyburn in a random outburst. Actuly Sansa is upset at the brutal deaths or her Friends Margery and Loras and thinks Jamie piushed Tommen out of the Window. She expresses outrage on Qyburn but Laments that theres nothing she can do Bran overhears this (its not clear where he is wheather hes returned to winterfell or still at the wall) Wargs into the Moutnain.  

12 hours ago, FireWinds said:

Just like history book after history book of tyrannical leaders that conquer lands and becoming their new leaders. They have no right nor claim to lead but they do anyway because they've wiped out anyone who says otherwise. 

Not at all as common as people think. In most wars above tribal level a conqueror would seek to justify his claim. For example, the Hundred Years' War was started by a British king who claimed the French crown was rightfully his because of his lineage. He really just wanted France, but he tried to justify it. (And they said in Britain that if they didn't defeat France they'd soon all be forced to speak French.) Even Attila the Hun claimed that Jupited had given him his sword and the right to rule. A foolish princess in Gaul said she'd marry Attila to end the wars, and then he slaughtered his way toward Gaul, claiming she was his by right and he was just coming to get his bride. A flimsy excuse, but he justified his conquest that way.

The Persian king's invasion of Greece came because the Greeks had been giving aid to Greek cities in what is now Turkey, who had been conquered by Persians earlier. Those rebels hadn't just risen up either, they claimed that they had a right to independence after a tyrant (the word meant ruler) left a city. Later, Alexander the Great's conquest of Persia had a couple of centuries of reasons behind it.

The Crusades came because Arabs were attacking European ships all over the Middle East. They raided European towns and villages by the coast and took hundreds of thousands of slaves, especially seeking to capture European women. The Crusades broke the pirates' grip of the Mediterranean. They were also about ensuring Christian access to Jerusalem, which they considered the Arab invaders to have no claim to. The Crusades became a long period of wars, which after the first war had other reasons, but it was never just about "here we come". And the Arab cities that much later united under Saladdin against the Crusader state in Jerusalem could also claim they had a right to attack the city.

The Great Nordic War was about Poland-Saxony, Denmark-Norway and Russia, all Sweden's neighbors, seeking to invade Sweden and divide it between themselves, taking the chance while King Karl XII was only eighteen. For this land grab they could claim old territorial disputes.

A great many invasions were precipitated by smaller conflicts that you don't see much of in the history books. And territorial claims. Sometimes bad excuses, sometimes very good reasons.

But people know very little history today and like to simplify it as "war BAD! The past is evil!"

25 minutes ago, Twenty of House Goodmen said:

The majority of her support will be from the Westerlands. The show has already given the West the largest and most powerful army in Westeros for the sake of plot.

The Crownlands never seemed to have any military force to speak of in the show aside from the royal fleet and Dragonstone forces, and both are gone.

Euron seems to be the obvious choice to marry her. We know he wants the Iron Throne, and a marriage with Cersei is the quickest way there. I feel he is being underestimated a bit, and a union between him and Cersei will give Daenerys a bigger challenge than we think.

The Riverlands are in disarray. With the Freys headed to a civil war, the other lords of the Riverlands will finally get their chance to win their independence from the Freys and the crown. They seem to be destined for Jon.

If there are any forces from the Stormlands left, I'd bet they will flock to Daenerys quickly. Any remaining lords and knights there must be feeling disgruntled over the extinction of their ruling dynasty at the hands of Cersei, and their defeat at the Blackwater by the Lannisters. Siding with Dany is the best  and only option they have to get back at the Lannisters.

I doubt she'll have much support from the West the way Jaime was looking at her

11 hours ago, Charles Stuart said:

The general theory as far as I know is that some baratheon married into the lannister line 4 or so generations back with this branch being the sole remaining descendant of any baratheon line.So with no Tywin, tyrion or Jaimie around to be eligible, cersei becomes the sovereign.

Looking back through the Lannister family tree as far back as I go, there isn't a Targ marriage.

4 minutes ago, Boarsbane said:

I doubt she'll have much support from the West the way Jaime was looking at her

Jaime was definitely upset, but I don't think he will betray her until the very end. Cersei is the main human antagonist, so she has to last up until the last episode of next season. I could see Jaime serving her reluctantly until Daenerys lays siege to the city, and Cersei starts brewing up more wildfire.

5 minutes ago, Twenty of House Goodmen said:

Jaime was definitely upset, but I don't think he will betray her until the very end. Cersei is the main human antagonist, so she has to last up until the last episode of next season. I could see Jaime serving her reluctantly until Daenerys lays siege to the city, and Cersei starts brewing up more wildfire.

I predict it will play out differently. They've set up a situation where Cerise's only power backing is the Lannisters, controlled by Jaime. She really depends on Jaime's military support from now on. As everyone is predicting, Jaime will likely eventually turn on Cersei, it's just a matter of when. 

Moreover, I wouldn't consider Cersei the main human antagonist. There is still Littlefinger, and it's not clear to me Westeros will see Dany as a great liberator. She's going to show up mostly an unknown, with 3 frightening dragons, a horde of foreign Dothrakhi pillagers and rapists, as well as a foreign army of Unsullied. It's not clear Dany is a protagonist at this point. 

Just now, Lordsteve666 said:

So Cersei essentially exterminated all rivals and threats to her in Kings Landing, along with hundreds of poor bystanders who got caught in the explosion. 

Now im going to assume that Qyburns little sparrows have been out spreading word this is a terrible accident, a result of a forgotten wildfire stockpile going up. Otherwise there's no way the population would just roll over and accept her rule knowing she was to blame for that massacre. I imagine some form of Qyburn driven propaganda machine is in play to make it seem like she is free of blame. You'd have open rebellion and rioting on the streets if the people knew what she had a part in doing  

But....still there are some big problems. Tommen killed himself, why is nobody questioning this, plus he never got to the trial and was detained in the Red Keep. Cersei was on trial for crimes against the gods, and is now free to take the throne and nobody questions this either? 

I mean is she ruling as some tyrannical dictator now I assume, using her undead bodyguard to kill off and terrorise the opposition? I just seems a bit too convenient that she just walked in and took the throne, there must at least be some sort of rule of succession that must be followed. I can't see the population of Westeros just rolling over and accepting anyone as their new leader. 

Varys teleporting from Dorne to Mereen in the same episode, Dany promoting Tyrion for screwing up royal, Jon Snow being proclaimed King in the North even though he has no connection to them and Yohn Royce had to save his ass, Cersei Lannister taking over the Seven Kingdom even though she has absolutely no blood claim on Westeros... the writers just don't care.

I doubt anyone outside of the Lannisters in the West support her. The entire realm will be in a war next season with Dany and Euron staking their claims. The Freys are joke tier even before Arya instigating a succession crisis itself there. I can see most of the remaining houses in the Riverlands straight up rebelling as the Lannister forces become occupied with The Reach and Dorne. And the Stormlands may as well not exist in the show so I doubt they will be of any consequence.

Now, the show can always do some things to balance out the conflict. Either Euron joins forces with Cersei in trade for the crown or someone like Randall Tarly bargains with Cersei (offering his heir to her as a husband?) and rebels against the Tyrell army.

Thing is, the realm is rather sparse in the show. 

The Westerlands are basically reduced to Jaime and Cersei. 

The Riverlands are basically Edmure and a handful of Freys. 

The Vale is Littlefinger, Robin and Royce. 

The Reach is Olenna and the Tarlys. 

Dorne is Ellaria and the Sand Snakes. 

The Iron Islands is Euron, Theon and Yara.

The Stormlands and Crownlands don't seem to exist anymore. 

The North does include a few more lords but that's because they were needed to hail Jon as KitN. 

Which is good in a way because we're so close to the endgame that the show can't afford to get bogged down with like House Manwoody or whatever, but there's such a thing as having very few characters, because the whole thing might look a bit bare bones moving forward.

Case in point: Right now the rabble/smallfolk of KL don't have a face, the opposition to Cersei is basically faceless, so that's why we have no reaction to her coup yet. 

Is the question from the original post assuming that Cersei *IS ALREADY* accepted as a legitimate monarch by "the Realm"and is just asking why?  Because that assumption is dubious at best.

1. The North declared Jon, King in the North.  The Vale is implicitly going along with it.

2.  The Reach, Dorne, Iron Islands are all aligning with or trying to ally with Dany.

3.  At  the end of the episode she basically coronated herself in the power vacuum, with no time yet for any major houses to react.

Who's to say they "accepted" it? 

I think her main arc next season will be trying to legitimize and maintain her power, precisely because her claim is NOT widely accepted.

Hopefully all that wonderful imagery and fabulous outfit weren't just random, and Cersei has simply installed herself as a tyrant. I don't think she cares about legitimacy and certainly hope she doesn't try to "cover up" the Great Sept terror attack. I hope she attempts to rule by fear, with Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Frankenstein's monster, and lots of wildfire, even if what she's ruling is little more than a city-state in the ruins of what was once a feudal realm. Anyway, it won't last long.

1 hour ago, Greg B said:

Hopefully all that wonderful imagery and fabulous outfit weren't just random, and Cersei has simply installed herself as a tyrant. I don't think she cares about legitimacy and certainly hope she doesn't try to "cover up" the Great Sept terror attack. I hope she attempts to rule by fear, with Dr. Frankenstein, Dr. Frankenstein's monster, and lots of wildfire, even if what she's ruling is little more than a city-state in the ruins of what was once a feudal realm. Anyway, it won't last long.

I think it's actually in her (short-term) interest not to deny involvement in the attack on the Great Sept.  She needs the people to fear her, because nothing else will make them submit to her. They despise her, and after her walk of shame, they won't willing respect or recognize her authority.

Tyranny is her only option of keeping power in the short-term. As for the long-term, she's lost, and deep down she surely knows that. 

3 hours ago, Dragon_Rider said:

Is the question from the original post assuming that Cersei *IS ALREADY* accepted as a legitimate monarch by "the Realm"and is just asking why?  Because that assumption is dubious at best.

1. The North declared Jon, King in the North.  The Vale is implicitly going along with it.

2.  The Reach, Dorne, Iron Islands are all aligning with or trying to ally with Dany.

3.  At  the end of the episode she basically coronated herself in the power vacuum, with no time yet for any major houses to react.

Who's to say they "accepted" it? 

I think her main arc next season will be trying to legitimize and maintain her power, precisely because her claim is NOT widely accepted.

For all intents and purposes the Seven Kingdoms is dissolved at the moment. There's nobody left to accept Cersei as Queen. Dorne and the Reach have seceded and taken Dany as their Queen likely with the Stormlands soon to follow.

The North and the Vale have seceded and formed an alliance, the North has taken Jon as their King, and the most likely scenario is the Riverlands will finish off the Freys and join the North/Vale partnership.

That's 6 of the 7 Kingdoms right there. Cersei has the Westerlands and the Lannister army but is literally surrounded by enemies. Likely Euron will look to join with her creating the potential for The Battle of Three Arnies. But King Jon's focus is elsewhere so the Northern Alliance will prob'ly sit out, leaving Dany to take the Iron Throne and re-unite the 4 southern kingdoms plus the capital. So Cersei's reign, such as it is, will last precisely as long as it takes for Dany to get her forces ready for her invasion.

19 hours ago, Lordsteve666 said:

So Cersei essentially exterminated all rivals and threats to her in Kings Landing, along with hundreds of poor bystanders who got caught in the explosion. 

Now im going to assume that Qyburns little sparrows have been out spreading word this is a terrible accident, a result of a forgotten wildfire stockpile going up. Otherwise there's no way the population would just roll over and accept her rule knowing she was to blame for that massacre. I imagine some form of Qyburn driven propaganda machine is in play to make it seem like she is free of blame. You'd have open rebellion and rioting on the streets if the people knew what she had a part in doing  

But....still there are some big problems. Tommen killed himself, why is nobody questioning this, plus he never got to the trial and was detained in the Red Keep. Cersei was on trial for crimes against the gods, and is now free to take the throne and nobody questions this either? 

I mean is she ruling as some tyrannical dictator now I assume, using her undead bodyguard to kill off and terrorise the opposition? I just seems a bit too convenient that she just walked in and took the throne, there must at least be some sort of rule of succession that must be followed. I can't see the population of Westeros just rolling over and accepting anyone as their new leader. 

agreed. practically ridiculous. and the wildfire explosion has been seen on tv before - namely one of the season finales on melrose place. except on that show, the bimbos and airheads were killed off; and on this show, they kill off the most intelligent character in one fell swoop.

Archived