Who can Dany marry in Westeros?

norwaywolf123

I think the Stormlands are closer to the North, Vale & Riverlands than to the Reach & Dorne. 

Cersie's burning of most of the Crown Lands should probably cause the Lords there to flock to that alliance.

It's the same one that brought down the Targ's in the first place, so marrying Jon is her best option. She might even have him knock up Sansa & a Sand Snake of two as part of the deal.

5 hours ago, ArthurDude said:

I don't think Dany marries at all. I see more of an Elizabeth I approach. Offer everyone, consent to no one. 

The Dragon Must Have Three Heads

Danaerys is the Aegon the Conqueror come again, so she must have two dragon-riding Targaryen husbands as he had two dragon-riding Targaryen wives.

Tyrion and FakeJon are the only possible candidates.

5 hours ago, Mister Stoneheart said:

I agree with you, but the show won't have Jon marry Dany because of the incest.  In the show it seems Tyrion is the most obvious choice (unless Jaime separates from Cersei).   I'm saying this while acknowledging the facts that have been presented above (good points all).  I'm saying that I can see D&D marrying Tyrion and Dany.

Incest is a matter of law, not of cooties. And it does not apply here.

1. Only marriage between first-degree relatives counts as incest in Westeros because that is the only one prohibited by law. That means between full siblings or parents and children. Even then it doesn’t count as incest (read: before the law) if you’re a Targaryen and they’re siblings not parents with children.
  2. Aunts/nephews. uncles/nieces, and half-siblings are all second-degree relations.
  3. Cousins and half-uncles are third-degree relations.

Mind you, it isn’t genetically recommended before third-degree in the real world (and perhaps in Westeros), but it does happen. Plus third-degree marriages are common as dirt in the real world and in Westeros alike.

We’ve seen second-degree relatives marry before in Westeros, even in non-Targaryens like the Karstarks. Remember how from the Dance of Dragons that Prince Daemon’s third wife was his niece the Princess Rhaenyra. That makes them second-degree relations. And their son came to rule as Aegon III.

Since FakeJon is the son of Danaerys’s brother, that makes her his aunt, which is only second-degree and not first, so not incest. If Tyrion is Aerys’s son then he’s Dany’s half-brother and FakeJon’s half-uncle. Given that it looks both Tyrion and FakeJon appear to be second-degree relations of Danarys’s, it is not incest by definition (relations forbidden by law).  And there is historical precedent for such marriages, especially amongst the Targaryens.

Only if FakeJon and Danaerys were somehow first-degree relations (really unclear how that could be true!) would there be a perceived problem, and even then they could always play the old Targaryen Get Out of Incest Free card.

I’ll let you work out for yourself the degrees if Rhaegar is actually Rhaella’s son by Ser Bonifer Hasty instead of Aerys’s, which seems likely given how he didn’t seem to have messed-up genetics, or if Danaerys is actually Rhaegar’s daughter by Ashara Dayne.  But all of those scenarios would give Dany a better change of having sound children with FakeJon and Tyrion. 

I mean sure, they’ll probably be fine anyway, given that I can’t figure out any sane way to make any of those three full siblings of each other. 

Oh, I forgot that since Rhaegar and Danaerys are not just siblings but also double first cousins, then FakeJon as Rheagar’s son is also both Dany’s nephew and also his double first cousin once removed

That gives Dany and FakeJon a consanguinity factor of ¼ for the aunt/nephew component plus another ¼ for also being double first cousins once removed, so ½, the classic Targaryen coin-flip.

That’s equivalent to being first-degree relatives like siblings, a consanguinity factor which leads to a 50% failure rate in children whether crippled, retarded, stillborn, and/or botched pregnancy possibly killing the mother.

Let’s just hope Rhaegar’s father was really Ser Bonifer after all. Otherwise Dany might perish simply by bringing FakeJon’s child to light.  After all, it did kill both their mothers.

Dany has already dismissed Eurion as a candidate so I won't discuss him.

Jon would bring the North to the table and there would be the added benefit of him being of Targaryen blood. The main con would also be that very same Targaryen blood. Jon may very well have a better claim than she does and she could feel threatened by that. I can't see Dany just handing over everything she's built up over these years to him if he does have the better claim.

Jaime would bring a lot to the table. The Tudor analogy is obvious and it would end the blood feud between the Targaryens and Lannisters. Down side is this would alienate Dorne and the Reach and there is that very minor detail of marrying the man who killed your father, justified or not.

Robin Arryn would be an interesting choice. It would bring the Vale into the fold and she'd have little difficulty dominating that union. Beyond that though, there would seem to be little benefit to marrying him and this would cause issues with Littlefinger. Maybe she should just marry him. Imagine the fan outrage. :P

Jaime: No way. Cersei is in the Iron Throne. He might be pissed of because of episode 10, but you know... I don't think he's going to support Dany against Cersei. At best, if he no longer stands Cersei, he would stay neutral. Besides, Jaime has no rights upon the Iron Throne. Casterly Rock should be given to Tyrion.

Euron: I don't think so. Euron want to own Dany and her dragons.

Robin Arryn: Nope. No way. It might be a political marriage, but Dany had trouble marrying a weakling like Hizdahr, let alone a fool brat like Robin.

I bet: Either she won't marry or she marry Jon (I know, typical, but it will give her the North (which might come with the Vale "for free"), and with Dorne, The Reach, and The Iron Islands behind... that is not much of a war, but a fast conquest.

On 6/28/2016 at 10:57 PM, nothatso said:

Contrary to OP's very obvious biases, Jon appears to be the most eligible bachelor in Westeros right now. I want to be clear that I generally take no part in shipping and really don't even like Dany. (though in the S6 finale she grew on me a bit)

That said, I want to address the sentiment that many people have who generally don't like the idea because it's "too cliche". I don't think it needs to be cliche. What if they don't like each other? What if one or both takes a lover? What if Dany dies in childbirth? What if everybody dies except them and they rule over a kingdom of ash and bones? The story doesn't need to be "happily ever after" just because two popular characters wed.

Dany does have two followers with her who are very familiar with the Stark siblings now. Any apprehension might have to come from Jon's side. Maybe due to his finding out they're related. Or perhaps Bran refrains from telling Jon that he and Dany are related in favor of pushing him to marry Dany to prevent an invasion.

However I will say it's exactly the idea that it seems the most politically beneficial and therefor most obvious pairing that I expect somebody to throw a wrench in that potential plan and either prevent it from happening or greatly sour the relationship. Littlefinger for example would likely do everything he can to prevent such a union.

Consider also that dragons may not be a trump card. Bran or someone else may be able to counter them. Dany may not have as much of a power advantage as many assume.

This.

It would be political marriage not love affair.

I would like it if Dany's army gets into trouble and the North bails her out.  Or the North is trying to prevent the Lannisters from invading and inadvertently helps out Dany.  That would establish an equal relationship between the two.  I cannot see a scenario where the North just submits to KL again (although they did unintentionally kneel to dragons.)  It will need to be an alliance between to countries and Jon-Dany as co rulers.  

But from everyone's standpoint, it is the best match.  Dany is going to have trouble conquering the North (and Vale) during winter and Jon needs the dragons.  The issue for the writers is making sure that it doesn't go Disney fantasy true love and quite sappy.  I could see a scenario where they do not like each other that much and perhaps it grows into more of a friendship.  I could also see a scenario where Jon finds marrying his auntie objectionable.  Or perhaps a political alliance that grows into mutual affection and either Jon or Dany dies.  I could see an ending where they win but Dany dies in childbirth or something like that.

I don't see the point of Dany's marrying anyone unless she can produce an heir.

If she can't, just marry for love or keep a lover.

If she can, than I can see being more picky who she lets in her bed. I suppose Jon or Tyrion would be the best choices there.

Oh wait, Tyrion is MINE so no, she can marry Jon. ;)

3 hours ago, KINGpanther said:

Why mention Jamie? I see Jaime deserting Cersei when Dany arrives along with the remains of the Lannister army to head North and help the Starks, which Jon will accept for more swords against the Walkers.

I think you have it wrong. Jamie does not approve of what she is doing but lets face the facts I highly doubt he will abandon his sister.  The man has broken oaths for her, started a war for her, loved her, when you love someone it's not an off or on switch even if you don't like them. Not to mention your scenario would cause a civil war in Danny's forces that would not be beneficial to her.

Once Cersei and Jamie have been taken out the picture then guess who rules Casterly Rock...Tyrion her second in command. And by disposing of those two Danny would have the allegiance of Kings Landing, Dorne, High Garden, and the Storm Lands. All that would be left would be the Iron Islands, the North, the Vale, the Dragon Stone, and the River Lands.

And guess what...a marriage to Jon & a naval war with the Iron Islands would pretty much eliminate all opposition to her rule. Then we can have a united Westeros & Essos against the WW in the next game of thrones.

10 hours ago, Tyrion's Third Wife said:

I don't see the point of Dany's marrying anyone unless she can produce an heir.

If she can't, just marry for love or keep a lover.

If she can, than I can see being more picky who she lets in her bed. I suppose Jon or Tyrion would be the best choices there.

Oh wait, Tyrion is MINE so no, she can marry Jon. ;)

Because this is set in a period of time when they still have marriages that actually work ;)

People fall in and out of love very quickly so there has to be something that holds a marriage together. Whether it be religion, career, or whatever. Jon is an honorable man, he would marry Danny if it meant unifying the 7 kingdoms and fighting the real threat. And Danny would marry him if it meant accomplishing her goal.

But she really has no clue what she is in for once she reaches it....

On 6/30/2016 at 11:13 AM, illinifan said:

I would like it if Dany's army gets into trouble and the North bails her out.  Or the North is trying to prevent the Lannisters from invading and inadvertently helps out Dany.  That would establish an equal relationship between the two.  I cannot see a scenario where the North just submits to KL again (although they did unintentionally kneel to dragons.)  It will need to be an alliance between to countries and Jon-Dany as co rulers.  

But from everyone's standpoint, it is the best match.  Dany is going to have trouble conquering the North (and Vale) during winter and Jon needs the dragons.  The issue for the writers is making sure that it doesn't go Disney fantasy true love and quite sappy.  I could see a scenario where they do not like each other that much and perhaps it grows into more of a friendship.  I could also see a scenario where Jon finds marrying his auntie objectionable.  Or perhaps a political alliance that grows into mutual affection and either Jon or Dany dies.  I could see an ending where they win but Dany dies in childbirth or something like that.

I think Danny fits the bill of what Jon like's givien his previous relationship....He likes strong willed women. And to top that Danny is not that bad looking either...I'm not sure why so many people think he would not marry her.

He literally fits every quality she wants, it would just be a marriage in name. Jon would be the King in the North where no one really wants to go anyway and Danny would rule the rest of Westeros.

1 hour ago, House_Tony_Stark said:

I think Danny fits the bill of what Jon like's giving his previous relationship....He likes strong willed women. And to top that Danny is not that bad looking either...I'm not sure why so many people think he would not marry her.

He literally fits every quality she wants, it would just be a marriage in name. Jon would be the King in the North where no one really wants to go anyway and Danny would rule the rest of Westeros.

Because he is her nephew and because it is too cliche fairy tale.  The magic princess with dragons marries the handsome prince and they defeat the ice zombies and live happily ever after..  The end.  That is the wrong series.  

But the way the board is set and what is being hinted out (i.e. Dany leaving man candy back in Meereen), it makes sense from a storytelling and political standpoint.  The show has pointed out that the North is very difficult to invade (cough: Russia: cough) and that having dragons doesn't necessarily mean that one can win either the war or the peace (i.e. the whole Meereen arc).  Jon is the only eligible bachelor from the nobility with real political power as of the Season 6 finale and he controls the part of Westros that would be most difficult for her to conquer.  For Jon's standpoint, making the alliance would mean being able to use the dragons against the ice zombies.  The fact that the North is unconquerable especially during winter would ensure the North's independence and an equal power dynamic between the two.  It would be a co-rulership scenario like Ferdinand and Isabella in Spain.  However, the main snag is that it is so clique and Disney fantasy.  How do you make that work without getting sappy and sentimental?

10 minutes ago, illinifan said:

Because he is her nephew and because it is too cliche fairy tale.  The magic princess with dragons marries the handsome prince and they defeat the ice zombies and live happily ever after..  The end.  That is the wrong series.  

But the way the board is set and what is being hinted out (i.e. Dany leaving man candy back in Meereen), it makes sense from a storytelling and political standpoint.  The show has pointed out that the North is very difficult to invade (cough: Russia: cough) and that having dragons doesn't necessarily mean that one can win either the war or the peace (i.e. the whole Meereen arc).  Jon is the only eligible bachelor from the nobility with real political power as of the Season 6 finale and he controls the part of Westros that would be most difficult for her to conquer.  For Jon's standpoint, making the alliance would mean being able to use the dragons against the ice zombies.  The fact that the North is unconquerable especially during winter would ensure the North's independence and an equal power dynamic between the two.  It would be a co-rulership scenario like Ferdinand and Isabella in Spain.  However, the main snag is that it is so clique and Disney fantasy.  How do you make that work without getting sappy and sentimental?

Even if it does seem cliche from a story telling perspective something just can't be shocking and dramatic or they just become stupid and pointless. Jon, the Wildlings, and the Nightswatch are the only people living who have experience fighting the White Walkers or even know of the existence.

How stupid would it be for Danny to start a conquest only to have the White Walkers go on a rampage and take everything right back? The likely thing at this point is that she will conquer most of Westeros then marry Jon who will then assure her that they are real and are coming. Then they will probably end the season and reboot the series as (Game of Thrones the Long Night).

I know the author probably wants to end things with the next book but people are actually demanding more of this show. And feel like even with six seasons the show has been very rushed.

59 minutes ago, illinifan said:

How is marriage between aunt and nephew cliche?

Archived