Gilly’s Baby and the Passage of Time.

sifth

Alright I know that people like to say the time frame for this show is all over the place and that some events happen weeks/months into the future, when scenes shift. So a good friend of mine told me a solution to this confusion, but it all ended up making me more confused and that’s Gilly’s baby. The kid seems to have hardly grown at all these past few seasons and the fact that we’re meant to believe months if not years have gone by since that kid was born and he’s skill not walking yet. I’m sorry, but this seems like a massive plot hole/oversight on D&D’s part.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Alright I know that people like to say the time frame for this show is all over the place and that some events happen weeks/months into the future, when scenes shift. So a good friend of mine told me a solution to this confusion, but it all ended up making me more confused and that’s Gilly’s baby. The kid seems to have hardly grown at all these past few seasons and the fact that we’re meant to believe months if not years have gone by since that kid was born and he’s skill not walking yet. I’m sorry, but this seems like a massive plot hole/oversight on D&D’s part.

Awesome thread, I started chuckling as soon as I read the title, cuz I knew where you were going immediately, even though I hadn't really thought about it before myself.

Gilly's baby does NOT seem to be aging, even though by this point quite a bit of time has passed since the baby was born.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

He's freaking huge. He looks like he's two, two and a half. The fact that he's not walking or talking yet probably has more to do with the fact that he's the product of 300 years of inbreeding than anything else.

43 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

He's freaking huge. He looks like he's two, two and a half. The fact that he's not walking or talking yet probably has more to do with the fact that he's the product of 300 years of inbreeding than anything else.

I just looked at the Old Town scene from the newest episode and the kid is no older than a 1 year old at best.

My baby cousin is two and a half, she walks, she talks, and she even swims.

18 minutes ago, sifth said:

I just looked at the Old Town scene from the newest episode and the kid is no older than a 1 year old at best.

My recollection is that the height difference between a 1 year old and a two year old is fairly small. Looking at some quickly googled growth charts, the average 1 year old is ~75cm(30in), the average 2 year old is ~87cm(34in). If you think you can spot a 12cm(4in) difference on a swaddled kid in its mothers arm on a TV screen you've got better eyes than me.

Anyone have some stills? Let's measure some goddamn pixels and settle this shit.

Just now, Damon_Tor said:

My recollection is that the height difference between a 1 year old and a two year old is fairly small. Looking at some quickly googled growth charts, the average 1 year old is ~75cm(30in), the average 2 year old is ~87cm(34in). If you think you can spot a 12cm(4in) difference on a swaddled kid in its mothers arm on a TV screen you've got better eyes than me.

Anyone have some stills? Let's measure some goddamn pixels and settle this shit.

You just haven't been around kids enough if you think this boy is growing naturally. I've had to deal with 4 children in my life and all of them were walking and talking around the age of 2.

At least the books have an excuse to why the kids is so young for all of AFFC's

The fact that it's Mance child and Gilly's real baby is all, but written out of the story.

He looks big to me, at least 2. But my 1 year old daughter is in like the 5th percentile so maybe that influences me. She's 13 months, weighs 18lbs and is half the size of this kid at best. 

Also, I think him not talking/walking is because a talking/walking baby in the show would be stupid for the types of scenes they've shown. Older kids still get carried (my kid can easily cruise around on her own with a walker but prefers to be carried 99% of the time) and what would be the point of having him babble incoherently at the camera? Just because he hasn't been shown to be able to do those things doesn't mean he can't. He's pretty much a set piece. 

Gilly's baby has always been the single biggest problem with the timeline. I'm glad he finally aged up this season; although it looks like he made a pretty massive jump from last season to this one, guess to make up for lost time.

4 hours ago, sifth said:

You just haven't been around kids enough if you think this boy is growing naturally. I've had to deal with 4 children in my life and all of them were walking and talking around the age of 2.

How many of them had their grandfather as their father? That might push back some development. I'm saying (a) his size isn't that far off and (b) I wouldn't EXPECT him to develop normally anyway.

Every kid develops differently, and when they've got risk factors like incest and terrible conditions during the pregnancy and the first few weeks of life maybe we shouldn't be expecting the kid to be at the top of the curve. The fact that he's ALIVE is a freaking miracle of nature, and you're worried he might not be on track to go into first grade literate.

16 minutes ago, Damon_Tor said:

How many of them had their grandfather as their father? That might push back some development. I'm saying (a) his size isn't that far off and (b) I wouldn't EXPECT him to develop normally anyway.

Every kid develops differently, and when they've got risk factors like incest and terrible conditions during the pregnancy and the first few weeks of life maybe we shouldn't be expecting the kid to be at the top of the curve. The fact that he's ALIVE is a freaking miracle of nature, and you're worried he might not be on track to go into first grade literate.

Most kids start walking at the age of one and talking at the age of two. Little Sam looks like he's barley 1 years old and even that's pushing it.

Trust me I've gone through this 4 times. Also I don't see how Little Sam being the product of incest has somehow delayed his growth, when this is very clearly just a plot hole and shows how little D&D care about how the concept of time works in this series. Given the way D&D mess with time the kid should be anywhere from 3 to 3 1/2, that kid at the end of season 6 did not look 3 years old.

Archived